Mitch Matthews Player Biography [1/2]

Antone10

Skillset

First let us go over a summary of Mitch's current build. Mitch is a defense first stay at home defender who is moving in the direction of building his offence skills. Mitch can move the puck well and has strong skating. He has shown early determination to become a player that every team will want to draft when it is his time to move into the VHL professional league.

VHLM Draft

Mitch Matthews was drafted by the Las Vegas Aces of the VHML in the 4th round 26th overall. He remained an unknown in the draft was Vegas was willing to take a chance on him. Mitch was informed he is destined for top pairing minutes this season where he will play along side the team captain in Eric Parker.

Developing Star

Mitch's early life was that of a normal hockey loving Canadian boy. He was a leaf fan from the start and started playing hockey as early as two when he was gifted a mini stick from an uncle. At age three Mitch was already learning how to skate which allowed him to ease into the game at age 4. He was like most young boys at that time but by the age of 6 and 7 Mitch was a quick study of the game. He was usually drafted by the age group ahead of him which to this game instilled a lot of confidence in his game and personal abilities. He had a drive for success ever since he was young. That drive can still be seen today as he works his way from the minor league to the pro league.

High school and college remained hockey central in Mitch Matthews mind. He was a member of his schools hockey team in High school and college producing some strong stats and winning best defenseman trophy's at both levels. His 3rd year university team won their regional championship and Matthews was awarded the playoff MVP with a very strong +14 through the 11 games it took them to capture the championship.

https://i.ibb.co/SVL9M8d/Untitledtrophy.png

Scouting

Mitch has every chance to become a strong member of any teams blue line. He hopes to impress this season with Las Vegas and be drafted in the first couple rounds of the VHL draft. This would mean the world to him as he has worked very hard to get to where he is today. We were able to track down a scout for an unnamed VHL franchise who provided the following quote, "Mitch has promise, we have seen players of his build and caliber most seasons but what makes Mitch stand out is his determination to be a strong defender while leaving the door open to improve his offensive skills on and off the ice surface. We have Mitch in our radar and hope to steal him somewhere in the 2nd round of next season's draft should he still be available". Strong words from a seasoned VHL scout. Mitch was contacted and had the following in response to the scouts comments, "Truly I am blown away by such strong words and belief in my game and abilities. He captured exactly what I am trying to do with my game. Defense first followed by strengthening my offensive side. I am excited for that is ahead for me. We have a very well balanced roster in Vegas and playing top minutes with an established defender in Eric Parker should help my game and skill set exponentially. I cannot wait to get on the ice and show what I can bring to the show".

Mitch's Favorite Hockey Memory

Mentioned earlier in this player biography we discussed when Mich won the playoff MVP trophy in his 3rd year as a member of his university team. It was more than just his impressive +14 in the 11 games that won him the award. Mitch also was the primary assist leader on his team with 8 and also added 4 secondary assists. He had one lone goal in the playoff run which came in the 5th game of round 2, the tie breaker game. He opened the scoring for his team who went on to win the game 4-1 to advance to the finals. But all of what was mentioned is statistical. What was Mitch's favorite hockey memory? As a Maple Leaf fan growing up in the hockey eccentric Canadian landscape, Mitch has the opportunity to meet and greet with his biggest hockey hero. That hero was none other than Mats Sundin. Surprised his favorite hero was not a defenseman? Sundin also had an excellent defensive ability as he was one of the best two way forwards of his time. Mitch smiled ear to ear as he approached Mats who signed for him a hat and hockey card which he has held onto. The hat is now in a glass shadowbox back at his family home and the card has been kept in a hard shell case which follows Matthews from home to home as he had moved over the years following his hockey dream.

Eyes on gold

Mitch also has his sights set on representing his nation with Team Canada at the junior and world championships level. If he keeps up his rate of general improvement in his game he could find a place on the junior team as early as this season. Being able to wear the red and white on his chest is very dear to his heart and to his family who have been dire hard hockey fans ever since Mitch got his first mini stick from his uncle at age 2. A gold medal representing team Canada is one of the most treasured achievements a Canadian hockey player can achieve. Canada has been a dominant force in international hockey for many years and Mitch hopes to add his name to those ranks.

Look for Mitch Matthews as the VHLM season moves closer to puck drop. Las Vegas is one of the teams to watch and Matthews has promise of being one of its key players for the duration of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Review:

Over 1000 words, so you meet that requirement. :)

Good luck with your career. Definitely fun to be able to play for Canada too if you can!

Having name that takes from Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews is something to live up to, and being an unknown in the draft is really fun to start out with. Be that steal of a pick!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Mitch Matthews Player Biography [1/2]