Keaton Louth Rule

Quik

3 hours ago, troy said:

"the integrity of the league should always be questioned" when actions are taken in the context of rules being broken? do i get that right?

Yes?

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

So basically you’re arguing a conspiracy and the league is against you because we didn’t decide to punish in a different way even though the way we did lunish was completely laid out as an option originally? Am I reading that right?

I promise you, I make no decisions with the intention of trying to piss people off. However every decision will upset someone, it’s the nature of the beast. You and Arthur got upset about the playoff games being taken but I guarantee others in the league would have seen it as getting off easy if we simply took a draft pick or something.

The option was there as laid out by the OP. I’m sorry if you disagree with it but it was part of the punishments that were decided upon by the league and announced before the season started. Everyone, GM’s most of all, knew about it.

Yes?  Not against me directly, but since I´m part of the team - it had a effect on me. Even if you laid out 18 different options for punishment and this is still the one you picked up from the pile, I´m going to ask why and/or moan about it.

I have hard time believing that anybody would be upset with more backup games next year type of penalty or even with the cap or pick penalties.( In this case, not in the extreme ones)

8 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Yes?

Yes?  Not against me directly, but since I´m part of the team - it had a effect on me. Even if you laid out 18 different options for punishment and this is still the one you picked up from the pile, I´m going to ask why and/or moan about it.

I have hard time believing that anybody would be upset with more backup games next year type of penalty or even with the cap or pick penalties.( In this case, not in the extreme ones)

I don't understand how you can have a problem with a rule being enforced as it was agreed upon, before the start of the season. No new rule was dropped on any GM that had no idea about it, nor was any punishment decided upon in any unfair manner. Nobody with a connection or any biases made the decision to choose this punishment. And it was a punishment among the list of punishments that GM's who made the playoffs knew would be selected. 

The whole idea behind punishing GM's for not putting back ups in was agreed upon to be harsh, so as to EVER have to avoid it again. This season sets a great precedent for that, since while it is the first season it was punished for, all of this was laid out near the deadline last season and this rule was formally announced before hand. 

I'm not saying you don't have a right to moan. It sucks. It sucks to have your playoffs tainted with a back up goalie in net instead of your starter. But it's the rules. Was determined to be as such before the season (and agreed upon by all participating parties) and will be the rules going forward. Argument wise, there is no leg to stand on here. You can disagree with the decision all you want but it was made fairly and justly and it's pretty much that. 

If you wanted to make a larger debate about why back ups should even be played at all, feel free. But the reason we wound up with these rulesets is because the majority or the larger consensus determined that mandatory back up games was in the spirit of the league, and obviously agreed that harsher punishments for not meeting them would be in order starting with this season. 

3 hours ago, Devise said:

I don't understand how you can have a problem with a rule being enforced as it was agreed upon, before the start of the season. No new rule was dropped on any GM that had no idea about it, nor was any punishment decided upon in any unfair manner. Nobody with a connection or any biases made the decision to choose this punishment. And it was a punishment among the list of punishments that GM's who made the playoffs knew would be selected. 

The whole idea behind punishing GM's for not putting back ups in was agreed upon to be harsh, so as to EVER have to avoid it again. This season sets a great precedent for that, since while it is the first season it was punished for, all of this was laid out near the deadline last season and this rule was formally announced before hand. 

I'm not saying you don't have a right to moan. It sucks. It sucks to have your playoffs tainted with a back up goalie in net instead of your starter. But it's the rules. Was determined to be as such before the season (and agreed upon by all participating parties) and will be the rules going forward. Argument wise, there is no leg to stand on here. You can disagree with the decision all you want but it was made fairly and justly and it's pretty much that. 

If you wanted to make a larger debate about why back ups should even be played at all, feel free. But the reason we wound up with these rulesets is because the majority or the larger consensus determined that mandatory back up games was in the spirit of the league, and obviously agreed that harsher punishments for not meeting them would be in order starting with this season. 

Over the top punishment for silly rule, that is what I have problem with. No problem with VHL punishing for breaking the rules.

The actual rule that you have to play backup 8 games is silly, the fact that it´s so important to the league that go to punishment to make sure it´s followed is to punish the whole team by playing whatever missed games in the playoffs with a backup is crazy. In the spirit of the league, the best of the best should go against each other in the playoffs and if there is a need to punish a GM over something trivial, it´s done in some other way. BUT if this is the only way, so be it.

Hopefully there is no more incidents like this.

• 1 year later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I'm just going to announce it here:

For failure to start 8 back-up games, London United has been fined $1M in cap space for S75, and they must have a minimum of 10 Backup Starts in S75, as well. Assuming they comply, their minimum Backup starts will return to 8, in S76.

@McWolf

58 minutes ago, Quik said:

The one where I live in 2020 Canada, not 1352 England

AND HAVE YOU EVER TRIED LIVING IN 1352 ENGLAND

Just ask Victor smh

3 hours ago, McWolf said:

wow who hired this guy?

jokes aside, i'll practice counting with the new discord bot. I like to think that's why it's there

Someone needs to ping Beav (and you apparently) every time the bot hits 8.

Edited by GustavMattias

Just my two cents, I know it's an old topic. For me it depends on the situation honestly. You have to look at when goalies joined, and team comp. For instance, in San Diego Hasek joined after recreation day so obviously he's going to get less games than a starter. Yukon only had 1 goaltender all season (which I also don't think is fair) so how are we going to say, hey start your bot. In my opinion:

VHL & VHLM

- Every team MUST carry two goalie (flexibly you could give a deadline to have this done but honestly should just be a requirement from day 1 of the season)

VHL

- Backup goaltender(s) must reach 15% of total regular season games played (10-11 games). This would mean if you for some strange reason did have three goalies they would have to combine for the 10-11, not 10-11 individually.

VHLM

- Backup goaltender(s) must reach 25% of total regular season games played (18 games). This would mean if you for some strange reason did have three goalies they would have to combine for the 18, not 18 individually. (The M is about development and encouraging activity in the league which is why it should be more).

Optional VHLM: Backup goaltender must start at least one game in the playoffs. (Because the VHL has a preliminary round I suppose simming for the VHLM playoffs could drop to one game per day during that round to work this in but that's just an optional take. This would be harder to pull off.)

Penalties for Non-Compliance

In the event a VHL team doesn't follow this edict would be subject to a cap penalty equal to 1.5x that of their backup goaltender's cap hit (not including the goalie's cap itself) and would last for the duration of the goaltender's contract (season end expiring deals would be treated as one year penalties). for example: If your backup makes $2M for the next two seasons, your cap penalty for the next two seasons would be $3M over those two seasons.

In the event a VHLM team doesn't follow this edict they would be subject to draft penalties including a loss of their most current 1st round pick (meaning if you don't have a 1st that season it carries to next season).

Optional for both: It would technically be a breach of contract on the part of the franchise with this edict and therefore technically the backup should be given the option to walk as a free agent but again, that's a further discussion point.

Second Violation: On both fronts, if there's a second violation then that's when corrective action should be taken. We want to encourage people to play and wouldn't want to bury an organization so for me a second violation should mean a GM removal. 

Edited by IamMOOSE

• 8 months later...

…the one where it kinda happened again?

Luckily this was caught during the first series of play, but this season there were two teams to break the Louth Rule and didn’t get all of their backup games in. 

Vancouver’s backup goalies only started 6 games this season, so they will be receiving a $1M cap reduction and are required to start their backup a minimum of 10 games, in S79.

DC’s backup did start 8 games, but as per their punishment for failing to do so last season, were required to start 9. The punishment for this will be that the Dragons are required to start their backup goaltender for Game 3, against New York. 

@fonziGG

@Enorama

49 minutes ago, Quik said:

…the one where it kinda happened again?

Luckily this was caught during the first series of play, but this season there were two teams to break the Louth Rule and didn’t get all of their backup games in. 

Vancouver’s backup goalies only started 6 games this season, so they will be receiving a $1M cap reduction and are required to start their backup a minimum of 10 games, in S79.

DC’s backup did start 8 games, but as per their punishment for failing to do so last season, were required to start 9. The punishment for this will be that the Dragons are required to start their backup goaltender for Game 3, against New York. 

@fonziGG

@Enorama

Let's go Michael Olson! @MSO94 first career playoff start 👀

Edited by 16z

4 hours ago, Quik said:

DefenselessWideeyedBrahmanbull-max-1mb.g