Do You Care About The Brands Tournament?

eaglesfan036

Do You Care About The Brands Tournament?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I made this because apparently the finals for the Brands tournament is going on, and I haven't cared or even bothered to check the entire time. The VHL off season should be exciting enough between trades and drafts, and I don't think we need any tournaments other then the world cup, which is at least mildly interesting. I honestly don't care a lick about brands, and will join whichever brand gives me the most tpe, and never once check a game.

I understand that we want to create opportunities for wanna be GMs, which is great because that means people actually want to GM now, and it's not like before when I had to beg someone to take over for me as Calgary GM. However, I don't think brands is the right place for it, as I don't believe the effort put into running it is worth the reward. So prove me right or wrong by voting in my poll, and letting

the VHL know whether you think brands are worth the effort or not.

@Members

Just now, Beaviss said:

So far the voting is 

Old members - Dont like

Not old but not new (myself) - Like it but only look at my own stats and the W or Loss
New members - Like it

Small sample size so far, but maybe you are onto something. If brands help retain new members then that alone could make the effort worth it. TBD if you are correct based on more votes.

Kind of the thing I'm talking about. I know the old farts love the VHL, but a contingent of new members just aren't happy getting the mileage out of just watching their players play in VHL/Continental Cups. We've seen this building too, more and more prominent new members have cared more about VHLM than VHL for seasons and I feel this is just compounding. 

I think part of it is new members have less control over the VHL, as a lot of older members still retain GM slots and put the focus of their players there. These side things allow newer members to take on roles whether it be GM or try to position themselves as a more prominent player for a team etc. For me I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that you just give some of the community what it wants with something like Brand. It should be scraped if the community doesn't want it, but if enough of the community wants it, and the high majority of the rest are fine with it existing/care a little but treat it as a side thing then I think that it deserves to stay. Especially if it remains a minority of people who outright don't like it/aren't engaging with it. 

What is the option for 'I don't want the tournament to go away because I recognize its importance but I haven't looked at a single game because I haven't looked at a single game in any of my leagues for a few weeks'?

I understand your real issue with the system is the entirely legitimate feeling that the money awarded via the contract system with brands inflates bank accounts but if your angle makes it seem like you're entirely against the tournament altogether then yeah you're gonna sound like an old fart. To me it's like making the same poll for the VHLM, you're not really gonna get much new information out of it.

• Admin

Wow, great narrative-building guys considering more than half of the people who voted for options 1 and 2 are first-gens.

Maybe give some genuine thought to what needs to change to make it more engaging instead of writing off criticism as "old men yelling at clouds".

36 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

What is the option for 'I don't want the tournament to go away because I recognize its importance but I haven't looked at a single game because I haven't looked at a single game in any of my leagues for a few weeks'?

I understand your real issue with the system is the entirely legitimate feeling that the money awarded via the contract system with brands inflates bank accounts but if your angle makes it seem like you're entirely against the tournament altogether then yeah you're gonna sound like an old fart. To me it's like making the same poll for the VHLM, you're not really gonna get much new information out of it.

Yeah, I know this is never going to matter to me, but I recognize that the brands and the tournament itself matter to a lot of other people. The contract money though is game breaking IMO and needs to be eliminated, not just significantly reduced. 

39 minutes ago, Victor said:

Wow, great narrative-building guys considering more than half of the people who voted for options 1 and 2 are first-gens.

Maybe give some genuine thought to what needs to change to make it more engaging instead of writing off criticism as "old men yelling at clouds"

I'd like to point out I said it was only a small sample size at that point :)