Saskatoon Wild press conference

Peace

Week ending November 17th

1. Arguably the best player available in the draft, if nothing but skill is considered, was R. Jubis, a former Saskatoon player. However, word on the street said Jubis was VHL bound - so Saskatoon, and many other teams skipped right past him. He fell to Missisauga, 30oa. Do you think this was a smart decision?

2. And whether or not you think it was a good decision, do you think the Saskatoon managerial team has done a sufficient job of managing around this decision, both during the draft and through trades?

3. As for the rest of Saskatoon's draft, there were a few potentially gamechanging picks - for better or worse. Such as, Lafontaine at #3oa. Would you have picked someone else with this pick, or any of the other picks?

4. For the new players in Saskatoon - what do you think of the LR so far? And for the old & returning faces - what do you think we have this season, that we didn't last season?

5. I guess this an obvious question, but overall, what are your expectations for this team? Do you see a cup on the Horizon, or some other team, just everso better than our own, lifting it above our heads?

6. Final question. So, this is a team. Maybe you know everyone here, and in the LR, maybe you don't. But either way, who are you most looking forward to interacting with/playing with this season?

Edited by JohnOQuinn

20 hours ago, JohnOQuinn said:

1. Arguably the best player available in the draft, if nothing but skill is considered, was R. Jubis, a former Saskatoon player. However, word on the street said Jubis was VHL bound - so Saskatoon, and many other teams skipped right past him. He fell to Missisauga, 30oa. Do you think this was a smart decision?

2. And whether or not you think it was a good decision, do you think the Saskatoon managerial team has done a sufficient job of managing around this decision, both during the draft and through trades?

3. As for the rest of Saskatoon's draft, there were a few potentially gamechanging picks - for better or worse. Such as, Lafontaine at #3oa. Would you have picked someone else with this pick, or any of the other picks?

4. For the new players in Saskatoon - what do you think of the LR so far? And for the old & returning faces - what do you think we have this season, that we didn't last season?

5. I guess this an obvious question, but overall, what are your expectations for this team? Do you see a cup on the Horizon, or some other team, just everso better than our own, lifting it above our heads?

6. Final question. So, this is a team. Maybe you know everyone here, and in the LR, maybe you don't. But either way, who are you most looking forward to interacting with/playing with this season?

1. I'm not exactly sure. Would have been a bit safer to draft him at least in the mid 10s because for a player of his caliber, that's a steal. Sure, he might leave but 30oa is too low.

2. Definitely. They have done a good job of drafting good solid players. The trades are also solid. So far, there have been no problems in this aspect of management.

3. I mean, I am Lafontaine...I guess it was wise considering that the Wild needed a goalie but I'm surprised I was 3oa.

4. It's a good locker room. Everybody's pretty chill and it's nice.

5. Cup all the way! We have a stacked offense and defense. It all comes to my goaltending. Don't worry. I'm in it to win it.

6. Edwin THE Encarnacion. He is an offensive powerhouse. Or at least, that's what I predict he will be based on the performances of Edwin Encarnacion and the other "Encarnacions". I have a theory that they are either the same person or just clones.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, JohnOQuinn said:

1.  There was no harm in it, honestly - but Jubis will be playing for Calgary. I would have taken him one pick later 'just in case' if HC32 had been drafted by Mississauga one pick earlier. 

2.  I think so, we've been in constant communication with Jubis about his intent. 

3.  Nope, but hey... I did the drafting, right? 

4.  *Sits back and reads* 

5.  Cup. Wild Championship banner. 

6. I look forward to everyone playing. Sims when, Devise? >_> 

On 11/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, JohnOQuinn said:

1. Obviously, it was worth more for other teams to pick active prospects than lose a pick on a VHL-bound player, so whatever works for them. If I had enough picks, I probably would have taken a chance earlier but that's not how things went down.

2. Yes, I think with the development of our current players and the GM's trade wizardry to get the first three picks and Havlova, I think a masterful job was done knowing that we were going to lose a top player and still be competitive without him.

3. I like the plan that @Peace and @Elmebeck drew up and executed. We kept key, home-grown pieces and filled a major need - a goalie. 

4. We have some top-end talent, we have some depth, we have a goalie. I like the roster that has been gathered. Now let's see if we can gel. The obvious piece we have now is a goalie. 

5. I think we are one of the top contenders on paper. That being said, Mississauga, Halifax, and Houston, look strong, too. It will come to depth, I think, and how well we develop our players.

6. I've a bit of a recluse since joining and finally joined Discord, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and just being in the locker room with the boys.

Edited by animal74

On 11/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, JohnOQuinn said:

1. I have no idea here, I think that it was right to take a chance on him though. 

2. Yes I do think it was a good one, they have signed key players that will lead us into a great season.

3. No one else, love him as a player and a friend.

4. I love it, very welcoming to me.

5. I see a cup on the horizon, as well as an amazing individual season for certain players. 

6. Probs Lafontaine to be honest!

Week ending November 24th

Oh, wow. 7-1-0 with the loss to Mexico City who we promptly beat 6-2 in the next engagement! 

1 Great start to the season for the team! How well do you feel your personal goals for the season looks out of the gate?
2. Both team and league scoring has started at a frantic pace, who do you see in top at the end of the season? https://vhlportal.com/VHLM/69/PlayersStat.php?Order=P&MinGP&Max=50

3. Best or most satisfying game for you personally so far?
4. Last draft question for a while; if you were part of the draft were you happy where you ended up (whether VHLM and/or VHL).
5. It's not a secret that both the GM and AGM want to change the logo and the name of the team, but if you had your say what would you think fitting for Saskatoon?

6. If not A Little Bit South of Saskatoon, what song should the team license to use in commercials and perhaps play after a home goal?

3 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

Oh, wow. 7-1-0 with the loss to Mexico City who we promptly beat 6-2 in the next engagement! 

1 Great start to the season for the team! How well do you feel your personal goals for the season looks out of the gate?
2. Both team and league scoring has started at a frantic pace, who do you see in top at the end of the season? https://vhlportal.com/VHLM/69/PlayersStat.php?Order=P&MinGP&Max=50

4. Last draft question for a while; if you were part of the draft were you happy where you ended up (whether VHLM and/or VHL).
5. It's not a secret that both the GM and AGM want to change the logo and the name of the team, but if you had your say what would you think fitting for Saskatoon?

6. If not A Little Bit South of Saskatoon, what song should the team license to use in commercials and perhaps play after a home goal?

1. Out of the gate, not so good, I expected more out of myself.

2. Honestly, still us, we are the best team in the league.

3. No idea, been all the same to be honest. 

4. Well, for VHL, of course yea, I got drafted Moscow and will get to play with some of my friends over there.

4. I have no idea haha, I like it. 

6. Japan

5 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

1. I'm feeling great so far. Last season was my first in the league and I worked hard this off-season; hoping to continue helping the team out any way I can.

2. I see Jesse Nyman taking it. He's off to a great start.

3. Beating Mississauga. Scoring my first goal for Saskatoon against them felt great after getting traded from the Hounds last season. 

4. I'm really happy to be here in Saskatoon, and to be a part of Helsinki. The guys in our locker room are great and our GM has gone above and beyond already.

5. I would be open to a re-brand, although I'm content with our branding currently. 

6. I'm fine with A Little Bit South of Saskatoon.

6 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

1. My start has been just what i thought it would be.

2. If we just keep working hard  we will win the league, but i think i will win scoring title this season.

3. Best has been win against Houston. It is always fun to play against your old team mates.

4. Yes i was. It nice to be drafted by your hometown team and my time in Houston was great.

5. I trust my gm and agm to pick the best name and logo possibly.

6. I know there is few guys that know music a bit better than me so i let them pick us a great song.

15 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

1. Not great. My season is off to terrible season, and I'm pretty upset. But at least the team's doing well.

2. Odin Omdahl. Kid shows potential. 7th overall, doing pretty well. Wish I was as good at him.

3. Home opener vs Mississauga. First game of the season and a solid win. Pretty nice.

4. Yes. I wish I went in the second round, but I can't complain. 26th is still pretty good.

5. Saskatoon Stealth. Picture of a ninja. SS for short. This is how I think of Saskatoon.

6. Seek and Destroy. Shows Saskatoon will stop at nothing to absolutely cream the opponent.

Edited by Viperxhawks19

21 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

I'm off to a good start. Can't complain about 2 PPG

I'm up there, hopefully I can stay in the top 10.

Had a solid 3 point game in the win over MEX

I'm happy with MIN drafting me ages ago and NYA well it sucks for them

Saskatoon Silverblades

Anything less annoying than Baby shark!

On 11/18/2019 at 12:37 AM, Elmebeck said:

1. As the GM, my personal goal is winning the cup this season, and we're in a strong position to do so. 

2. Honestly, if it's a Saskatoon player, I'll be happy. I hoped Foilen would be up there more when we signed him, but Nyman at the moment probably has the best opportunity for a Saskatoon player. 

3. Our 6-2 win over Mexico to tie the season series at 1-1. 

4. Not part of the draft, but I was excited to see SSK players going in the draft. 

5. Can't reveal that. 

6. I've never really liked that song, so my preferred goal song would be Johnny Cash - I Won't Back Down.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:37 AM, Elmebeck said:

1. I'm glad I'm a point-per-game but after last season I was hoping to be producing more. My goal is 100 points but we'll see. I'll just keep working hard and hopefully move up the list of all-time Wild greats.

2. Oh, wow, that's tough to predict at this point in time. It would be great to see a Wild player at the top but I wonder if we're too deep and the minutes are too distributed. It would be cool to see a d-man lead the league and there are enough stud blueliners that this could happen.

3. In Game 41 when we beat the Mexico City Kings 6-2 in the rubber match and getting the eventual game-winner was great. Also, I always seem to play well against my former team, the Minnesota Storm, and I had a goal and an assist but I also got 17 PIM (Spearing Major / Game Misconduct) so that was... memorable.

4. I wasn't part of it, sorry.

5. I like the name but the logo could be snazzier. If the name had to be changed, something was alliteration would be cool: Sleet, Spears, Slough Monsters, idk.

6. Push by Thousand Foot Krutch. Really digging that song right now.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, Elmebeck said:

1. Well really, my personal goal is just to improve. I joined earlier today and wasn't expecting such a quick offer but I've found myself in the best hands I could possibly be in. 

2. I know Edwin has some catching up to do but I think he'll take it anyway. It's very nice seeing 4 of the top 10 being members of the Wild!

3. Well uh.... haven't played my first game yet!

4. I was not part of the draft

5. Something that brings out more of the culture in Saskatoon and Saskatchewan would be very nice! While Wild is a fitting team name, Saskatoon is grain farming central and the team could use a better fitting name and maybe more fitting colors, I'd go with a piece of grain as the logo and I'd have purple and yellow unis

6. Oh Chelsea Dagger easily. Not a hawks fan but the opponents will have it stuck in their head after they leave ?

Week ending December 1st

What a hoot! Currently 17 wins in a row! I mean, we knew we were good... but THIS GOOD?!

Not sure what to focus on really, but let's go with the flow, and happy feelings of superiority for as long as they last.

1. How's your season been so far. The team is obviously overperforming, but do you feel you could have done more or need more ice time to perform to your expectations?
2. We have nine players performing over 1 pts per game now, that's just silly, and DeYeeto performing over 2 pts/game - but none in SSK are still leading the league in goals, assists or points. Do you think that is a possibility and/or an inevitability?
3. We have had a huge influx of player from @TheFinnFTW, a few even landed here in Saskatoon too. Basically this topped up a large amount of VHLM teams' rosters. Any thoughts on the effect of that, or how we keep retention high among those new players? Advice/insights?
4. If you are new here, how has your first few days been? Does the league and the locker room (LR) make sense? And if you're not new, as always please be candid.
5. There's an obvious rival to us in the standings, but pure emotionally - which team(s) do you really wish to beat and why?
6. Thanksgiving is coming up! (at least for USA, I gather the Canadians have had theirs already); if participating - or pretending to, what's the most important part of the occasion?

Edited by Elmebeck

10 minutes ago, Elmebeck said:

1. How's your season been so far. The team is obviously overperforming, but do you feel you could have done more or need more ice time to perform to your expectations?

I feel like I could do more

2. We have nine players performing over 1 pts per game now, that's just silly, and DeYeeto performing over 2 pts/game - but none in SSK are still leading the league in goals, assists or points. Do you think that is a possibility and/or an inevitability?

That is a great thing, it just shows that we have  a stacked team

3. We have had a huge influx of player from @TheFinnFTW, a few even landed here in Saskatoon too. Basically this topped up a large amount of VHLM teams' rosters. Any thoughts on the effect of that, or how we keep retention high among those new players? Advice/insights?

Its awesome that youtubers gives this server some recognisition

4. If you are new here, how has your first few days been? Does the league and the locker room (LR) make sense? And if you're not new, as always please be candid.

Im new here and I have enjoyed my team here 

5. There's an obvious rival to us in the standings, but pure emotionally - which team(s) do you really wish to beat and why?

Las Vegas, I always forget the other teams but we will beat everyone. 

6. Thanksgiving is coming up! (at least for USA, I gather the Canadians have had theirs already); if participating - or pretending to, what's the most important part of the occasion?

The most important thing is to be around your family and closest friends

On 11/18/2019 at 3:37 AM, Elmebeck said:

For the week ending the 24th!

1. My personal goals were the team's goals, so I'd say it's going pretty well!

2. Mexico or Saskatoon will probably top out the league in scoring. individually, I'm not sure!

3. Probably the game against Houston, I had a goal and an assist. 

4. Hell yeah. Saskatoon is amazing, and we're right on track for the cup!

5. I think the Saskatoon [Redacted] sounds awesome. (I don't think I should answer this :p)

6. I think, if a 'custom' song is out of the question, a big exciting rocker would be the go-to. Something by the Offspring, maybe? Or a pop-rock song, like 'New Harlem'... something to really get the crowd going. I don't think it absolutely has to be Saskatoon related.

19 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

What a hoot! Currently 17 wins in a row! I mean, we knew we were good... but THIS GOOD?!

Not sure what to focus on really, but let's go with the flow, and happy feelings of superiority for as long as they last.

1. I can do a lot more with more ice time, but that isn't my call. I am fine wherever management puts me as long as I play, I get it's a stacked roster so let the good guys play.

2. That shouldn't even be possible! It just shows you how good this league is the the talent going to the VHL.

3. Personally, I watch him and he's cool. But this could bring loads of potential HOF players. Aaand more trade bait ???

4. Not new but I've been here for around 3 months. It's fun, yeah, and lots of nice people. When I was new it was difficult, but some amazing people (@Elmebeck, @Peace, @FrostBeard) helped me out.

5. Halisux. Why? Because their Halisux.

6. Turkey and Ham. Along with some mashed potatoes, and yes, football. (And hockey around the same time)

18 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

1. I got an assist in my first game so I'm pretty excited. Ice time isn't a concern for me.

2. I think someone from Saskatoon will lead in points at the end of the year if we keep this up, but in the end finishing first in scoring isn't our main goal.

3. I'm from Finn too actually, when I got here I noticed a lot of rosters were missing players and roles, now they're getting a little more well rounded. As long as we welcome them here and make it easy for them to understand how to get a good amount of TPE a week and just settle in, in general.Saskatoon really has helped me settle in here, and I hope it's the same for other teams.

4. I love it here, everything makes sense and I feel like I know what I'm doing.

5. I don't have a single team I think of as a rival yet. Team rivalries and player rivalries are a little different, based on how the player feels  about the other teams. But I wish to beat every team and go straight for a cup!

6. The turkey, and the family and friends. Thanksgiving is always a great time for me because there's a lot of my family that i get to see that I don't see often.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

1. Our team is rolling right now and its great to see our top guys producing at a crazy level. I feel like I can contribute more but I'm content with how much ice time I get. 

2. I think it's a possibility we can have a guy be a leader in those categories. 

3. I actually watch some of Finn's videos and its great to see he's brought so many people to the VHLM.

4. Not in my first few days here but it is my first season in Saskatoon. This is my 3rd organization already and it's quickly become my favorite. Saskatoon feels like a second home to me now. 

5. I like beating Mississauga. They shipped me out of there to San Diego only a couple weeks after I joined and it caught me by surprise. I don't have any bad blood with them as they were great people, but it's been great beating them and scoring against them this season.  

6. For me, it's seeing my mom. She's been my number 1 fan ever since I started playing. I have no shame in saying I'm a mama's boy.

On 11/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

1. I have 46 points I believe, what my GM thinks to be a great season. However, I can't say that I'm not a little disappointed, I just thought I would have more points at this point and time.

2. Probably, we are the best team in the league, but our team is just so filled with star power that no one might lead in anything.

3. I have no idea about any of that haha.

4. Nah I am not new, but I still love it here, been here 3 seasons and learning how the league works has been fun.

5. Mexico, they are full of themselves, and think they are better than us.

6. Being grateful for your family, and always realizing all that you have within your hands. 

On 11/24/2019 at 1:53 PM, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

1. I'm fairly happy with my season. I'm in a different role now than what I expected during the off-season but I'm still over a point-per-game. I just need to break the @Peace curse and score more goals!

2. Well, DeYeeto @Cranis currently leading in assists and points because he's a filthy animal. With the depth on our team, I don't know if any of us will catch up enough to take over the goals leader.

3. I think it's good to have more players and help the line ups and depth of teams. I think the TPE system has enough bonuses, etc., to retain players, but I think we need to clean things up in the forums. I've been in the league before and it took me a while to find a lot of the information I needed. There's not an easy one-stop spot for new players who may not understand what's going on. Also, there is a lot of old information on the forums that need cleaning up.

4. Not new but I am glad I joined Discord now! It's been much more helpful than I thought it would be.

5. Anytime I beat my old team, the Minnesota Storm, I get warm fuzzies.

6. I'm Canadian so been there, done that. Most important part is to actually be thankful, enjoy it with the people you love, and pumpkin pie.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, Elmebeck said:

Week ending December 1st

1. I personally feel I havent done much. Im not worried about individual stats over team ones though Id rather worry about winning then scoring all the pts ect. 

2. I don't because the team is so talented that everyone is pitching in!

3. no comment.. 

4. Im a recreate so i know the league, but so far the wild have been awesome. 

5. Personally I look at them all the same. not looking to beat a certain team but as many of them as we can . 

6. THE FOOOD ! nothing beats getting stuffed then watching football while passing out on the couch.