Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 9)

Advantage

To New York

S37 – Bennett Wahl

S41 Riga 2nd Round Pick (David Blind)

To Toronto

S33 – Riley Stevens

S40 Calgary 2nd Round Pick (Ryan Cattrall)

S41 Calgary 2nd Round Pick (Raphael Pettyfer)

This trade was a move to improve my second line and give my second unit a solid center to anchor it.  I moved out the depreciated Stevens, who was on the level of a high-end VHLM player and two picks for Wahl and a second round pick that was expected to be a later pick in the draft.

Wahl was excellent as an American and finished his career solidly with 331 points in 360 games and was an excellent LR presence.  That being said, I had hoped for a bit more out of Wahl and he ultimately wasn’t fully active after the trade.  Nevertheless though, Munk was someone I was always a big fan of.  Sadly, David Blind didn’t really work out as he was one of Knight’s inactives as I had hoped he may regain his previous reputation as a Hall of Fame builder.

This trade actually worked out better than I expected it would for Toronto.  They were in a bind cause Munk wasn’t likely to re-sign with them and they wanted to get something for him.  Stevens was a simple depth guy that wasn’t really able to do much for them, and was really there for cap reasons.  Cattrall started out brilliantly but unfortunately retired after a successful rookie season that saw him record sixty points in seventy-two games.  Pettyfer though had a solid career and outproduced Wahl, albeit over more games, with 368 points in 504 games, so due to the decent drafting, this trade was more even than I expected.

To New York:

S38 - Steve Tremblay

S42 COL 2nd Rounder (Travis Willcox)

S42 QUE 2nd Rounder (Ivars Klajums)

S42 COL 3rd Rounder (PASS)

To Cologne:

S33 Wesley Kellinger

S36 Andrey Zadorov

Without a doubt the worse value trade I probably have ever made, at least while GM of the Americans.  I was well over the cap and in a bind and with no suitors outside of Cologne I sorta had to settle for what I could get as very few teams had the cap for Kellinger, who was in his last season, and Zadorov who was on a Prime Contract.  I had hoped I could get a cheap forward back in Tremblay and hit on at least one of my picks, but alas I ended up getting really nothing of substance in the trade.

Kellinger went on to a Most Valuable Player Trophy in his last season, finishing his career with 728 points in 576 games.  Zadorov had a long and productive career, mainly as the number two defender on most of his teams until later in his career, recording 370 points in 504 games to go along with 807 hits and 799 blocked shots.  Zadorov had quite a few years left as a two-way defender which made this trade an especially tough one to make.