Morozov on VHLM Expansion

Dangles13

Valeri Morozov, the young Russian power-forward from Russia is currently playing for the Saskatoon Wild but after the playoffs end, he will enter the dispersal draft for the VHLM draft. Entering any draft is exciting but this draft has an extra element of excitement as there will be two new teams in the league. The Philadelphia Reapers and Houston Bulls will join the VHLM and try to carve themselves a role in the league. Morozov is very new to the league but so far he has enjoyed his time with the Wild, yet, there is a slim chance that he returns. With 8 teams vying for players, it will be difficult for Saskatoon to nab all of their post-trade deadline free agent signings. While Morozov would be happy to re-join the Wild if the draft shakes out that way, he would be quite pleased to be selected by an expansion team. 

NICHUGOAL.gif

Morozov showing off his shot

Being from Russia, Valeri has no chance to join a team from his homeland, even Oslo will be moving to Minnesota at the conclusion of the season. Morozov would prefer to play in a location that can offer similar climate to his home city of Yekaterinburg, teams like Minnesota, Ottawa, Saskatoon and Yukon. While the weather is not the most important thing but it can help with the young Russian's transition into North American hockey. Valeri will need time to learn how to play in the smaller rinks and while his English is passable, he could stand to learn some of the idioms used in North America.

210px-Yekaterinburg_cathedral_on_the_blo

Church of All Saints, Yekaterinburg

Morozov was asked about which of the expansion teams he would prefer to play for and gave the following answer: "I like to play anywhere, I have no preference. I am thankful to play hockey and I don't feel that I have the power to dictate where I am drafted. I am unknown to most at this point and it will be some time before I show the league what I can do." The young man gave a pretty textbook answer and whether that is due to the language barrier or just a mature young man we had hoped for more flavour; we will push for more next time.

The hulking portside winger also gave his thoughts on the teams: "I really like reapers and Philadelphia is a very storied city that I would be proud to play for. I do not care for the colours as they are bland to me but I think they have the ability to put together a nice branding. The Houston Bulls are the opposite, they have very vibrant colours that speak to me. Red and yellow are my favourite colours and the combo of them can really turn into beautiful jerseys. I think Houston would be too warm for me but I still would be proud to lace up my skates for the Bulls. Both beautiful teams that will make the league a better place in the long term, very excited for the future". Will the comments about Philadelphia's branding show up as a red flag on their scouting board? Guess we will find out.

Words: 519