Dave John O'Quinn Biography [2/2]

David O'Quinn

This is the biography of Dave O'Quinn.

Early Life

Born in Cape Breton, Canada, Dave was greeted by 7 younger siblings throughout his life, living in a small household with a hard-working father, who was rough around the edges, aswell as a loving mother. Surprisingly late in his young life, David only started playing the great sport of hockey at the age of 13. He had a natural aptitude for it, and by the time he had reached high school, he was instantly the star of the Northside Junior Vics. Alongside hockey, David graduated from Highschool with honors under his hard-working spirit. His life took a great turn around this age, as he met the love of his life, and only a year later, they had their first child, with one more to follow five years later.

Stardom 

As David went through life into his late 20's, he kept his three loves: His Children, his Wife, and his Sport. He hadn't stopped playing hockey since he started, having won the 'Top Defenseman in Cape Breton' award along the way.... and he was only getting started. At the age of 25, he enrolled in the University College of Cape Breton, to further his education, and additionally joined the Universities team, which simply went by 'UCCB'. As he had been all his life, he was a star as soon as he joined the team, gaining the respect of his teammates, and hate of his rivals. At the same time, his children were getting older, and it was more important than ever for him to be a father. This is why, at the age of 29 after winning the National College championship with UCCB, and the award for the Top Canadian College Athlete of the year, he denied himself an incredible opportunity, after having been invited to try out for team Canada, to stay home and be a father, and temporarily stop playing hockey. 

Recently

As Dave has gone through his early 30's, he's focused on being a father. Having become the manager of his hometowns local rink, the coach of a local youth team for a year, he had been supporting his family the best he could. 

But the sacrifice of hockey had its toll on Dave, and he grew restless. He denied the opportunity of a lifetime, and had come to regret it. Finally, when he turned 33, the Hockey Gods gave him another chance. He was given the opportunity to declare himself for the VH leagues, the VHL and VHLM, to make more money for his family than he ever could at home. His kids were older, his wife could retire to focus on the kids, and he could go back to the sport he loved. He took the opportunity, after many weeks of deliberation, with the support of his family, he declared. 

The Player

Although he's not the fastest skater, he's big, smart, and extremely skilled. David has always been a leader, and he's always had a natural talent for the game, scoring goals and getting assists like nothing, but never shying away from playing defense and throwing a big hit. To say briefly, he was a leader and team player above all else. 

Achievements

Individual

Canadian College Athlete of the year

Top Cape Breton Defenseman of the Year

A Great Father

Team

2x Canadian College Champions

1x Cape Breton Junior A Champion

I really enjoyed reading this article. You really developed the character of Dave as a guy who is just happy to be playing and can be like a father figure to others. Reminds me of Patrick Marleau. This is one of the most heartwarmingly pleasant biographies I've read in my time on the site.

As someone who is from Nova Scotia and personally been to Cape Breton, I naturally felt attached to this player. The character does a good job building up his relationship with his kids and making a difficult sacrifice to be a good father to his children. I liked the awards you added in, it made Dave feel a little more realistic and added a nice touch to finish off a well written bio.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Dave John O'Quinn Biography [2/2]