Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 15) [1/2]

Advantage

Quebec Receives:

S47 NYA 1st Round Pick (Sam Weaver)

S47 NYA 2nd Round Pick (Passed)

New York Receives:

Bruno Wolf

Tyson Stokes

My plan at this stage of the season was to make this one my last and retire as the New York Americans General Manager after the playoffs.  Therefore, I wanted to put the team in a situation to try and win without sacrificing the future of the team.  I saw a good chance to make a couple of moves with what looked like two very weak drafts when it comes to depth in both Season 47 and 48.  I figured if New York was able to put themselves in a good enough position that they would be picking anywhere from 8th to 10th, that the pick would be mediocre in all likelihood. 

Sure enough, Sam Weaver really never became much of anything becoming a career VHLM player, while the second round pick was literally not used as there were not enough draftees to fill out the second round of the Season 47 Draft.  Meanwhile, Bruno Wolf was acquired to play a major role on New York as one of their stars and while the Americans underachieved and were unable to win a Continental Cup, I would certainly see it as a win with nothing of true value being exchanged for him.  Stokes, on the other hand, carved out a really solid career but was traded in the very next trade I would make to acquire some valuable pieces.

To New York:

D - Thaddeus Humbert

C - Gifford Shock

To Cologne:

C - Tyson Stokes (S39)

S48 NYA 1st Round Pick (Cian Mercer)

S48 NYA 2nd Round Pick (Sid Crosby)

Listen, I really had no intention on trading Tyson Stokes, but given his age I felt this was a great opportunity to really improve New York.  He was a good second liner that could help carry a second unit but so was Gifford Shock, who was also a bit younger than Tyson.  The two picks that were apart of this trade to me were pretty minor, and despite some in the trade thread thinking it was too much to pay, I felt that they would be very low picks and sure enough, they would wind up being nothing special.  Crosby never made it to the VHL and Mercer recorded just 2 points over a 25 game VHL career.  Safe to say, that neither of those players were valuable.

I saw an opportunity to get younger and acquire a friend who had a young, talented defender who maybe wasn’t as active as some of his past players.  Yet I knew I would have no issues keeping him on the team and helping him keep on track so that Thaddeus would have a solid career.  Humbert would play 575 career VHL games and recorded 376 points and was a +182 over that time, splitting time as a defenseman and a forward.  Meanwhile, Gifford Shock would go on to a solid career as an anchor on the second line, though he was not in New York for more than a season.

To me, this was obviously a huge win.  When you look at it, Shock was an upgraded version of Stokes while Humbert easily was more valuable than the picks that were moved.

• 4 weeks later...

Review: I really enjoyed this insight on these two trades and liked hearing your opinion on them. The Humbert addition was huge as he was a very talented D and went on to have a very successful career. I feel this article had great presentation & flowed very smoothly, nice work! 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 15) [1/2]