Skipping training camp [1/2]

jRuutu

bahamas-go-now-opener-BAHAMANOW0517.jpg?

I have been in this league for three seasons now, I have to say that the journey to this point has not been easy. At times the pace of this league has been too much and when you play a lot, it´s not easy to keep up with things, get tired and almost burned out, but I´m here still and still going on. I´m stronger as a human being, but also stronger as a player now than three seasons ago.

I would like to say I have worked really hard to improve myself as a player and that is the reason why you see a totally different player now, but that would be a lie. I´m one of those guys who is able to put minimum effort in and still be good at something, so when you look at my shot for example - it´s pretty good now, why? I just decided one day to start shooting into the net instead of always going for the pass. The interesting part of it all is that my shoot is good, but I never really used it. When I was growing up I felt it was unfair that one player has all these skills, so I decided to focus just on being a playmaker, so others get a chance to score.

I guess that mentality kinda stayed with me all the way here, been free from that for four or so months. Excited to see how the upcoming season goes, I have a feeling it will be the best in my career so far, but before get to action again, we got training camp here in Vancouver. It´s always nice to see everybody and hear what they have been doing with their time during the off-season and of course cool to get on the ice and actually play hockey again, but I have still decided to skip the training camp this year.

camp_092418-099dcb0168.jpg

The reason behind that is not injury or anything like that, last year I noticed that I was really tired when the regular season started, I wondered what could have been the reason, at the time I thought it could be flu or something, but I think I finally figured it out. Our general manager Beaviss and the coaching staff work the players really hard, we skate in the morning, we skate in the noon and then we skate in the evening, skate all day. Then we have who knows how many different drills that focus on shooting, puck handling, and passing, things get exhausting really fast, especially if you are elite in almost everything, like teaching Da Vinci to code.

This year when everybody else is sweating in the training camp, I will fly over to the Bahamas and just chill. Why? Because I feel like it.  I have not yet told to management and coaches about my plan, but when we are supposed to get together in two days, I will send a picture from the beach and tell them that I´ll be there in few weeks.