Sonnet

VHLM Newsletter- 23rd Edition

Welcome back to another edition of the VHLM Newsletter!

Hello, VHLMers, and welcome to this week's light version of the VHLM Newsletter. We're still in the middle of the VHLM playoffs (at the time of writing, only the first two games have been played), so there isn't much in the way of major news this week. Hopefully, by the end of the week, we'll have the draft to recap and some brand new rosters to introduce! To pass the time, however, I'm going to try a little something different with the newsletter. Usually, I include a short little league recap with every weekly edition of the newsletter. To me, it feels a little bit redundant- I'm sure you guys know exactly what's going on in the grand scope of the league, and don't need me to provide a cute little recap to stay on top of things.

Instead, I'm going to be featuring one player every week who I think deserves a little bit of the spotlight. I'll point out how they're earning, how they're playing, and where I think they'll end up in the future. The point of this section isn't going to be to highlight the VHLM's most prominent stars- chances are, you don't really need more information on those guys. Instead, I'm going to pick one of the lesser talked about members of teams that I feel are contributing, or are giving it their all in order to put their team in the best position possible.

I'm also thinking about more things I can do to spice up the newsletter- more sections to add in order to more prominently feature YOU! Maybe a section dedicated to some of my favorite VHLM articles and graphics for the week? A Q&A section where members can submit a question about anything VHLM related, and get it answered each week? If you've got something in mind, I'd love to hear about it as a response to this post. For now, though, let's see how this new section works in this 23rd edition of the VHLM Newsletter!

As always, I'll start out by mentioning our Discord server, which you can join by clicking this link here! This is the best place to go to chat with other members of the league and get help with anything you might need around the site.

For returning readers, I'll mark anything that changed with a shiny *NEW* if you're just looking for updates.

1) Uncapped TPE Opportunities- Any time an opportunity for some TPE arises, we'll make note of it here. Everything in this section can be claimed apart from your weekly 12 capped TPE, so if you're looking to push your player to greater heights, this section will be of high interest to you.

2) Player Spotlight *NEW*- Each week, we'll take a look at the shape of the VHLM and talk about some of the outstanding news and performances from around the league.

3) TPE Earning Guide- If you're new to the site, this will really help you get into the swing of things. We have a detailed guide on how earning and claiming TPE works, which will be provided toward the bottom of the newsletter every week.

4) Trivia Help- To help you guys learn how to navigate the site, the very bottom of the newsletter will contain some hints on where to find answers for each week's trivia questions! This can be turned in every week for 2 capped TPE, and will also be worth some extra uncapped TPE in the offseason!

1) Uncapped TPE Opportunities *NEW*

VHLM Achievement Tracker *NEW*

For anyone in the season 65 draft class and below (that is, with a S65 next to your name in the portal), you're eligible for some free TPE based on your player's performance this season! All you have to do is go to this thread and post your name, position, and the two stats you'd like to claim as your sources of TPE. Make sure you read the thread carefully for instructions, because every stat has a different number to TPE ratio. For example, if your player scored 60 points last season, you can choose that stat and earn 60/10 TPE, which comes out to be 6 TPE. You can only pick two stats to redeem for TPE, so make sure you pick the ones that will grant you the most (unless you're a goalie, in which case you just need to state that you're a goalie)! Also note that if you don't make a post now, you won't be eligible for Achievement Tracker TPE at all! Every player will get a minimum of 10 TPE, so there's no reason to pass it up if you have the chance to post!

For a more full, in-depth explanation of the Achievement Tracker, read the post here.

Weekly Reddit Threads 

For the time being, we aren't offering 1 uncapped TPE for Reddit thread upvotes. Our recruiting has actually gone much better than we initially thought, and as a result, the minors are currently bloated with more players than we can handle! This TPE opportunity will open back up next season, when we have more spots open for new players.

Practice Facility

Every week, players in the VHLM are granted 2 free TPE every week for simply posting in the practice facility thread. If you haven't already, go post your player name and "+2" here.

The VHL Fantasy Zone

Every week, players are given the chance to guess the results of upcoming VHL games. This comes in two different forms- the weekly Pick 'Em's (which are worth 2 uncapped TPE for getting all of them correct), and the weekly Score Prediction (which is worth 3 uncapped TPE for getting correct). Even if you don't get it right, it's worth a shot to take a look at the games and give it your best guess! If you want, you can even cheat and copy the guesses of a member that's already posted. These will be posted in this subforum every week.

The VHLM Fantasy Zone

The VHL Fantasy Zone's younger brother allows you to earn even more uncapped TPE for guessing the correct winners and scores. However, these predictions are only available to players within the VHLM, so make use of them while you can! The VHLM Fantasy Zone differs in its TPE rewards, in that the weekly Pick 'Em's are only worth 2 uncapped TPE, but guessing the correct score is worth 4! These will be posted in this subforum every week.

The VHL Lottery

Every week, you can vote on a poll to submit an entry for a weekly VHL lottery drawing. Simply vote on the poll in the thread and you're entered to win both a weekly prize of 3 uncapped TPE, as well as a variety of monthly prizes! You can cast your vote at the link provided here for this week's lottery. Note: this week's lottery has not been posted yet, but will be in this thread when it goes up!

The First Generation Bonus

As a thank you to the newer members for sticking around and participating in the league, we're offering 10 free uncapped TPE for your first player, once they cross the 100 TPE milestone! If you've passed that mark, or are about to pass that mark, make a post in this thread and use it to submit an update. To make the job of the updaters easier, please select "Other" when applying the update and fill out the box as seen below:

o05SkK9.png&key=69fd7efd2607479b569a7a86b9fbbb1d772a78dcbcd4af27d36deb8b4aae6241

2) Player Spotlight *NEW*

:ssk:  Raphael Nazarians, Center @LIL V O D AK

The first player I'd like to highlight is someone that I think flew under the radar of many, LIL V O D AK's Raphael Nazarians. As Saskatoon's AGM, I had the opportunity to bring this guy to the Wild, and help him find his footing within the VHLM. Immediately, he stuck to the concept and wasn't afraid in the slightest to ask questions or get his hands dirty with some of the career PTs (like the Rookie Profile or Biography). In his first week, he amassed 37 TPE on top of his starting 30, ending up at 67 in total.

Vodak is an SBA guy, so he came over to the VHL and got to take advantage of some free affiliate TPE. In addition to that, he gets the opportunity to claim PT welfare for his submissions in the SBA. If he submits a few of the easier capped tasks each week, I think he can turn into a good, consistent earner in the VHLM and transition that success into a VHL career. Spots are open pretty much everywhere for guys like this, so he'll fit in with any roster that's looking to nab a scoring center.

Speaking of, I should take a moment to highlight his build. It looks like he led by bumping scoring to 70, and complimenting it by bringing skating to 60. A few extra points are scattered into passing, checking, and puck handling to give him some added versatility, but it looks like he's aiming for one of the classic goal scoring builds. So far it hasn't seemed to work out, as Nazarians has put up 1 goal in his 9 games as a member of the Saskatoon Wild, but the fact that he played in Saskatoon certainly doesn't help the situation. They were more of a defensive team last year, relying on goaltender Justin Cole to stop a flurry of shots in order to win games 2-1, or 1-0. their top 6 wasn't particularly stacked, especially when compared to teams like Las Vegas and Halifax, so his lack of production this early on shouldn't be looked at as a concern. If he continues to earn and finds himself on a more balanced team in this upcoming Dispersal Draft, I think he can turn into an important depth asset that teams will be hungry for as they attempt to make a run at the Founder's Cup.

In conclusion, I think Vodak has what it takes to be an important piece for any roster, both VHLM and VHL. He has experience with other sim leagues, he jumped on the TPE earning bandwagon incredibly early on, and he's running a build that could make him an intimidating scoring threat from the middle of the ice. Give him a decent passer and I think you've got a solid centerman that can help turn a good team into a great one.

3) TPE Earning Guide

Each week, you can earn up to 12 capped TPE for submitting Point Tasks, or PTs. The following guide should help you learn what to do in terms of creating, submitting, and claiming a PT! Personally, this is my favorite part of the newsletter, because it's the same copy+paste every week ;)

I've included everything in a spoiler box here to reduce some of the clutter, so if this part of the newsletter is relevant to you, jut open the spoiler below!

Spoiler

Recruitment 

Recruiting new members to the league not only helps the league by filling out team’s rosters, but it also sets you up to earn some lucrative TPE! To find out more about the rewards for recruiting members, go HERE. On top of that, there is a 1 uncapped TPE reward for upvoting a Reddit thread that can be earned every week.

Weekly Capped Point Task Opportunities (You Can Earn Up To 12 TPE From The Following)

-          You can submit either a Media article of 500 wordsa Graphic or a ten minute Podcast for 6 TPE. If you don’t have time to submit for any of these this week though, there is Welfare available to claim for at least 4 TPE.

-          You can submit either a 150 word article/Player Card for 2 TPE or you can submit a five minute Podcast for 3 TPE.

-          You can get a maximum of 2 TPE by answering and asking questions in the Press Conferences. If you are short of answers, you can answer questions in the VHLM Press Conference for 2 TPE.

-          You can receive a maximum of 2 TPE by reviewing other people’s Media/Graphics/Podcasts. Check out the guide to reviewing HERE.

-          It's not up yet this week, but once the season gets going, there will be weekly VHL Trivia where you will be asked two VHL-related questions, answer both correctly and you will earn 2 TPE for the week. In addition, players will be able to earn up to 6 uncapped TPE at the end of the season, 1 TPE for every week they submitted for trivia. 

Uncapped Point Task Opportunities

-          There is 2 TPE to be earned from posting in this week’s Practice Facility

-          There is the VHLM Pickem and Predict the Score (in the VHLM Fantasy Zone) if you correctly guess the results, you will earn uncapped TPE for your player! You'll be able to participate in the VHL Fantasy Zone as well.

-           The lottery allows you to enter the poll that gives you a chance of winning 3 uncapped TPE this week and enters you into a monthly draw for even bigger prizes!

-          You can submit a 500 word Rookie Profile for 8 TPE and a 1000 word Biography for 10 TPE. These two are one time only point tasks.

-          If you haven't already, make sure to spend some of your contract/sponsorship money on the First Generation Package in the Player Store. It's an exceptionally cheap purchase that gives you five uncapped TPE.

Video Tutorial

This is a video tutorial of how to improve your player through point tasks that I made about two months ago. The idea was that we were going to have this edited to a better standard before the Season 64 Draft, but that hasn't come to pass yet, so I'll just release the raw footage for now. If you need timestamps for something in particular, here they are:

Capped TPE

0:27 - Overview of Capped TPE
1:38 - Media Spots
2:39 - Graphics
4:16 - Podcast
5:09 - VHL.com/Player Cards/VHL Radio
7:06 - Press Conferences
9:00 - Trivia
11:59 - Reviewing
13:22 - Jobs
14:13 - Welfare

Uncapped TPE
16:14 - VHL/VHLM Fantasy Zone
17:08 - Practice Facility
17:44 - Yearly Award Predictions
18:35 - VHFL
19:33 - VHL Lottery
20:35 - Rookie Profile
21:21 - Biography
22:30 - Donations (Now out of date)

Adding TPE to your Player
24:00 - Updating

4) Trivia Help *NEW*

New week, new trivia questions, as per usual. This will be the last trivia week of the 64th season, so make sure you get your answers in for that sweet, sweet offseason uncapped TPE! You can find the questions and Google form here.

1) Who was the first builder inducted into the Hall of Fame?

If it's a hall of fame question of any kind, you know we're going to make use of our old friend the VHL Portal. The answer to this question, of course, will be the earliest inducted name on the list, which looks to be from season 19.

2) Which player holds the record for the most points in a single postseason?

I'm going to do you a massive solid with this one. If a spreadsheet for this exists, my trivia group couldn't find it, but we DO have a snippet of information in this article that gives away the answer. It's subtle, but Ctl+f'ing the phrase "still unbeaten record" will reveal the answer.

Done and done. We tried a little something new this time by featuring a player instead of a boring recap of the VHLM. Who even enjoys reading a recap, anyway? If you liked this section better than the old one, let me know in a reply to this thread. If you have any other ideas on how we can spice up the newsletter, feel free to let me know as well. Until then, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or @McWolf directly!

Spoiler

@Fire Hakstol @Tim @TacticalHammer @Eudaldkp @eaglesfan036 @Arch Stanton @Jad @jastep @Canadian_allstar @Viperxhawks19 @dgibs @Trifecta @speck1447 @Ryan Faid @Universe @Heckefar @nathan855mckay @Blades500 @Nizzx @lepavaa @Troix @Vijay Patel @Dallaszeek @Canucks23 @tjmckenna22 @Ckbruinfan @FBR @sboopy @Hawzy @Bated @Chesterfield @Skull @Maladus42 @Ninenine222 @Paul Wilkinson @kegoo11 @Chuck @Fevan @huntax0 @Gimmix @Gablae @Bonzaijoe @IgorPetrovic @murdockdm @Palmtoptiger @Foyboydahgoat @Brolaski @Halfchubfightclub @Harold McTaggart @Everlast73 @Bucky___lastard @btrav @Felixf21 @Jimmy October @Thomas Wilson @Gabella19 @MaceDouglas @mattymoo271 @Abdul Razzaq @Slappy1039 @SkeddaniusJunior @xsjack @Kuch9 @largenarbo @Szimanski @jrdwdmn @nawkturnal @Luke Allman @Erebrew @Chase Klein @NIKEJWN @Antone10 @Infernal @Dvich86 @HasekFan94 @oldmanfreeman @Sidhu @Prabh Ria @Jeffrey Wickersty @Bear @handfullofbubba @Snussu @Anthony Matthews @Consider_Me_OP @Hippie28 @BluObieZ @WhiteMocha @Bully22 @luke5299 @Woodsworth @smammy2ck @Kazuzu @Tak @Chicken Little @Scrogs @Dominic Brassard @OneBuffalo1230 @bucktown @hum0r_ha @nick_716 @tunedtorock @THS @Bushito @Sharkstrong @Gared123456 @jDubzzz @starboi @mu19mc2 @Sixersfan549 @Stray Games @rskinner2228 @Galdoblame @lfdorais @Sogarn @Goonie @Pekka Rinne @Jakob Kelob @Papa Bless' Memes @kotkaniemiisbae @Bagels @Mise @Penner9415 @DrunnkPANDAA @Mat Reimer @ziggyziobob @jacobaa19 @Dingle @sean @Marcel @MrCringleberries @Benson @Lightningyamasha @Panther10 @Pipe663 @cynftwproductions @The-OG-Of-Rivia @Peacock @ManualSamual @Cmk_ @Bandit @Scead Simmons @Kyler Kuzar @wuma @SpartanGibbles @Snowflyer @GlowyGoat @Mrhockey26 @Connor mcdavid @Mirgri @Bonaventure @Gav56789 @tyler brown @Wheaties @Beaviss @paulo1323 @TheLastOlympian07 @SirRupertBarnes @GRZ @hejta @MD9 @nethi99 @CANADIANTIRE @FearlessPlayer @Scott Stelling @solas @Walter Gustafsson @GRZ @Plate @matthewtols @OMEGA @hockeyis66 @Dangles13 @Spade18 @SlashACM @Tolsy @Barracuda @bluesfan55 @cpetrella @JohnOQuinn @VisualDarkness @jimbomaybe @krazeedevil420 @LIL V O D AK @Gaudette @tiash11 @luke5299 @Colezy @Hunter.Pack @wagnak @Gamerhockeyboss tv @timboelli @SingingHades @Keller X I9I @Steffe_29 @Poop @Kirby @bob33334q23 @mastarious667 @The bender @herlo045 @Grape @Chase Holt @Camel @WeaponX @Inf1d3l @Koen Senft @HOCKEYBEAST9000 @JacksonMcCarter @MexicanCow123 @NicoSavage77 @SgtLongbutt15