Elasmobranch Fish Bio [2/2]

Sharkstrong

ELASMOBRANCH FISH BIOGRAPHY

Yallingup.jpg

Everyone knows that good stories start with a narrator, a deep and pleasant voice that persuades you to stay alert and persuades you to be carried by the plot. The response of the hand to the right is, however, in the right direction. It will take you by the hand to the places where the story unfolds and will insinuate the details so that your conscience knows what path to follow and your imagination flies free, but in the right direction. Unfortunately this is not a good story. It's not pretty. It's not nice. And maybe it should never be written. You still have time to turn around, turn your back on this story and see the sunlight shine, although I can not force you...

It all started on a starry summer night, in Yallingup, a small town of barely a thousand people south of Perth, Australia. A couple walked hand in hand along the beach, smiling, fun and, since that night, in love. And also indifferent to the fate that awaited them. Ariel Laguna was the kind of person who made the day happier to the people who were lucky enough to be by her side. She arrived smiling, wherever he went, filling people with joy, and whatever happened, she left smiling, content as always, but taking with her that aura that she had and that made so happy those she left behind. She never knew the number of conversations of which she was the protagonist, and it is better that way. I will not describe her anymore. As I said, this is not one of those stories. Just imagine the most adorable and kind person you can. Maybe that's still not enough. For his part Finn Fish was a strong man, polite and helpful. He exercised in the mornings and read Marcus Aurelius' Meditations whenever he had some free time. He loved that book. Unlike Ariel, he was not enthusiastic about human contact, but he still knew how to treat people. He never confessed his greatest dream, for it was also his greatest secret. You got it, friend. I would give anything to be able to tell you that.

Have you ever thought about how capricious fate can be? He is capable of giving you what you most want, but he is also capable of taking it from you. Ariel Laguna gave birth to a beautiful baby with flushed cheeks fruit of love, and died in childbirth. Finn Fish's life was never the same again. He tried to overcome the loss for his son, to make him happy, to teach him as his mother would have done, but his life had also ended in that hospital operating room.

Despite everything Elasmobranch Fish grew up as a happy child. He could always count on his father for anything, anytime, and he seemed to be liked by people. It was seen from the first moment. He had the gift of his mother. The animals were comfortable with him and even the other babies laughed and waved their hands when El looked at them. All the grandmothers of Australia would have queued at the door of his house to pinch his cheeks, and he would have left them if it would have given them joy. As soon as he learned to speak, it was known that he had charisma. He was able to persuade other children, to take them to their land and at the same time make them believe that it was their idea. He was clever and rarely erred in his ideas, which further increased the confidence that his companions deposited in him. 

His father witnessed the development of his little boy with a smile. Yes, he smiled. On the outside he seemed happy but on the inside he hadn't feel anything for a long time. At night he would bring out a bottle of whiskey that he kept on the highest shelf in the pantry and would give a good account of it. Each morning it was replenished, often in different stores so that the neighbors would not suspect. It was a small town.

One morning when El was 8 years old, the school principal went to class to find him and took him to his office.

"Elasmobranch, dear." he said. "I have bad news. I'm afraid your father has had a traffic accident and ... he's dead. The police have found a letter for you in his car. Take it." He did not cry. His father had taught him that he should be a strong man and that he had to overcome adversity, whatever it was. He took the letter out of the envelope and mentally read:

"To my beloved El.

I love you, my son. Never stop enjoying life. Squeeze every moment and get something good from everything that happens to you. Live to reach your maximum potential, be the best person you can.
I'm sorry I have not been more helpful. Your mother would have known how to do it better. Make her feel proud.

I love you

daddy.

He did not cry. He never asked himself why that letter was in his father's car, and nobody ever mentioned it to him either. The funeral was that same afternoon. The whole town attended and the Reverend said some beautiful words. His father had never been a great believer, but it was a moving speech, so it did not matter to the young orphan. He did not cry. Several neighbors tried make him spend the night with them, since he had no more family, but refused in full, and when social services were presented he managed to convince them in some way to let him sleep once more at home. Once there he showered, put on his pajamas, lay on his father's bed... and cried.

The next morning began an endless period of shelters, changes of school, orphanages... Elasmobranch went around the island several times in just 4 years. His behavior was always excellent, as well as his academic and athletic performance, but for some reason no place enjoyed the stability necessary to settle permanently, until at the tender age of 12 years a lovely couple of Adelaide took him out of an orphanage for last time.

They gave him everything he needed and tried that he could take roots comfortably. Elasmobranch took advantage of those years to the fullest. He learned to swim, surf, dive, and command a boat. He loved water, it attracted him. He was able to beat several regional swimming records, which was very difficult in Australia, and he was named captain of the waterpolo team.

At age of 16 he left Oceania for the first time to travel with his adoptive family to Montreal, Canada. He would never have imagined that he could be so cold. The sidewalks were frozen and he had to be very careful to not fall. In my opinion life knew that it had been too taught with that boy. It had taken everything from him, and despite that the boy was happy and eager to live, always improving, always learning ... I think that's why it gave him hockey. Elasmobranch Fish deserved good things.

A demonstration of superhuman equilibrium on the frozen pavement of Montreal, in the eyes of the general manager of the Halifax 21st, was the way life had to tell the boy: "Go. Be happy. I can not beat you, and that's why you deserve it."

Do you want to know what the future will bring? It does not matter. For the moment, enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Bro, this is beautiful. Jesus, I think you are probably one of the best, if not the best writer on the whole VHL site, and English isn't even your first language. No way, I or anyone could have come up with this. And I genuinely mean what I say, I'm not just trying to be nice. I could completely relate with El as the story progressed and when he received the news about his father, my throat started welling up. Dude, if you don't already write as a career, you gotta start. This is an exemplary piece of writing and I'm so glad I decided to do reviewing this week.

This was a wonderfully written bio. It goes into incredible detail of the character's history and the part with the letter was just the cherry on top. You should seriously consider writing more though because this really made it feel like you were connected to the character. Seeing the hard times they faced really built up wanting to see them succeed. I enjoyed reading this, excellent job!