Saskatoon Wild press conference

Peace

On 6/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, Doomsday said:

1. The season is winding down, the playoffs will be here before we know it. What's something that Saskatoon will need to do in order to excel in the post-season?

Find our groove. We know we're a good team, but I think we lost a couple games that we should have won. All in due time, everyone's gonna know once the playoffs hit.

2. The scheduling lately has had the Wild play fewer games over some long stretches. How are you guys handling all this extra down time?

Working on my game. Need to be better for the team.

3. The VHL and VHLM have both seen expansion teams joining lately. If the VHLM were to get more teams down the road, what locations make the most sense to get franchises?

More Canada. Any Canadian city would support a team like crazy.

4. What's a TV show you really like that doesn't get enough credit for it's quality?

Not sure it doesn't get enough credit, but I have found Legends of Tomorrow to be great. Entertaining, funny, but able to get it's point across. Great ensamble show that more people should be into if you are into the Arrowverse.

5. Is there a specific brand of gear that you use? Any particular reason for it?

For the longest time, CCM. the Datsyuk pattern on the twigs was my go to for years.

6. Outside of hockey, what's your favorite Olympic event?

Probably curling. Don't really watch much else of the Olympics, just check medal counts. Curling though is entertaining once you understand whats going on.

1. The season is winding down, the playoffs will be here before we know it. What's something that Saskatoon will need to do in order to excel in the post-season?

I think just raising our games against more elite opponents.  Getting great team performances from great goaltending to strong offensive showings.  If we play a well-rounded game, we can beat anyone come playoff time.

2. The scheduling lately has had the Wild play fewer games over some long stretches. How are you guys handling all this extra down time?

Was pretty boring honestly but just staying in shape and being the best player I can be.

3. The VHL and VHLM have both seen expansion teams joining lately. If the VHLM were to get more teams down the road, what locations make the most sense to get franchises?

I would like to see one in Canada.  Somewhere like Winnipeg would be a nice location.  For the other one I'd lean to somewhere like Colorado.

4. What's a TV show you really like that doesn't get enough credit for it's quality?

Really enjoyed Hannibal but as for something I am currently watching, I do enjoy Scandal a fair bit.

5. Is there a specific brand of gear that you use? Any particular reason for it?

I'm a Bauer guy but no particular reason.  Just have always used it.

6. Outside of hockey, what's your favorite Olympic event?

Probably Halfpipe for snowboarding.

1. The playoffs are in full swing, with the Wild currently leading 3-1 over the Ottawa Lynx. The momentum Saskatoon had to close the season is still going strong, but what can they do to keep it that way?

2. The talk of the playoffs so far, without doubt, is the Miami Marauders not only making the playoffs in their first season, but with a 3-1 series lead, are on the verge of upsetting the #1 seeded Minnesota Storm. What's your take on how that's happening?

3. Which member of the Wild do you feel is going to make the biggest impact in the playoffs?

4. What color scheme do think needs to be adapted to a current or new VHLM team?

5. What's the most evil animal you can think of?

6. What's a hidden talent you have that others might not know about you?

4 hours ago, Doomsday said:

1. The playoffs are in full swing, with the Wild currently leading 3-1 over the Ottawa Lynx. The momentum Saskatoon had to close the season is still going strong, but what can they do to keep it that way?

2. The talk of the playoffs so far, without doubt, is the Miami Marauders not only making the playoffs in their first season, but with a 3-1 series lead, are on the verge of upsetting the #1 seeded Minnesota Storm. What's your take on how that's happening?

3. Which member of the Wild do you feel is going to make the biggest impact in the playoffs?

4. What color scheme do think needs to be adapted to a current or new VHLM team?

1. Stick to the game plan and take it one game at a time.

2. They’re doing us a huge favour knocking them off. Similar to Columbus knocking Tampa out in the NHL.

3. My moneys on Frence and his goal scoring right now

4. Orange, Black, and White? I don’t know

5. Honey Badger, it doesn’t give a S$#@

6.  Not really a hidden talent but I’ve drastically improved my golf game the last few years irl

Edited by SirRupertBarnes

13 hours ago, Doomsday said:

1. Well, we've won the series now. With the depth we have that's a huge benefit to the momentum. Strength up and down the lineup.

2. It's crazy! But anything can happen in the M. They've clearly put together a great team and hit some chemistry at the right time.

3. Komarov has been an absolute beast so far. I like him to keep that pace.

4. I'd like to see black and green. 

5. A Viper or another kind of predatory snake would a cool option. Which would also go with black and green ;)

6. I slappa da bass quite well!

Just do what we are doing well and that is a play a strong team game and play to our strengths.  We can beat teams any way we want and just need to not be our own worst enemy.

I think they saw a no-lose situation and stepped up to the occasion while Minnesota took them lightly.  That being said, Minnesota seems to have woken up and with the series going to Game 7, I see Miami's end coming soon.

I hate to toot my own horn but I think Walker will make a huge impact.  I see our goaltending being the most important position for us.  If we get great goaltending, we can win it all.

Not really sure but the league needs more purple.

This past week...the Lynx.

I have recently started to finally show off my physicality which I don't think people realize.  I'm actually more physical than people expect..I just choose to use it sparingly to not get caught out of position.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:42 AM, Doomsday said:

We need to get our foot on the gas pedal and keep winning. 

I think Minnesota is a good team. They'll find a way to get back in it.

Our goalie, Gyrfalcon. Goaltenders are very important in the playoffs.

I like green, like the Prince Albert Raiders scheme. More of that maybe.

Snakes.

I'm good at lying. Not a talent I'm necessarily proud of though 

1. After defeating Ottawa 4-1 in the first round, the Saskatoon Wild are on their way to the Founder's Cup Finals after a thrilling overtime victory against the Philadelphia Reapers in Game Seven. What's it going to take to beat Mexico City and lift the Cup?

2. What was it like on the bench when Kazimir Komarov scored the series-clinching goal in overtime?

3. Over in the VHL, the Calgary Wranglers won a Game Seven of their own to advance to the Continental Cup Finals against the Riga Reign. Who do you see winning that series?

4. Who do you feel has been the key piece for Saskatoon during the playoffs?

5. Have any superstitions or themes developed amongst the players during this playoff run?

6. How has the team been staying focused during this playoff run?

13 hours ago, Doomsday said:

1. After defeating Ottawa 4-1 in the first round, the Saskatoon Wild are on their way to the Founder's Cup Finals after a thrilling overtime victory against the Philadelphia Reapers in Game Seven. What's it going to take to beat Mexico City and lift the Cup?

2. What was it like on the bench when Kazimir Komarov scored the series-clinching goal in overtime?

3. Over in the VHL, the Calgary Wranglers won a Game Seven of their own to advance to the Continental Cup Finals against the Riga Reign. Who do you see winning that series?

5. Have any superstitions or themes developed amongst the players during this playoff run?

1. Just play our game and keep them to the outside.

2. Absolutely unreal. The boys were amped and rightfully so. OT game winner in a Game 7 is an amazing feeling for everyone on the winning side

3. I’m not too focused on the majors right now just focusing on my game and staying in the zone throughout this final stretch. If I had to choose I guess Calgary because they’re a Canadian team?

4. Komarov’s been a stud but everyone’s been producing when we’ve needed them to.

5. Not really that I’ve noticed. Just don’t step on the logo in the LR

6. Practice and watching footage. Just keeping our heads in it and going one game at a time. Making sure we don’t get ahead of ourselves.

14 hours ago, Doomsday said:

We have the better offense, so we're going to have to outscore them. A close game favors their team.

I'm not entirely sure, but I imagine the bois were going insane. I got the assist and was too busy celebrating with Komarov to notice.

Riga. They have only played 8 games to get to the finals, and the momentum for their team is high.

Komarov for sure. My man is putting the team on his back like he's Greg Jennings.

Yeah Lucas Brandt has this new superstition where he doesn't score any points.  Jokes aside I don't think we have any superstitions.

We have been focusing by constantly reminding ourselves that Brown doesn't get a dat boi if we lose. ?

20 hours ago, Doomsday said:

Consistency and the will to win

I jumped on the ice instantly to hug my boy @Gooningitup Komi, i was so excited that we won and that it was him who scored

it will be tough but I think Calgary will inch it out in game 6

Komarov and myself. we both want to win this for the entire team

I havent shaved, i also havent used a different stick. same stick all playoffs so far.

a lot of joking around and movie marathons before going over HOURS of game film. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:11 PM, Doomsday said:

1. Every line firing on all cylinders. This will need to be a serious depth win.

2. It's hard try put these things into words. It was unreal. Just when you think you're prepared for things like this, you so easily feel like a kid again.

3. Tough call. You know I would love to see Canada take that championship home. But, Riga is no joke! I see them taking it.

4. Komo is a beast. He's running away with that mvp. But honestly everyone is stepping up. I couldn't ask for more dedicated teammates.

5. One I always run with while winning I don't wash my under gear. So I'm sure you can guess how everything is smelling at point.

6. Staying loose and having a laugh with each other. But also long hours on the ice and in the film room. We hold each other accountable for how prepared we are.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:11 PM, Doomsday said:

The top line to find chemistry. Its kinda been a small group that got us here. If Brandt and Brown pop off too we will be set. 

I was very happy with myself of course

Riga they just totally dominated to this point.

To avoid pumping my own tired Gryf has been a stud for us. Backbone when we let teams in our zone he shuts the door a few times.

Russian machine never breaks or loses focus so well. 

Not too much apparently. Just play the game.

I wasn't there but those moments are always special.

I'm guessing Calgary.

Good strategy, great lines, everything going in the right direction.

It was all rainbows and lollipops until the end.  

Not hard to stay focused  when the team has proven to perform under pressure. 

1. The expansion draft happened tonight, and the new teams finally have at least one new face on their roster. Which expansion team had the best draft, in your opinion?

2. Who do you think will be the VHLM's strongest contender next season?

3. Do you think Saskatoon has a chance to be the first to repeat in approximately 20 seasons?

4. For those of you entering the draft, where do you think you will be drafted?

5. Which Sasky Alumni do you think will have the best rookie season in the VHL; Brandt, Brown, Walker or Gyrfalcon?

6. What are your thoughts on the Halifax 21st's arsenal of draft picks in S74? (They have three 1st rounders, three 2nd rounders, and eight 3rd rounders)

1 hour ago, a_Ferk said:

1. The expansion draft happened tonight, and the new teams finally have at least one new face on their roster. Which expansion team had the best draft, in your opinion?

3. Do you think Saskatoon has a chance to be the first to repeat in approximately 20 seasons?

5. Which Sasky Alumni do you think will have the best rookie season in the VHL; Brandt, Brown, Walker or Gyrfalcon?

6. What are your thoughts on the Halifax 21st's arsenal of draft picks in S74? (They have three 1st rounders, three 2nd rounders, and eight 3rd rounders)

1. I could be biased but I felt London did quite well overall.

2. I’m gonna go with Miami. They shocked everyone this season being a lot better than anticipated. I feel they’ll continue that success with some of that core as well as drafting.

3. It’ll be tough. There’s a few key pieces leaving the squad, not sure if you can really replace players like that.

4. I feel like I’ll be a first rounder but I have no clue

5. I’m going with Brandt. He’s a stud but all of the guys are gonna do great.

6. Hopefully they do something with that and draft well enough to compete again.

17 hours ago, a_Ferk said:

Hard to really say the draft will change their teams more than the expansion. 

Minny just went all in so they have to be the favourites.

No, even with Conway hes just 1 piece. Going to need some sim magic to beat Miami or Minny

Unsure VHLM draft is all over the place and with lack of updates these past few days its unclear.

If Krestanovich graduates, then its him 0 debate he will have big time ice time on a rebuilding squad. If not him Brandt has the potential.

Why we worrying about next season this is season 73 not 74 worry about that when that bridge crosses. 

21 hours ago, a_Ferk said:

1. London absolutely killed it. I can see them sneaking into the playoffs based off the expansion draft alone.

2.i think we definitely still have a good chance of the repeat. We have have top replacements.

3. I might be biased but I absolutely think we probably have the best chance in a long long time.

4. I will be in the draft. I'm thinking I'll be in the back side of the first round. That's what I'm working for anyways.

5. I think gryfalcon is going to be a vhl beast. Some team is going be very lucky to have him.

6. They have a lot to look forward to next year. After the upcoming season mind you. Because that's Saskatoon's next goal.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:12 AM, a_Ferk said:

1. I think London made out the best, they did a really good job and look to contend sooner rather than later.

2. I think Miami or Minnesota, but am hoping Saskatoon can remain as strong favourites.

3. I don't think it is likely but I'd love to see it, hopefully I have improved enough to help us get there.

4. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be drafted around 20-26, that seems most likely to me. 

5. I have to go with Brandt, he looks like he's gonna be insane in his rookie season, I'm excited to see all the rookies play though.

6. They are gonna be poised to do well in that season, but as for this one, they don't look to have the greatest of chances.

1. The off-season is finally over and the regular season is underway. What are your goals for this season?

2. Who do you believe will be the most integral part of our team?

3. We are currently undefeated after beating both Vegas and Yukon. Do you think we can keep up this pace, or is it simply the result of easy match-ups?

4. How did you pass the time during the off-season? Living in Saskatchewan can be pretty boring at times.

5. I was watching the Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup run the other day, and it made me remember how much I miss hockey. What is your favorite hockey memory?

6. Age-old question. Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?

21 hours ago, a_Ferk said:

1. The off-season is finally over and the regular season is underway. What are your goals for this season?

3. We are currently undefeated after beating both Vegas and Yukon. Do you think we can keep up this pace, or is it simply the result of easy match-ups?

4. How did you pass the time during the off-season? Living in Saskatchewan can be pretty boring at times.

5. I was watching the Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup run the other day, and it made me remember how much I miss hockey. What is your favorite hockey memory?

1.  My main goal is another Founders Cup! Anything else is just icing on the cake.

2. If we continue to get solid goaltending, the sky is the limit for this team.

3. I wouldn't call it easy matchups as you've seen some of the parity in the league from other teams. I think we can keep up the pace. Remaining undefeated is impossible but there won't be many in the L column that's for sure.

4. Non stop working out. Always working out. Charity work too. Helping with the local kids in the community.

5. The 99 ECF even though the Leafs lost. I remember that being an absolute blast. Also the 2002, and 2010 gold medal wins. Then there's championships and tournaments that I actually won as a kid.

6. I actually like them both equally. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Coke and others it's Pepsi. I rarely drink soda so maybe it's that I just don't care enough? Haha.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:52 PM, a_Ferk said:

1.To Have a strong season get like 50 points help the team win another championship and at the end of the season get called up to Prague 

2.Cal he’s the one who’s gonna keep the pucks out of our net while we hammer them down there’s 

3.i think we will slow down a bit but still keep a good place 

4. Went Golfing,Hunting Trained Of Course 

5.The Jets 2018 Playoff Run To The WCF

6.Pepsi but they taste almost the same

1. Saskatoon is currently in 6th place, which is not ideal for our hopes for the season. What do we need to do better?

2. Captain Keith Krestanovich has really struggled so far. Do you think this has affected the rest of the team?

3. On the other side of the coin, our first round pick Jesper Norbeg is doing exceptionally well and is 5th in points league wide. Does this surprise you at all?

4. Which team has the best logo, in your opinion, out of both the VHL and VHLM?

5. What team are you cheering for in the NHL playoffs, and have they disappointed you so far? My Oilers have :(

6. At what stage of your life did you first become a fan of hockey?

2 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

1. Saskatoon is currently in 6th place, which is not ideal for our hopes for the season. What do we need to do better?

2. Captain Keith Krestanovich has really struggled so far. Do you think this has affected the rest of the team?

3. On the other side of the coin, our first round pick Jesper Norbeg is doing exceptionally well and is 5th in points league wide. Does this surprise you at all?

5. What team are you cheering for in the NHL playoffs, and have they disappointed you so far? My Oilers have :(

1. I think just play more cohesively and continue to have each others backs.

2. I mean a little bit, as the captain we all look to him when we aren't playing our best. But, the blame isn't only on him, we need to all rally together and continue to improve.

3. I can't say to much regarding that, as I myself am a new player. But, it's been great to see him play and show that he was deserving of that top pick.

4. For me it's between the Kings and the Dragons, I really like the exotic feel they both have.

5. The Wild fs, I don't pay too much to hockey but since i'm from MN they're the default.

6. Being born in MN it was always something that was there, and eventually it became part of my life and something I am proud to play professionally 

2 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

1. I don't think we need to do anything better, we've been playing really well, we just need to be consistent in the playoffs if we want to win.

2. I think it might have affected some players... But it hasnt affected me yet! :) 

3. No surprise here ? well, I'm a little surprised I've done this well... And I've just capped so I can only start doing better!

4. I really like the Davos logo even though it is pretty simple I still like it, my 3 favorites would be; Davos, Vancouver, DC, and my 3 top VHLM logos would be; Saskatoon's (no bias), Mexico, and San Diego.

5. Canucks, Canucks, Canucks, and Oilers if the Canucks lose

6. I first became a fan at around 8, but I really started getting into it in grade 9.