Saskatoon Wild press conference

Peace

1. Looking back at our last season, what would you have done differently, if you would have done anything different at all?

2. What do you expect from the Saskatoon Wild this season?

3. Are you worried you may be traded away during the season? 

4. The Saskatoon Alumni list is pretty impressive, what player do you look up too the most on that list? 

5. What type of player do you want to be in the VHL? 

6. How would you rate our roster, from a zero to one hundred scale. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh. Here it is. Let's see...

1. Looking back at our last season, what would you have done differently, if you would have done anything different at all?

I would've joined sooner so I could've been part of it.

2. What do you expect from the Saskatoon Wild this season?

I started with high hopes. I know I've said this already, but our offense started on fire and I'm ... me. I think we could've done much better than what most expected. But after trading away our point producers it looks like this particular season is scrubbed. I'm still going to be stealing games, though.

3. Are you worried you may be traded away during the season? 

Afraid? No. Peace has already checked with me how I'd feel about being trading while working on a deal that fell through. If I'm going to get traded, my input is going to be part of it.

4. The Saskatoon Alumni list is pretty impressive, what player do you look up too the most on that list? 

Brick Wahl. No question.

5. What type of player do you want to be in the VHL? 

The one who wins cups.

6. How would you rate our roster, from a zero to one hundred scale.

Currently? Hmm... 20? 30? Somewhere in there. We're pretty... empty.

Hey Sask, I have some questions for you!

What was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now?

What game have you spent the most hours playing?

What’s the worst backhanded compliment you could give another player?

Where do you get your VHL news?

What’s the best lesson you’ve learned from a work of fiction?

What are qualities that make a player successful in the VHL(M)?

Razor Scooters, though I don't know if they were ever cool looking back on it

World of Warcraft by a mile

Great job keeping their score to the single digits (in a blowout)

Discord usually

Don't panic! (Hitchhiker's Guide)

Doing their job, no more and no less

Pokemon cards. I know its still popular in other countries but in the US, its long gone.

Dota 2 by far. Greatest game ever made.

I know we have been struggling lately but nice job holding them to 2 goals in a loss.

Mostly the site

To be the man, you have to beat the man. (Wrestling)

Roleplayer, great teammate.

Pokemon. No wait... that's still a thing. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Michael Bay ruined that. I think. They're not popular right?

That... is a very good question. I'm going to go with Dungeon and Dragons.

I don't really do backhanded compliments. I'm pretty earnest. ... I can't even think of a joke one.

The Saskatoon locker room mostly.

"But... but this is my soul. Isn't it?"
"Of course it is, silly. You're just looking at it wrong."

Persistence

• 2 weeks later...

What was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now?

I mean, Pokemon maybe? I’m still young now though so yeh... but hey, do people still play Pokemon?

Im a sucker for Madden. I suck, but I love it. I guess it stems from my roots growing up, my papa always had the games on. I’m a football junkie.

Oh come on now, you should know: locker room banter stays in the locker room!

VHL news dot com. The number one source!

I honestly haven’t done much reading, not in english anyway. But I did once read The Twits. Can’t beat a classic old story!

Integrity. Belief, and honestly I’d put teamwork up there too. If you can’t play in a team then your not going anywhere fast.

Edited by Kirby

I have to say MySpace, My space was the place where everything happened, but now its Facebook, Twitter, etc

NBA 2K, I always loved basketball and basketball games

Good job getting 5 saves! (when losing by 4)

sportssimnetwork.com and VHLNews.com

GET THE BREAD

Leadership and being a great teammate

Pokemon

I am guessing NBA2K, PUBG, Red Dead Redemption.

I don't do that kind of stuff

VHLnews.com

No clue

A GOOD TEAMMATE

• 3 weeks later...

1. Another season is on the horizon, what are your expectations for the Saskatoon Wild?

2. Saskatoon has been fairly aggressive in the free agent market, signing six new additions to the team. What are your thoughts about your new teammates? 

3. Saskatoon made some late round steals in the recent draft, but overall how do you think the Wild performed at the draft? 

4. The captains have been announced internally, without revealing who they are what do you think about those who were named to the position? 

5. If you were the GM, what would you differently right now? 

6. Saskatoon has been attempting to acquire a goalie but keeps running into road blocks. How frustrating is this as a player for the team? 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, Peace said:

1. Another season is on the horizon, what are your expectations for the Saskatoon Wild?

2. Saskatoon has been fairly aggressive in the free agent market, signing six new additions to the team. What are your thoughts about your new teammates? 

3. Saskatoon made some late round steals in the recent draft, but overall how do you think the Wild performed at the draft? 

4. The captains have been announced internally, without revealing who they are what do you think about those who were named to the position? 

6. Saskatoon has been attempting to acquire a goalie but keeps running into road blocks. How frustrating is this as a player for the team? 

1. I think the Wild should fight for a playoff spot at the very least. Anything less would be disappointing especially in my last year in the VHLM. I was drafted by Saskatoon so I want to succeed in Saskatoon rather than just get traded at the deadline.

2. It's still early but I haven't seen much from the new signings except Passereli. Like I said though, It is still early. Hopefully they start coming around.

3. I think with the players being picked up like myself and Raph were good picks in Round 3. Nethila Dissanayake was a good pick up in Round 4. The rest are picks that may or may not pan out. Either way to pick up 3 pretty nice players with no 1st or 2nd round picks was very nice indeed.

4. The captains are the best players on the team which is why they were given so much responsibility. I know they all like to lead by example and they should hopefully push these younger players into becoming one of the tops in the league.

5. There is really not much I would be doing differently right now. GM Peace is working the phones everyday trying to better then team as well as trying to sign FA's that will make a difference. there is not one thing this man does that won't better the team.

6. It is very frustrating as a goalie in the VHLM is way more important that one in the VHL. You can win in the VHL with a no so great goalie or a young rookie goalie but in the VHLM you cannot win without goaltending.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:38 PM, Peace said:

1. As a rookie to the league (and site in general) I have a limited knowledge of previous seasons, and how the future will look. From what I've seen, it looks like the Wild have just finished a rebuilding year, so hopefully we'll be able to bounce back with a strong performance. 

2. As a new addition myself, I am excited to show what I can do and prove myself a worthy addition to this team, and the league in general. 

3. It's a little early for me to tell, as I have yet to see in person how these players perform, but I am optimistic about the group we have. 

4. I'm still getting acquainted with everyone, but I think that they will offer me the leadership and guidance I will need to get my feet wet in this league. 

5. For the short time I have known him, the GM seems to be doing a good job of assembling a competitive team, no complaints here. 

6. As a defenseman, having a decent goalie is huge in how well we perform, and it's nice to be able to rely on solid goaltending when I make a mistake. Hopefully we will be able to find a solution, but we will have to step it up if not. 

New questions! 

1. How would you describe the locker room atmosphere after Saskatoon’s rough start, then compared to the atmosphere now after the Wild’s win streak? 

2. Saskatoon currently sits third overall in the standings, are you satisfied with that position after a terrible start?

3. The top lines have been extremely productive, in fact Saskatoon’s offense is ranked first in the VHLM, so who would you say is the greatest offensive weapon for Saskatoon? 

4. Defensively, however, the team is struggling. How would you change - if you could - defensive strategies to reduce Juandice’s workload? 

5. For a team that didn’t draft in the first or second rounds, is Saskatoon’s position in the standings surprising? 

6. What do you think of your managements effort in developing you as a prospect and an individual? 

1. How would you describe the locker room atmosphere after Saskatoon’s rough start, then compared to the atmosphere now after the Wild’s win streak? 

2. Saskatoon currently sits third overall in the standings, are you satisfied with that position after a terrible start?

3. The top lines have been extremely productive, in fact Saskatoon’s offense is ranked first in the VHLM, so who would you say is the greatest offensive weapon for Saskatoon? 

4. Defensively, however, the team is struggling. How would you change - if you could - defensive strategies to reduce Juandice’s workload? 

5. For a team that didn’t draft in the first or second rounds, is Saskatoon’s position in the standings surprising? 

6. What do you think of your managements effort in developing you as a prospect and an individual? 

1 I mean it's pretty much the same
2 Very happy with that
3 The Whole top line is
4 Trade for some players or sign players n free agency
5 Yep very surprising 
6 It's awesome!!

On 3/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, Peace said:

New questions! 

1. The LR has become really steady. We try not to get to high after wins and not too low after losses. It's a tough to keep emotions in check but we do our best.

2. Well this question didn't age as well since we are now in 6th I think, 7 points out of a playoff spot. We started out good had a nice stretch now we are struggling again.

3. I think we as a unit are great together no player you can say stands out by themselves because we score as a great unit as a team.

The team is eager to win and we're willing to whatever we can to interrupt our recent skid.

I don't think anyone in the locker room is satisfied, which is why you can expect a big turnaround soon.

The strength of that top line is its balance, but you can tell Jagr is a difference maker out there.

We've got to be more active getting in the passing lanes and getting turnovers in the neutral zone. The more possession we can play with, the better.

I think we're focusing on each game as an individual unit at this point. The standings will be what they are.

Management has done a great job getting me all the resources I need to improve as a player.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, Peace said:

New questions! 

1. We were definitely riding a pretty good high from that win streak, but we're sort scrambling now to reverse the rough course we've taken recently.

2. Well that.was over quickly. On the bright side, we can easily get back to a competitive position in the standings as it is still early in the season. 

3. Our whole top line is absolutely deadly, and they do a great job of keeping us competitive when our defense is lackluster.

4. While I'm still new to league and not entirely aware of all of the defensive strategies available to the GM, I would say we will need some of our forwards to maybe collapse down more in our own zone to help the defense and Juan reduce scoring chances.

5. Saskatoon grabbed some real gems in the draft, but those that know these players should not be surprised at their skill.

6. They've been great. I could not ask for better.

It's been a bit cyclical with a downward trend, hasn't it? Bad stretch, good stretch, bad stretch... But the second bad stretch won't end. The locker room is subdued, to say the least.

I was satisfied with it, but then we fell like a boulder in a lake. We need to get it back, and fast.

I have to go with Jagr, purely because he has the most points of our top line, but that entire top line is a sight to behold. I hope to get to that productivity level shortly enough.

4. Defensively, however, the team is struggling. How would you change - if you could - defensive strategies to reduce Jaundice’s workload?
Simplest solution would be to improve our defensemen, either by trading for better ones or whipping ours into shape. If nothing else, the forwards need to start working on getting back into our zone and doing a bit of defending ourselves. Juan can only do much when he's got shots hitting him left and right.

Back when we were up in promising playoffs positions, maybe. Now that we've fallen back down, I think we're doing about as bad as expected, to be honest. Only way out is up, so we need to get to it.

6. What do you think of your management's effort in developing you as a prospect and an individual? 
As a prospect, my stat line is only above average, I'd say. That's not management's fault, though, unless better partners on my line can make me do better. As an individual, I feel like I'm making a ton of progress; maybe I can start being the second-line leader that the team needs soon. I'll need to try, for sure.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, Peace said:

New questions! 

1. I believe it's a bit mixed up right now. We're excited to be scoring, and honestly we've lost some games we really should have had. I think if we get a shake up we will see a lot better quality in mood.

2. Salvaging and clawing your way up from the gutters is a lesson in mental toughness, and it shows in spades with how hard we scrap. Am I satisfied? No. Not at all. There's so much more work to be done.

3. The chemistry between the lines is the greatest weapon. They seem to be firing on all cylinders and you can see it in their eyes. They know they're on fire and it'll keep raging, I think.

4. I'm not one to complain so uh...next question.

5. I don't think it's all that surprising. The talent is there, we just need a few more pieces to really take it further.

6. I'm happy with the direction  management has taken with me. They're not breathing down my neck, but are adamant I stick to my training to improve. They have high hopes for my potential, so I feel spurred to continue.

As a brand-new signee, I'm pleased with the level of communication in our locker room but am not sure I can make a fair judgment on that right now.

We've had a pretty rough week insofar as I can tell - it seems like there is still plenty of work to do; that starts with players understanding their level of motivation and, by extent, how far they see their career going. I'm hoping I can help set the pace just as much as the leaders with the most ice time.

Based strictly on numbers, Shawnomir or Nethila would have to be our greatest offensive weapons - but cohesion within a line is much more important than a small or moderate difference in skill.

Hopefully I can help establish a strong example for defensemen to improve themselves. Ultimately it comes down to me and those in my position to reduce the workload.

I guess not - but we should spend more time improving and less time worrying about excuses for placement in the standings.

I only made my return a couple of days ago, so I don't have any complaints. I've had all of my questions answered by more experienced individuals thus far - it's really up to me to make sure I'm asking the right ones.

How would you describe the locker room atmosphere after Saskatoon’s rough start, then compared to the atmosphere now after the Wild’s win streak? 

Being new here, I believe the locker room to be decent as of currently. I really do not have a ton of opinions on my teammates yet. Just hope they are as helpful as my former teammates.

From going from one of the worst teams to one of the better teams, I see that as a huge improvement and that should help with my morale as I am soon to play for team Europe.

3. The top lines have been extremely productive, in fact Saskatoon’s offense is ranked first in the VHLM, so who would you say is the greatest offensive weapon for Saskatoon? 

Have to go with my boy Shawnomir Jagr. Dude constantly nets multiple goal games with a high point total. He is also a threat to any team we play.

I would play D’Win Championships more as he is a known great defender who stands a little bit of offensive ability. Back in Philadelphia, Championships and Parkey had the two best +/- on the team.

Not really because the team felt complete as the GM saw fit.

Considering the low interactions so far, they aren’t helping a ton yet. I could see them giving us more tpe opportunities or even giving D’Win more mi utes.

1. The Saskatoon Wild just made a blockbuster trade, but what do you think of the value spent vs the value received? (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for Strong, Gruber, Parkey and Champ)? 

2. Since that trade the Wild have won four straight games, although some have needed overtime or were tight in regulation - do you think the Wild are a playoff team now, or do you think they'll sputter out just shy of a guaranteed playoff position? 

3. We just signed Apollo Hackett and Ty Steel, what do you think of those signings? 

4. How many points do you think the Wild will earn before loosing in regulation? Note: This doesn't include overtime losses, as those are still worth a point! 

5. Who won the SSK/PHI trade? 

6. GM Peace gives loyalty points to Saskatoon players in the draft, so look beyond the VHLM season towards the dispersal draft... would you like to return to Saskatoon by being drafted back to the club? 

3 minutes ago, Peace said:

1. The Saskatoon Wild just made a blockbuster trade, but what do you think of the value spent vs the value received? (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for Strong, Gruber, Parkey and Champ)? 

2. Since that trade the Wild have won four straight games, although some have needed overtime or were tight in regulation - do you think the Wild are a playoff team now, or do you think they'll sputter out just shy of a guaranteed playoff position? 

3. We just signed Apollo Hackett and Ty Steel, what do you think of those signings? 

4. How many points do you think the Wild will earn before loosing in regulation? Note: This doesn't include overtime losses, as those are still worth a point! 

6. GM Peace gives loyalty points to Saskatoon players in the draft, so look beyond the VHLM season towards the dispersal draft... would you like to return to Saskatoon by being drafted back to the club? 

I would love to come back to Saskatoon next season if possible, but I would want Peace to do what is best for the team, so no hard feelings if it does not happen. 

@Peace you're a terrific gm!

1 hour ago, Peace said:

1. Since the trade, we've seen nothing but good fortune. My workload has decreased significantly and I'm performing at a consistent level throughout. The team is firing on all cylinders, and I think that trade is the turning point for our season.

2. I believe we'll make the playoffs. I don't forsee those wins being a flash in the pan. We shored up our biggest hole and our competing at the level we knew we could play at.

3. I love them, frankly.

4. Give it two or three more solid wins. We have to come back down to earth eventually, but I forsee many more W's than L's.

5. Biased, but us. Hands down.

6. If they'd have me, I'd gladly keep playing my role.

As a current member of the Wild - I'm a big fan. I think we'll be competitive for a top-three spot in the league with the possibility of going deep in the playoffs, and the recent wins have reflect positively on that.

The middle of the table is very tightly packed. I think we're a playoff team, worthy of a seed somewhere in the middle (3rd through 6th seed); the early season hurt a little bit so we may not catch up to the 21st or Lynx, but we'll give them a run for their money.

My player aside, I like the Ty Steel signing. Any chance to add depth and remove a default player is a positive signing for me!

Not sure. We have a good shot at winning another couple of games without a loss, but hockey is a fickle game; there's a good reason playoffs are played ins eries.

For this season? Us, certainly. I think a number of the traded players will stay on with us and make the Wild formidable next season, but it's hard to point out the possible effect of the loss of draft picks without knowing how the traded players will pan out.

If Saskatoon will have me, I'd be more than happy to come back.