Simming addiction

oilmandan

Why is there so much pressure to sim every day? I for one enjoy the break during the offseason. It gives everyone a chance to breathe and take a step back briefly. And it seems to be getting more and more that people are clamouring and complaining if sims aren't done in a lightning fast fashion.

I know the EFL runs differently cause there are much few games, but I get excited on game day. When they sim the EFL and NCAA games it's an event.  I find during the middle of the season here, you get the dog days and it drags on. You check the box scores leave a comment and go on your way.

Would it be possible and realistic to have your 5-10 games simmed per team a week, but have one chosen at the game of the week? I'm not sure how in depth STHS is for stats and such, but if you had a presenter, you could send them a copy of the sim and have them post parts of the game such as penalties, goals and such, and have them comment on what's going on. You could also do your build up before the game and make it exciting.

Say something like this.

18:05 left in the third period. The Americans lead Davos 3-2, and are headed back to the power play. So far they are 3-6 and have been unstoppable. Shots are 23-19 Davos and NYA G has stood on his head, most of the night. He was a sieve in the first, allowing both goals on 6 shots.

Etc etc etc 

Just a thought to make things exciting and maybe get people to ease off the crack addiction for constant simming. Everyone has a life outside of what goes on here, and it's ok if sims aren't done on a strict schedule 

5 minutes ago, Peace said:

Part of the push for one sim a day is how long the season takes. Two months is the target, so in order to accomplish that target they aim one a day. 

I understand that, but what is the rush? If it took an extra 2 weeks, would it be so bad? I know people will bitch and moan, cause that's what people do.

For simplicity sake, let's say including the offseason, 1 calendar season took 3 months. Your 8 year VHL career plus say 1 in the VHLM takes 27 months. 2 years and 3 months. 

If you rush it along as it is now, say again for simplicity, you subtract 2 weeks per whole season. That's only 4.5 months you've saved. 

In my mind not a big deal. It seems like very recently that I joined, and that I'm still a very new member, yet I'm in my 3rd season already (1 VHLM,  2 VHL)

8 minutes ago, oilmandan said:

I understand that, but what is the rush? If it took an extra 2 weeks, would it be so bad? I know people will bitch and moan, cause that's what people do.

For simplicity sake, let's say including the offseason, 1 calendar season took 3 months. Your 8 year VHL career plus say 1 in the VHLM takes 27 months. 2 years and 3 months. 

If you rush it along as it is now, say again for simplicity, you subtract 2 weeks per whole season. That's only 4.5 months you've saved. 

In my mind not a big deal. It seems like very recently that I joined, and that I'm still a very new member, yet I'm in my 3rd season already (1 VHLM,  2 VHL)

That’s more of a question for the BoG members and not myself. If the league wants a typical career to last a year then that’s respectable too. 

For the current strategy it seems there needs to be more of a few things: Communicate more to let people know you’re burning out, deligate weeks to a specific simmer and rotate responsibilities, have someone specifically responsible for creating a sim schedule and who’s assigned to it.

Work smart, not hard. ;)

Unless your boss is watching and pretend like you’re wiping sweat off your forehead. 

3 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I think it would be fun to have someone give live updates of the Sim come playoff time like for the finals or whatever

or a Play By Play - Similar to what the SHL does. Sim early on or whatever and only release it to the person who is doing the PBP to let them whip something up. = 3 UNCAPPED TPE per PBP you sign up for. 

In regards to simming and such - I prefer daily sims. I don't care if they're really late or early unless its playoffs and nerves are on :) 

• Commissioner

Honestly I’ve always enjoyed having daily sims in the VHL far more than having PbP. That’s kinda always been the case for me. I find in football sims and whatnot I don’t have the time in my day to sit down and read the entire thing anyway so it adds a ton of work for something that personally I don’t read which just means fewer sims.

That’s why I like daily sims. Allows me to see usually 2 games per day for my player and I can check it quickly. Part of what has worked in the VHL’s favour for longevity is that our sims take basically no time. I think adding to that workload is setting ourselves up for failure.

FWIW as much as I don’t care about them, STHS does provide full PbP in a sense at the bottom of the full game thread. We use prettier looking portal ones but you can get to the full ones and see the full thing if you wanted or we wanted to use them. To me it just isn’t worth it.

12 minutes ago, Peace said:

That’s more of a question for the BoG members and not myself. If the league wants a typical career to last a year then that’s respectable too. 

For the current strategy it seems there needs to be more of a few things: Communicate more to let people know you’re burning out, deligate weeks to a specific simmer and rotate responsibilities, have someone specifically responsible for creating a sim schedule and who’s assigned to it.

That's a good idea too. It can create more opportunities for jobs around the site too if its wanted. 

14 minutes ago, Peace said:

Unless your boss is watching and pretend like you’re wiping sweat off your forehead. 

This is great advice hahaha.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I’ve always enjoyed having daily sims in the VHL far more than having PbP. That’s kinda always been the case for me. I find in football sims and whatnot I don’t have the time in my day to sit down and read the entire thing anyway so it adds a ton of work for something that personally I don’t read which just means fewer sims.

That’s why I like daily sims. Allows me to see usually 2 games per day for my player and I can check it quickly. Part of what has worked in the VHL’s favour for longevity is that our sims take basically no time. I think adding to that workload is setting ourselves up for failure.

Even if it was just a game a week that had the pbp?

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

In regards to simming and such - I prefer daily sims. I don't care if they're really late or early unless its playoffs and nerves are on :) 

A bit of a wait builds the excitement and tension. Means more trash talk too

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, oilmandan said:

Even if it was just a game a week that had the pbp?

Kinda because I wonder what purpose it serves. Hiring and paying someone to sift through the PbP and make it interesting for an hour while how many people “watch”, maybe 10? If it’s a single game that means 2 teams, even 2 really active teams have maybe 10-12 players on them so that’s 20-24 players total who will be interested since people won’t care if it’s not their team. If you remove the ones that can’t watch because time zones fuck with them I’d imagine you have fewer than 10 members actually around for it.

So at the end of the day we’d be paying someone to take a long time to do something (that anyone could read themselves) for 10 members. I don’t personally see the use of that. Maybe for like All-Star games or something which have a wider appeal but that’s about it. I don’t think for regular games there is a lot of point to it.