With a lot of goalies and not as many nets, who gets to stop the shots?

Bonzaijoe

In a seemingly saturated world of goalies, we here at VHL.com have decided to take a look into the upcoming entry draft for the VHL and VHLM and the world of goalies as a whole, as some look from the outside in, trying to scope out empty roster spots to see where they can land. To delve into what it’s like from an outside perspective, we took a seat with Pitt Panthers Goaltender and VHLM Goalie Prospect Joe Nixon to ask him about what it’s like to play goalie in a time where seemingly all the nets already have someone standing in front of them.

“It’s nerve wracking, if I’ll be honest,” Nixon said to us in his interview, “I’m being looked at as a high prospect and I know I’m getting a lot of praise and it’s so flattering but I have got to keep working and I know that’s a damn fact.” When we asked how hard his regimen is going into the draft, he answered, “harder than ever. I can go number one or one hundred, but if I’m going to a team that already has someone there that’s better than me, what’s that gonna do? I gotta work. I gotta get better. I gotta be that number one guy. If I get into the VHLM, how am I supposed to get to the VHL (while sitting) on the bench?” We also asked Joe what his thoughts were on the talent in the league. Nixon responded positively, “Those guys are great, don’t take what I’m saying the wrong way. I’m not gonna go out and be that number one guy immediately and I know that, I’m just saying my work ethic has gotta be hard in a league where goalies are fighting and fighting for that spot. I want people to know that I’m not gonna give up. I got a dream to fulfill, but it’ll take a while to get there with the absolute skill and class you see in the VHL nowadays. Tons and tons of respect for those guys.”

Nixon had one last thing to say, “I’ll stand in front of anyone’s net though, whoever wants me for real. I’m not biased! I’m super stoked for the draft coming up. I’m working hard to keep myself in top shape for it.”

Huge thanks to Joe Nixon for sitting down with us once again! In a world where it’s hard to get playing time as a goalie, the ones who usually do get the minutes end up being the hardest workers, and Joe couldn’t have said it any better.

Just now, Beaviss said:

One thing I'll mention is if you want to swap your position you can free of charge aslong as it's within two weeks of creation.

It's cool, I kinda like the challenge haha

One thing I will ask though is am I able to make a second player before the first finishes and have them playing at the same time? Just in case I do want to have a skater player that I'm not as focused on as I am with my goalie?

1 minute ago, Bonzaijoe said:

13-9 is solid but I'm more of a 42-39 fan tbh

Also good. It's just that I was going to Pitt during 13-9 so it has a bit more of a personal thing for me - I'm probably a tad older than you if I'm guessing. Definitely in recent years with the Penn St rivalry coming back and the West Va rivalry not being played in some time, it kind of changes things around.

21 minutes ago, Bonzaijoe said:

One thing I will ask though is am I able to make a second player before the first finishes and have them playing at the same time? Just in case I do want to have a skater player that I'm not as focused on as I am with my goalie?

Only if you're a GM of a VHL team.

Otherwise, if you commit to retiring a player, you can make another one at the trade deadline and have two players simultaneously for about 1/4 of a season.