Keaton Louth Rule

Quik

As most around here know, there is a rule in place in the VHL that all teams must start a 2nd goalie for a minimum of 8 games. Until very recently, the league's simmers have taken it upon themselves to enforce that teams adhere to this rule, however, it is not on @Will, or any other simmer, to do so. Going forward, it will be a GM's full responsibility to ensure their team has 8 starts from a 2nd goalie.

The punishment for failing to start a 2nd goaltender the minimum 8 games, is at the discretion of the league's Commissioners. This punishment can involve loss of draft picks and/or cap space in following seasons, as well as potentially having to start a backup goaltender in the playoffs, for games missed in the regular season.

Should an offending team be managed, or contain a player created, by a VHL Commissioner, an alternate will take their place in determining the level of punishment levied for failing to start a back-up goaltender the minimum required number of games.

This should apply twice-fold in the VHLM in my opinion. In my suggestion, I recommended two games per every ten the team plays. Essentially two games in a ten game schedule were played by the backup goaltender, which in a seventy two game schedule turns into about 14 - 16 games. 

Edited by Peace

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

This should apply twice-fold in the VHLM in my opinion. In my suggestion, I recommended two games per every ten the team plays. Essentially two games in a ten game schedule were played by the backup goaltender, which in a seventy two game schedule turns into about 14 - 16 games. 

not a bad idea

33 minutes ago, Peace said:

I mean, yeah, that's fair. That's a @Banackock / @.sniffuM discussion, but yeah...

The only issue is enforcing that would be a nightmare, and it's not really fair to force them to look into every team's schedule and keep track of who plays a backup in a certain block of games or not.

I would think/hope that VHLM GMs are playing active backup goalies a decent amount though.

Less needed imo in VHLM, but I’ll give it thought. 

We have 7263728 things and discussions going. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here and get overwhelmed. One thing at a time so things are proper and we have limited to zero issues. 

5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Less needed imo in VHLM, but I’ll give it thought. 

We have 7263728 things and discussions going. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here and get overwhelmed. One thing at a time so things are proper and we have limited to zero issues. 

I don't mean to clutter things, but I'm just a simpleton on the website. I can't see any of the discussions going on in the BoG or behind closed curtains.

• Quik changed the title to Keaton Louth Rule
1 hour ago, Peace said:

I'm good with the 14-16 games (when I had 2 actives, they were 38 and 34 games) but adamantly opposed to them having to be incremented, as it would turn into a nightmare for inputting lines. If all 14-16 games are dead center of the season, that is fine. Don't think it's reasonable to have to put in new lines essentially every sim just to swap goalies if nothing is changing.

I like the rule, in fact I wouldn't mind if it were more games. This way we could help ease the goalie situation when eventually we have too many goalies in the VHL. It wouldn't be so bad to draft a goalie.

1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

I'm good with the 14-16 games (when I had 2 actives, they were 38 and 34 games) but adamantly opposed to them having to be incremented, as it would turn into a nightmare for inputting lines. If all 14-16 games are dead center of the season, that is fine. Don't think it's reasonable to have to put in new lines essentially every sim just to swap goalies if nothing is changing.

14-16 games in the middle of the season is boring for a backup goaltender I'd imagine. Incremental games, sure, but spread out. 5 games at the start, 5 games in the middle and 5 games at the end. A playoff game. 

It would also help if teams set the 'pull goalie' feature after allowing like four goals or something. 

39 minutes ago, Peace said:

I don't mean to clutter things, but I'm just a simpleton on the website. I can't see any of the discussions going on in the BoG or behind closed curtains.

All good. As bana said though, there is a lot currently being discussed (VHLM and otherwise), so hit us with a reminder on this in a couple weeks when things are hopefully a little more fleshed out and we should be able to give more attention to it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

This season Quebec ( @Beaviss) failed to start their backup 3 times and Helsinki once. While both GM’s made attempts they ultimately did leave it to the last minute when standings were more or less set and also knew the rules would be enforced.

Since @Quik was directly involved (being Helsinki GM) @Will and I were the ones to confer on it and we agree that the best course of action this season would be to remove playoff games from both teams.

Therefore QUE G will be starting for the (up to) 3 games of the Wild Card round and HSK G will start the first game of the Riga vs. Helsinki series.

As a reminder to all, games played and games started are not the same thing. The backup goalie must start 8 games. The starter being pulled and giving the backup an extra GP does not count.

@VHL GM

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

This season Quebec ( @Beaviss) failed to start their backup 3 times and Helsinki once. While both GM’s made attempts they ultimately did leave it to the last minute when standings were more or less set and also knew the rules would be enforced.

Since @Quik was directly involved (being Helsinki GM) @Will and I were the ones to confer on it and we agree that the best course of action this season would be to remove playoff games from both teams.

Therefore QUE G will be starting for the (up to) 3 games of the Wild Card round and HSK G will start the first game of the Riga vs. Helsinki series.

As a reminder to all, games played and games started are not the same thing. The backup goalie must start 8 games. The starter being pulled and giving the backup an extra GP does not count.

@VHL GM

He did start 8 games....

Oh I remember what happened now... It was when devise was simming and I sent lines to the vhl email... And they wernt uploaded for 3 days and when I checked que G I saw 7 games played. I guess I assumed I was in the clear.....

• Commissioner
41 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Oh I remember what happened now... It was when devise was simming and I sent lines to the vhl email... And they wernt uploaded for 3 days and when I checked que G I saw 7 games played. I guess I assumed I was in the clear.....

Like I said, games played aren’t games started. Even with the extra one against Seattle that you weren’t expecting you were 3 under. It sucks but it’s the rules; we were very clear that we’d start punishing for it.

58 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Like I said, games played aren’t games started. Even with the extra one against Seattle that you weren’t expecting you were 3 under. It sucks but it’s the rules; we were very clear that we’d start punishing for it.

Next season I'm just gonna cpu start the next 8 games so I don't have to worry about it next time.