Calgary Wranglers press conference

diamond_ace

1 hour ago, Jubis said:

1592629652279.thumb.jpg.b8e4344b87bc623eced7e58402de95fa.jpg

1.  Another great week for the Calgary Wranglers. Posting a (7-2-1) record since our last press conference and (40-14-6) on the season. My question is this: with 12 games remaining, how many points will the Wranglers pick up out of the possible 24 pts ? 

2. With the playoffs creeping up, which potential opponent could give you the most trouble throughout a playoff run ?

3. Which Calgary Wrangler players have a legitimate chance to win a personal award? 

Mikko Lahtinen: Kevin Brooks(most goals)

Mikko Lahtinen: Dustin Funk(most improved)

RJ Jubis: Mike Szatkowski(most points)

Jacques Lafontaine: Greg Clegane  (lowest GAA)

Jacques Lafontaine: Aidan Shaw (most outstanding goalie)

Or Other

4. Everything is up in the air next season due to expansion. That being said, do you think the Calgary Wranglers can contend for a cup next season ?

5. Who would you like to see Calgary draft with their 1st pick in the upcoming S73 draft ? Remember it will be a late 1st

6. Would you like to see Calgary change up its logo ?

@Bushito @Jubis @Ricer13 @SlapshotDragon @Tagger @Beketov @Big Mac @Speed @dasboot @Matt_O @DMaximus @flyersfan1453

1. We will pick up 19/24 points.

2. I mean, Seattle no question. Whether you hate 'em or love 'em, you have to admit their good.

3. Jubis also has a really good chance of winning an award but I think Mikko has the best chance. Dude has been on fire this season.

4. Yes. Definitely. If Mikko and most of our core group stays, we should be good.

5. Wolf Stansson for sure.

6. Maybe a little update. Other than that though, I could live with a new one or live with the current one.

8 hours ago, Jubis said:

1.  Another great week for the Calgary Wranglers. Posting a (7-2-1) record since our last press conference and (40-14-6) on the season. My question is this: with 12 games remaining, how many points will the Wranglers pick up out of the possible 24 pts ? 

2. With the playoffs creeping up, which potential opponent could give you the most trouble throughout a playoff run ?

3. Which Calgary Wrangler players have a legitimate chance to win a personal award? 

Or Other

4. Everything is up in the air next season due to expansion. That being said, do you think the Calgary Wranglers can contend for a cup next season ?

5. Who would you like to see Calgary draft with their 1st pick in the upcoming S73 draft ? Remember it will be a late 1st

@Bushito @Jubis @Ricer13 @SlapshotDragon @Tagger @Beketov @Big Mac @Speed @dasboot @Matt_O @DMaximus @flyersfan1453

1. I think in our last twelve games we can go 9-3

2. It looks like we will play Toronto, but I think the Bears would definitely be our biggest challenge in getting to the finals.

3. Mikko Lahtinen for the Funk is basically a lock at this point.

4. We are a young team, we will probably lose a good player but we still have a ton of talent and will be able to contend for a few seasons.

5. Maybe a forward, since that is most likely the player we will be losing.

6. Yeah, but I don't really mind the logo that much. I know a lot of other people hate it though.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:47 AM, Jubis said:

Or Other

1. I think we give ourselves at most 4 points to lose out of the possible 24.

2. Seattle has been our biggest rival for the past couple of seasons simply because they keep up with us.

3. Give it to Jubi, mans been under appreciated in my opinion and he has been going crazy this season.

4. With such a big expansion it's tough to say, we can lose a lot of firepower in the expansion draft.

5. I think we need to pick up whatever we anticipate to be losing in the expansion draft.

6.  I understand the argument against the current logo, but honestly I don't have too much against it. I wouldn't be angry if we kept it.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, Jubis said:

Or Other

1. With the way we are rolling I think 18 points is a safe bet. 9 wins out of 12 games, can do it for sure.

2. Definitely Seattle. I assume we will see them in the conference finals and with their track record and us being neck and neck all season, that will be the true finals.

3. Yeah all of those definitely have a chance. Lahtinen is a shoe in for most improved. The rest comes down to if those players can maintain pace, will come down to the end of the season.

4. Looking at our roster and the 8 players we will be keeping, definitely think that we will again contend for a cup.

5. No idea, haven't even looked at the draft class. Guys like Rory, dlamb and dart seem like good guys.

6. Yeah think it would be cool to have a refresh on an old franchise. Not a fan of stuff that's been proposed but think it could be a nice change up. 

On 6/20/2020 at 3:47 AM, Jubis said:

1.  Another great week for the Calgary Wranglers. Posting a (7-2-1) record since our last press conference and (40-14-6) on the season. My question is this: with 12 games remaining, how many points will the Wranglers pick up out of the possible 24 pts ? Since I’m a bit late on this, I’ll replace it with who’s surprised me the most this season, and that would be Helsinki

2. With the playoffs creeping up, which potential opponent could give you the most trouble throughout a playoff run ? Seattle hands down

Or Other - Dustin Funk - Lahtinen (since LaFontaine won Clegane)

4. Everything is up in the air next season due to expansion. That being said, do you think the Calgary Wranglers can contend for a cup next season ? We’re losing some good veterans so I don’t know it’s up for grabs

5. Who would you like to see Calgary draft with their 1st pick in the upcoming S73 draft ? Remember it will be a late 1st - A LW since I believe I might be unprotected in this upcoming draft so I’d like for them to get a successor 

6. Would you like to see Calgary change up its logo ? - no not at all

Is it bad that I don't know the answer to this even with the games having been played?

Seattle seems like the obvious choice, but New York would also be an equally tough matchup.

I think Lafontaine will win all his awards, Lahtinen might make for an interesting most improved player option as well, but that might more likely be Dawson.

Depends on re-signings and salary cap situation (myself and Lafontaine are getting large wage hikes, plus Lahtinen if he resigns)

I think Dakota Lamb would be a good pick. He's been earning TPE at a very solid rate

I've never had a problem with the logo tbh, not sure why so many people take issues with it. 

1. Another week has passed. The Wranglers have been on an incredible run, going (11-3-2 ) since our last press conference. What is needed to continue winning at this rate ? 

Whatever has worked so far doesn't need to be changed.

2. Your season record has improved to (33-12-5). This pace would have the Wranglers finish with 48 wins.  Would this surpass your expectations ? 

It looked like things were going to go right this season, no shock at all.

3. Even tho you have been winning a lot of games, Seattle has stayed within a point from you. Tuesday Calgary and Seattle play each other twice. What are your score predictions for those two games? 

Games can sim strange and it would be hard to call out a winner or even guess at a score.

4. Calgary just pulled the trigger on a deadline deal to aid in  solidifying its playoff run. Specifics aside, how happy are you to have a legend , a potential HOFer, like Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen join the team ? 

Smitty is a hell of a player and LR favorite, great addition.

5. What are your thoughts on the newly announced expansion? 

Good for the league is what I hear.

6. What expansion team city and logo do you like the best ? 

I don't really have a favorite.

1593312843931.thumb.jpg.86bd4c42ca9940d469ca2e086cc1090e.jpg

1. Are you happy about winning the Victory cup ?

2. Are you surprised Toronto has tied up the series at 2 games to 2 ?

3. What is your score prediction for game 5 ? 

4. What do the Wranglers need to do to beat Toronto and move on to the 2nd round ? 

5. Are you currently growing a playoff beard ? 

6. What is your gameday routine during the playoffs ? 

7. What is your best pregame meal  ?

@Ricer13 @Bushito @Tagger @Speed

@Big Mac @Jubis @Beketov @DMaximus @flyersfan1453 @dasboot @Matt_O @SlapshotDragon

Delighted, I was able to pawn off the trophy for a snickers bar and a monthly subscription to Patriotic Quilts magazine

I am, but that's only cause I deliberately look to surprise myself at any opportunity to improve my alertness. When I order my food on apps, I set a random time closing my eyes and throw my phone away afterwards. Never a better reason to be woken up at 3 AM then by a delicious slice of PAPA JOHNS

19-0 with Edwin scoring points on 34 of them

4. What do the Wranglers need to do to beat Toronto and move on to the 2nd round ? 

Don't let them score a single goal and then get at least one goal a game ourselves

I already had a beard so I've just stopped showering instead

I put my dirty laundry on the ice as an intimidation technique

22 minutes ago, Jubis said:

@Big Mac @Jubis @Beketov @DMaximus @flyersfan1453 @dasboot @Matt_O @SlapshotDragon

1. Yes, but that's not the cup I'm aiming for.

2. No offense but yeah, I'm surprised. Was not expecting that to happen.

3. We'll win but it'll be a bit close, 4-2 maybe.

4. Get our stride back and not let the losses get to us.

5. Of course. Why not?

6. I dunno, I guess just juggle for ten minutes before each game.

7. Can't really decide. Food is food, y'know?

1. Are you happy about winning the Victory cup ?

1. Yes I am very happy. The team worked hard but the job isn’t done yet.

2. I am quite surprised. We had been warned they would be tough but I thought we were going to run away with it.

3. I think Calgary wins it 4-1

4. They need to play well defensively and have an all star performance from lafontaine.

5. No I am not haha

6. Go to work, come home from work, hang out with the kids, then play some hockey!

7. Barbecued chicken with asparagus

1 hour ago, Jubis said:

1. Yeah, but the victory cup means nothing unless you win it all.

2. I am a little surprised, especially after we won the first two games pretty handily.

3. 4-2 Calgary

4. Our defense in games three and four was atrocious. We need to be better on the back end to win the series.

5. Zod always has a playoff beard, and a sexy mustache to go along with it.

6. Wake up at 6, go for a morning run. Take a shower and a dump. And then after that it's all business, especially when it comes to mentally preparing for the game

We've been leading all season long, not even surprised.

Yeah that was not expected, but it is the ploffs, teams are going to be showing up every night trying to win.

Already happened :(

Just play our game, play our tempo that we have had winning us games all season.

You know it! Beards show commitment to the team and ploffs

Nothing changes from the usual, spark up right before playtime

On 6/29/2020 at 7:13 AM, Jubis said:

1. Couldn't be happier, what a great experience for my rookie season.

2. Was surprised, wasn't worried though and got it done. 

4. Need to keep playing strong against New York now, feel like we get past them and the Cup is ours.

5. Do leaves grow on trees?

6. Same as every day, big meal, nap, then get ready for game.

7. All about carb loading, pasta is the go to.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, Jubis said:

1. Are you happy about winning the Victory cup ? - who wouldn’t be

2. Are you surprised New York has tied up the series at 2 games to 2 ? Not necessarily especially after that Toronto series

3. What is your score prediction for game 5 ? 5-4 Calgary Wins

4. What do the Wranglers need to do to beat New York and move on to the 3rd round ? Less penalties

5. Are you currently growing a playoff beard ? - even the fans are growing beards

7. What is your best pregame meal  ? - pasta

PSX_20200705_094515.jpg.4f0e9c91ee6d328b5c620a693b571cf3.jpg

CALGARY WRANGLERS PRESS CONFERENCE

1. The Toronto Legion forced the first series to 7 games. Going into game 7 how confident were you that the Wranglers would come out victorious ?

2. Which Calgary Wrangler player has been your playoff MVP so far ? 

3. You just beat the Americans 3-1 on July 4th, in a game 5 showdown.  How important is winning game 5, in a 7 game series ? 

4. It is never good to look ahead but lets say you find a way to beat New York. You have Riga waiting for you in the finals. How well do think Calgary would match up vs Riga ?

5. Why has Home ice been so crucial for the S72 Calgary Wranglers ?   regular season ( 29-4-3) , current playoffs (4-1-0)

6. Do you do yoga as part of your daily training ?

7. When on the road in New York what hotel do you wish The Wranglers stayed at ?

members

@Big Mac @Speed @Bushito @Beketov

@Ricer13 @Jubis @Tagger @flyersfan1453

@DMaximus @Matt_O @dasboot @SlapshotDragon

50 minutes ago, Jubis said:

1. The Toronto Legion forced the first series to 7 games. Going into game 7 how confident were you that the Wranglers would come out victorious ?

3. You just beat the Americans 3-1 on July 4th, in a game 5 showdown.  How important is winning game 5, in a 7 game series ? 

4. It is never good to look ahead but lets say you find a way to beat New York. You have Riga waiting for you in the finals. How well do think Calgary would match up vs Riga ?

5. Why has Home ice been so crucial for the S72 Calgary Wranglers ?   regular season ( 29-4-3) , current playoffs (4-1-0)

7. When on the road in New York what hotel do you wish The Wranglers stayed at ?

members

1. I had full confidence we would close out the series against Toronto.

2. Dredge has been our MVP so far. He’s been the most consistent so far.

3. Extremely important because now the pressure is on them. I hope we can close it out in 6.

4. Calgary matches up extremely well against Riga. I think our toughest series is the one we are in now.

5. We play well in front of our fans. The energy they provide is unlike any other stadium in the league.

6. As a hockey player yoga is vital to your training regimen. Flexibility is key.

7. I have heard the Langham is pretty nice. Beats the motel 6 we are staying in now.

I knew we were going to win, we have the Bushito going away as GM legacy on our side!

It's close between Gunnar and Dredge, but I'll give it to Dredge since he's had a GWG.

It's very important and I like it because I like winning games.

It'll be interesting, Greg Eagles has had a very good playoffs but they've also had an easier run-in than say a team like New York, so hopefully if we were to get there we can provide him with a bit of a challenge.

Because I've literally built my house in front of the goal and only I have the key to the doors

I don't engage much in yoga but I do meditate. 

13 hours ago, Jubis said:

members

1. I was pretty confident, we are the better team and we are elite at home.

2. So many different players have been good for us, it's hard to pick one. I can guarantee it's not Zod though, he sucks with his zero points.

3. It's huge, game five is a big momentum swinging home so it's important that we pick up that win.

4. I think we can beat them. It is a little concerning with how well they have been playing though, they have been unstoppable it seems.

5. It's the red out calgary crowd, it throws off the opponents.

7. I live on Long Island so I can tell you that no matter what hotel you choose you will only be a short taxi ride away from anything cool that you want to see.

We came out victorious, had no doubts in my mind.

Gunnar is stepping up to the plate.

I think Riga v Calgary is going to be fast paced and full of offense. Better defense wins.

Calgary gets loud, when we step out on the ice the place is intimidating for the other team.

Nope, just the doobie.

I was hoping we would stay at the nicest hotel they had, but they stuck us in the motel. Assholes.

On 7/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, Jubis said:

1. I was confident as could be, we were the best team in the league all year.

2. Gunnar was our MVP all playoffs long.

3. Every game is important all playoffs, doesn't matter whether it's the 1st or 7th. 

4. I thought we were gonna match up well but clearly they were on another level come playoff time. Only 1 loss for them all playoffs is an unreal feat.

5. Yeah we obviously played better in front of our fans, was probably our downfall not being able to play on the road.

7. Trump Hotel!

1594621350529.thumb.jpg.e069ac1299376fbcf74eb2f46a666c14.jpg

Okay another season is in the books. We failed to lift the cup, we so badly wanted to win. I'm sorry we just fell short. It was a hell of a season but it was not in the cards for us, I guess. We will re-group and return next season hungrier than ever ! 

Go Wranglers !

1.  How emotional was the Game 5 loss to Riga in the finals  ? 

2.  We are forced to say goodbye to Smitty W. @flyersfan1453 and Tyler Barabash jr @Bushito. Do you have any kind words for them as they transition into retirement? 

3. The Calgary Wranglers are forced to navigate through a new reduced Salary Cap and an expansion draft at the same time.  This will force them to be most likely be parting ways with loyal and longtime players Sigard Gunnar @Big Mac and Charlie Paddywaggon @DMaximus

Do you have anything you wish to say to these two players who have been Wranglers the past 4-5 seasons ? 

4. Calgary made its first big off season move by acquiring ACL Tear's rights and then inking him to a 1 year deal. 

Are you excited with the acquisition ? 

5. As of right now, no expansion team has a roster. So go on your gut feeling for now. If you had to predict:  what new expansion team has the best chance of making the playoffs? 

6. The VHL draft  is only 2 sleeps away.  Calgary now has the 12th overall pick in the upcoming draft. Who would you like to see them select with this 12th pick ?

@Jubis @Ricer13 @Beketov @Speed @Quik @DMaximus @Big Mac @Matt_O @dasboot @Tagger @SlapshotDragon

Edited by Jubis

In the sense that I don't want Riga to win more cups, very emotional.

2.  We are forced to say goodbye to Smitty W. @flyersfan1453 and Tyler Barabash jr @Bushito. Do you have any kind words for them as they transition into retirement?

Smitty fulfilled his goal of being number one. Hopefully Bush is taking whatever time he needs.

3. The Calgary Wranglers are forced to navigate through a new reduced Salary Cap and an expansion draft at the same time.  This will force them to be most likely be parting ways with loyal and longtime players Sigard Gunnar @Big Mac and Charlie Paddywaggon @DMaximus

Do you have anything you wish to say to these two players who have been Wranglers the past 4-5 seasons ? 

Whoppers > Big Macs.

4. Calgary made its first big off season move by acquiring ACL Tear's rights and then inking him to a 1 year deal. 

Big brain move paying for an expansion team to leave the rest of the Wranglers alone.

5. As of right now, no expansion team has a roster. So go on your gut feeling for now. If you had to predict:  what new expansion team has the best chance of making the playoffs? 

Los Angeles because I prefer their expansion slots of 4/5 to everyone else.

6. The VHL draft  is only 2 sleeps away.  Calgary now has the 12th overall pick in the upcoming draft. Who would you like to see them select with this 12th pick ?

1 sleep you liar. Idk, who is ranked 12th and isn't a goalie? Does Calgary need a goalie? I should probably look at the roster I just signed with.

6 hours ago, Jubis said:

1594621350529.thumb.jpg.e069ac1299376fbcf74eb2f46a666c14.jpg

Okay another season is in the books. We failed to lift the cup, we so badly wanted to win. I'm sorry we just fell short. It was a hell of a season but it was not in the cards for us, I guess. We will re-group and return next season hungrier than ever ! 

Go Wranglers !

@Jubis @Ricer13 @Beketov @Speed @Quik @DMaximus @Big Mac @Matt_O @dasboot @Tagger @SlapshotDragon

1. I wasn’t overly emotional. Just disappointed I couldn’t get it done again.

2. It was a pleasure to play with both of you. Goodluck in the future.

3. To Gunnar it was always a joy jostling for roster position with you even though you crushed it no matter where you were and too Paddywagon I am going to miss that consistent force we had on the backend for so many years. Goodluck to both of you.

4.Not sure if I am excited but am intrigued so see if he fits well with the team.

5.Warsaw is my guess.

6.Patrik Laine

Like Rice, more disappointed than anything. We had an awesome regular season, but being out-shot despite the other team having 11 more penalties just shows we weren't good enough when we needed to be. 

2.  We are forced to say goodbye to Smitty W.  and Tyler Barabash jr  Do you have any kind words for them as they transition into retirement? 

Congrats to Smitty on a great career and hopefully Bushito is doing OK outside of the league.

3. The Calgary Wranglers are forced to navigate through a new reduced Salary Cap and an expansion draft at the same time.  This will force them to be most likely be parting ways with loyal and longtime players Sigard Gunnar  and Charlie Paddywaggon 

Thanks for their help in these seasons gone, shame we couldn't win a cup but you were both very good teammates. 

Provided he doesn't get me injured as well, I will be more than happy to welcome him!

Unless there are trades, definitely an EU team given that the goalie situation over there looks very suspect (Six of the NA teams have a goalie over 500 TPA, EU only have two (maybe less depending on Bernard). I'll go Warsaw just cause I can see .Muffins going "yolo" more than McWolf.

Dakota Lamb would be great, but there's been a lot of forwards getting 12 capped TPE moving up the rankings and I think any of those would be a great addition.