Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 7)

Advantage

To :nya:

RW - Odin Tordahl (S33)

To :dav:

S38 NY 1st Round Draft Pick (Don Draper)

This one had some controversy to it because Tordahl was threatening to go to Free Agency anyway after I was looking at potentially trading for him.  Eventually Victor and I settled on a deal surrounding the S38 1st Round Pick which was part of a later deal with Helsinki.  Safe to say, value wise this actually ended up being a pretty decent trade.  Tordahl finished a Hall of Fame player and had by far his best years in his four year stretch with the Americans, winning a cupboard of awards fit for a king.  

Draper would go on to a strong but short career with 350 points, 486 hits and 607 blocked shots in just 360 games.  As a member, he would go on to some incredible things including being our league commish.  While this pick ended up being better than I expected, Tordahl was the key cog of my offense for both of our Continental Cup victories and was a tremendous leader in the locker room.

S40 Riga 2nd Round Pick (Christoph Klose)

To :col:

S33 - GIYGAS

I knew that at some point my rebuild would need some future draft picks and with some cap to clear, I decided to look a bit towards the future with this trade.  I made a move to shed GIYGAS cap and acquire a pick in a draft well in the future that I hoped would be a strong one.

GIYGAS went on to an excellent career with 529 points in 576 games and was an excellent teammate, but at this point in his career, he was a second line player for me and had a pretty shedable contract.  I figured as long as I could get a decent VHL player with the draft pick, that this would be a win for me…..and did I ever get a decent player!

I decided to keep the pick and drafted Christoph Klose who went on to start in my lineup and had a great career himself with 559 points and over 1800 hits in 504 games.  He and Jody 3 Moons helped create my young core in my later years GM’ing with the Americans, and were a big reason for all of our success.  I sadly had to move on from him when we entered our later rebuild as we was just entering the prime of his career and it made more sense to acquire futures.  Still a great trade all-around I would say.

S40 2nd Round Draft Pick (Ryan Cattrall)

To Calgary

S34 Simon Tremblay

The final trade we will talk about today was a part of the same off-season and was once again a cap saving move.  I decided to move on from long-time depth scorer, Simon Tremblay, and once again made a move to acquire a future second round pick.  While I wouldn’t keep that pick it ended up becoming Ryan Cattrall who had a short VHL career after retiring early, despite a sixty point rookie campaign.

Tremblay had a good career but was towards the end of his run and it made sense to move the second line depth out in him and GIYGAS, in order to fit my new stars in and pay the core pieces to my team.

• Admin

I very much didn't want New York to win any cups after the Tordahl trade, despite managing to swap that pick for a Jardy and getting us to 3 more finals. Not a good time.

But then Bentley basically replaced Tordahl (or replaced Low who replaced Tordahl) and it all worked out in the end. Except that playoff series against Quebec. Fuck Waldron. @Hybrid1486

16 hours ago, Victor said:

I very much didn't want New York to win any cups after the Tordahl trade, despite managing to swap that pick for a Jardy and getting us to 3 more finals. Not a good time.

But then Bentley basically replaced Tordahl (or replaced Low who replaced Tordahl) and it all worked out in the end. Except that playoff series against Quebec. Fuck Waldron. @Hybrid1486

He had his moments in the sun...never won a Cup, but still...