VSN - VHLM: Scoped - Playoff Edition

Nykonax

:vhlmlogo:VHLM: Scoped :vhlmlogo:

Jan 24 - Feb 3rd

Games 154 - 216

Nyko's Message

So since not enough people read my last scoped. @DilIsPickle whipped me and it hurt bad. So to save my back, please read this. Thanks. Anyways the regular season has now concluded, and its playoff time for everyone (except Yukon). This time I'm going to be adding a special category highlighting the playoff matches, and my predictions for the series. Also trade center is gone for this time, cause ya know, trade deadline and all.

Milestones 

Milestones are recognized throughout sports, when a rookie scores his first goal he keeps the puck. Players are celebrated when they hit 100 goals, 1,000 games, 50 shutouts. Just like nhl.com's milestone watch, I'm going to be do something similar, where I take the players and show how close they are to hitting a special VHLM milestone. Also RIP to most of the people who are just short of a milestone, because if they graduate they'll never be able to hit it :(

1. @DilIsPickle 4 off from 150

2.  @kayfabe just hit 100

3. @Thranduil just hit 150

Goals:

1. @wcats 1 off from 50

2. @DilIsPickle 3 off from 75

3. @Eparker24 5 off from 50

Assists:

1. @Philliefan 6 off from 100

2. @Matt_O 8 off from 100

3. @Thranduil 9 off from 100

Wins/Shutouts

1. @DrHexDex 2 shutouts from 10

2. @Bonzaijoe 3 shutouts from 10

3. @Devise just hit 50 wins

Games of the Week

The VHLM is full of many interesting, exciting, and just plain out weird games. Some games are blowouts, some are high scoring, and some games are very tight. This part of the segment will highlight the 3 games which I think were the best games during the whole week.

Game 170 - YUK vs HFX

*Checks scores* "Oh this game has Yukon in it, definitley a blowout"... it was. To open the first Bolt Vanderhuge scored 2 minutes in on the powerplay. Then Diljodh followed with another goal on the powerplay to put Halifax up 2-0. MacKinnon and Edvin both scored after to end the first with Halifax up 4-0. The 2nd period would tell a similar story. Glover sends one past Pekka Pouta and Vanderhuge finds another on the powerplay. Fish scores the 3rd goal of the period, and again on the powerplay Vanderhuge pots one, giving the defenseman a hatrick in this one. In the 3rd Yukon is finally able to light the lamp with Foxxe finally being able to beat Smith. Yukon starts to mount the comeback as Thomas and Van Roosen also score 2 more. But Fish puts an end to that on Halifax's lethal powerplay as he scores the game winner and his 2nd of the night.

Game 169 (nice) - LVA vs OSL

Vegas are the top team in the league right now, everything has clicked for them and it shows in their complete offensive dominance, but Oslo had the counter to this gameplay style. James Lombardi opened the scoring on the powerplay, but Connor McDavid answered and the game is 1-1 going into the 2nd. This time Vegas scores first in the period, as Eric Parker pots one, Oslo's Michael McConway scores his first of the season to tie it up at 2-2. Period 3 is silent as both teams can't find a hole in the other goaltender and the overtime is the same. This one goes to a shootout. Everyone misses the net, except for Sven Hitz, who scores the only goal of the shootout, and thus the winner.

Game 176 - SSK vs OSL

This game was a close one between the 4th and 5th seed of the standings, and may be close to the actual playoff series. This game focused on the defensive aspect of hockey, and clearly not the offensive, with only one goal scored.... or maybe the goalies wanted to pad their own stats, and not the skaters. In the first no one scored, but Oslo outplayed Sask, outshooting them 7-2. The second period was the same, but this time Saskatoon doubled their shot total to 4 in that period. The 3rd is where the only goal of the game came from, where Finn Schaefer put one past Sohva on the powerplay, and brought Saskatoon to the win, despite being outshot 12 to 19

Players of the Week

1. Joe Nixon @Bonzaijoe

Joe Nixon has posted 3 shutouts this week, and has held many of the top teams to under 3 goals this week to help secure Vegas' position in the standings at first place. He's backstopped Vegas to many wins and his been a major reason to their success this season

2. Bolt Vanderhuge @kayfabe

Bolt Vanderhuge has led Halifax to some much needed wins. He grabbed a hatrick in game 170 vs. Yukon and has anchored Halifax's very succesful powerplay. He tied Eric Parker with 102 points this season, but was able to score 4 more goals, which puts him in the top 10 for goal scoring in the league.

3. Nathan N @NathanN

Nathan N was able to secure his position as the league's top scorer this week, beating out Halifax's Diljodh Starload by 1 point. He's posted a total of 113 points and 49 goals and has been a standout piece in Vegas' forward core.

Playoffs

Wildcard

The VHLM playoffs are about to be in full swing, starting with the best of three wildcard that will see Saskatoon and Oslo playing first. This series will be a tight one, both teams don't have much offensive firepower and this one will be a lower scoring affair. Personally I think Oslo will take game one, but Saskatoon will take the other two and advance to play against Vegas.

Semi Finals

The two semi final matchups will see Halifax and Ottawa play, and then Vegas vs. Saskatoon (if they do win). Starting with the Halifax vs. Ottawa series this will be a fast-paced, high scoring one. Both teams have averaged a lot of goals each game, and have a high flying offense. Personally I think Ottawa is the stronger team, after acquiring Puigdemont and Jones from Oslo, but Halifax also acquired the 2nd highest scorer in the league, Diljodh. I think Ottawa will take this series in 6.

Saskatoon vs. Vegas is the other semi's, where the best team in the league will face the 5th seed. Unlike Ottawa's lucky miracle win vs. Yukon, this one will be different. Vegas should demolish Saskatoon with multiple blowouts, Sask might sneak a win in, but I think Vegas will win, but who knows. STHS is weird.

Finals

My Predicted finals are the Ottawa Lynx vs. the Las Vegas Aces. A rivalry that started at the beginning of the season will finalize in this series, with the winner being proved the best. Ottawa will have made the finals 3 seasons in a row at this point and will be looking to win their 2nd in those 3. Both teams are very offensive, and have some of the best players in the league. Ottawa has great depth though, whereas Vegas has some of the highest scoring players like Nathan N and defenseman Eric Parker. I think Ottawa has a slight advantage because of their depth compared to Vegas. Overall I have Ottawa in 7.

Power Rankings

Last Week

1. Las Vegas Aces

2. Ottawa Lynx 

3. Halifax 21st

4. Saskatoon Wild

5. Oslo Storm

6. Yukon Rush

This Week

1. Ottawa

2. Las Vegas Aces

3. Halifax 21st

4. Saskatoon Wild

5. Oslo Storm

6. Yukon Rush

Standings

1. Las Vegas Aces

2. Halifax 21st

3. Ottawa Lynx

4. Oslo Storm

5. Saskatoon Wild 

6. Yukon Rush 

1291 words but dont have to claim cause i got that phat VSN pay.

Edited by Nykonax