Dimitri Volosenkov

Ove.jpg.deb8ce8fe69f62a7417f4a1a8dfc67ba.jpg

Position: LW
Height: 72 in.
Weight: 190 lbs.
Birthplace: Russia

Preferred Number: 77

Early Childhood

Dimitri Volosenkov was born on August 23rd, 1997 to Sergei and Helena Volosenkov in the city of St. Petersburg, Russia. He is the middle child in the family with an older brother Evgeni (25), and a younger sister Svetlana (18). Dimitri has always been involved in the hockey lifestyle with his father being a successful player in the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg. He grew up watching his father play and teaching him how to play at a very young age. His father wanted him to grow up to play in the VHL someday and wanted him to practice whenever Dimitri wasn't in school. He would spend most of his free time at the rink working on his skating and his shot with his father. Dimitri never felt forced into playing hockey, the game just came to him naturally. He had a very deep passion for it even as young as 3 or 4 years old. Ever since a young age it was his dream to make it to the pros and make his father proud, whether it be in the KHL, NHL, or VHL.

Preteen Years

Dimitri spent the majority of his youth life attending schools in St. Petersburg and playing on the best hockey teams he could try out for. When he was 11 years old his father tragically died in a plane crash on the way to Helsinki to play against the Jokerit. This hit Dimitri very hard as he had spent a lot of time with his father and countless hours training with him. Dimitri wanted to make sure that he would make his father proud even if he wasn't around to see it. He would never miss a summer camp, even travelling to Moscow to train with NHL greats such as; Pavel Bure and Sergei Federov. Dimitri once met Pavek Datsyuk during a camp and idolized how he played the game of hockey. He began watching every game Datsyuk played in and studying how lethal he was on the ice. He aspired to grow his game to such a level were he could strip players of the puck and outmaneuver opponents with his slick footwork. Players knew what Datsyuk was capable of and Dimitri wanted to grow to that same level of notoriety amongst the league he was in.

QMJHL - Halifax Mooseheads

Hfx.thumb.jpg.2a234be4788e448a4ab06e650973bf7b.jpgDimitri's first step of success was when he was drafted in the first round 7th overall by the Halifax Mooseheads. The following season he impressed at training camp and got a spot on the roster in his rookie season. Every year he kept increasing his minutes working his way up the lines improving his numbers every season. Fans took immediate notice of Dimitri as he continued to impress them season after season. He became a household name for the Mooseheads and a fan favourite with his precision of the shots he took. He spent his entire Junior career with the team and taking them deep in the playoffs a couple times but they could never quite capture the President's Cup or the Memorial Cup.

University - Dalhousie Tigers

Dal.jpg.ede101abb43daa4c8def84efdf45e5a4.jpgAfter being passed by at NHL draft a couple times despite putting up solid numbers he wasn't ready to hang up the skates yet. He decided to continue his hockey career at the university level and was accepted at Dalhousie University studying Engineering. Dimitri tried out for the Men's hockey team and was immediately put on first line for the team. After having a successful first season with the Tigers he took his team deep in the playoffs going all the way to the finals and being beaten out the UNB Varsity Reds.

Where he is today

After being approached by a couple different teams in the VHLM, Dimitri signed a contract with the Ottawa Lynx to help them make a playoff run. After signing the contract his days in university may be over as he continues to further his hockey career and making it one step closer to the Pros. Currently Dimitri has yet to play a game for Ottawa but he looks forward to working his way up the lineup and making an impact on the team through his presence on the ice and scoring touch. A Russian news source caught up with Dimitri and asked him a few questions, here's what they had to say.

Looking back what is your favourite hockey memory so far?

"Я думаю, что до сих пор я должен был сказать, что я могу тренироваться с моим отцом столько, сколько я делал до его отъезда, или время, когда я встретился с Павлом Дацюком в Москве в хоккейном лагере."

("I think so far I'd have to say either being able to train with my dad for as long as I did before he passed or the time I got to meet Pavel Datsyuk in Moscow at a hockey camp.")

What kind of impact do you expect to make on the team immediately?

Я надеюсь, что смогу быстро установить присутствие в лиге с моей физической формой и моими способностями забивать. Я хочу, чтобы игроки знали имя Дмитрия Волосенкова.

("I hope to be able to quickly establish a presence in the league with my physicality along with my scoring ability. I want players to know the name Dimitri Volosenkov.")

It's looking almost certain that you'll be facing Halifax in the first round of the playoffs. Do you feel your team has what it takes to move past them?

В хоккее может случиться все, и я вхожу в комнату, которая недавно имела успех. Нам придется подождать и посмотреть, что произойдет, но если мы сыграем в нашу игру в наших силах, я думаю, что мы могли бы взять их. Мы просто должны усердно работать в поворотах и получать шайбы в сети.

("Anything can happen in hockey and I'm coming into a room that has seen success recently. We'll have to wait and see what happens but if we play our game to our strengths I think we could take them. We just have to work hard in the corners and get pucks on net.")

This biography was pretty well made. I love the authenticity of the interview at the end, really gives some life to the player. And many of the storylines presented could be factually correct as if they actually happened. I.e Volosenkov's draft position with the Mooseheads and so on. Very well written article. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Dimitri Volosenkov Biography (Top Two-Way forward of all time?) [1/2]