Making the Case for a Philadelphia Expansion Team [1/2]

eaglesfan036

Image result for boathouse row

Boathouse Row - My favorite part of Philly

Why Philadelphia Deserves an Expansion Team

This article isn't about debating whether or not we should expand sometime in the near future, but I think if the league keeps growing it's something to consider moving back to 10 teams, or maybe just adding 1 and having 9 teams. There are approximately 5 million reasons why the VHL needs a team in the greatest city on Earth, but for your sake I will narrow it down to five.

1) People Actually Know Where Philadelphia Is

I consider myself to be a decently educated person, as I actually can locate where North Korea is on a map. However, even though I've been in the VHL for seven years, I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure what countries Helsinki, Davos, and Riga are in. Without using the Google, I'm going to guess Helsinki and Davos are in Finland because @Ahma hates Helsinki and loves Davos, and Riga is some Eastern European country but I honestly have no clue. Now picture the average 16 year old or whatever we are trying to recruit, is he going to be attracted to some random ass countries that aren't as awesome as good old USA? No, he wants a team in a real city!

2) Murica

If I had to guess, I would say the majority of our members are American, followed by Canadian. Despite this, we only have two American cities, and Seattle barely counts as it's a west coast city that isn't in California. We are talking about the greatest country in the world here, and Philadelphia happens to be a former U.S. capital from 1790 to 1800. For my fellow history friends, the south was upset that the capital was in New York up north, so it was agreed to move the capital to Washington D.C. somewhere closer to the middle. While the swamp in D.C. was being drained (@Trifecta drain the swamp right buddy?), Philadelphia was the temporary capital for 10 years, as it was a little closer to the south than New York.

3) Freedom

Philadelphia stands for everything that is great about civilization. We have an American symbol in the Liberty Bell, which was rung to mark the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Speaking of the most important document in world history, it was signed in Independence Hall in your favorite city, Philadelphia! Other important events that occurred in Philadelphia are the constitutional convention and their NFL football team being world champions last year :)

4) Great Potential Team Names

Off the top of my head, I have the following options for Philadelphia:

Liberty

Freedom

Cheesesteaks

Tastycakes

5) Gritty

You actually thought I would get through this article without mentioning the greatest mascot of all time? Every single VHL free agent would flock to a Philadelphia team, as everyone wants to play somewhere they know Gritty will be attending. Plus, on a personal level it would be really cool if me or @Fire Hakstol got to be a GM of our hometown city. 

ice hockey hello GIF by NHL

Edited by eaglesfan036

Davos, Switzerland

Riga, Latvia

Helsinki, Finland (seriously, how are you not 100% sure Helsinki is in Finland, it's the easiest one on the list, easier even than Cologne)

Stockholm and Vasteras, Sweden

Cologne, Germany

Bern, Switzerland

Bratislava, Slovakia

Oslo, Norway

Kolari, Finland (this is the only one I've had to look up)

Turku, Finland

And now, for something completely different:

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso

Khartoum, Sudan

Bloemfontein, South Africa (as well as the more known three cities: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria)

Asuncion, Paraguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

Belmopan, Belize

Andorra La Vella, Andorra

Valletta, Malta

Windhoek, Namibia

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

17 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

I miiiiiight be a bit of a geography nut. Helsinki, though, is easy

I even know that Burkina Faso used to be named Upper Volta. Do I get a bonus point? When my geography teacher told the class that about it's capital, I accused him of lying to us. For some reason, my grade wasn't as high as usual. 

Review: A nice article on why this historic American city should be the next expansion location, whether that's VHL or VHLM. I actually disagree with you though - I think the majority of members here are Canadian by a good margin. You could have also added a section of itself to the food (cheesesteaks, roast pork, Reading Terminal Market, Tastycakes, etc...). Of those names, I like Freedom and Liberty the most...probably Liberty.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Making the Case for a Philadelphia Expansion Team [1/2]
6 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Review: A nice article on why this historic American city should be the next expansion location, whether that's VHL or VHLM. I actually disagree with you though - I think the majority of members here are Canadian by a good margin. You could have also added a section of itself to the food (cheesesteaks, roast pork, Reading Terminal Market, Tastycakes, etc...). Of those names, I like Freedom and Liberty the most...probably Liberty.

Aren't we not trying to copy team names from other leagues?