Name: Rusty Shackleford 

DOB: July 12, 1997 

Origin: Arlington, TX, USA 

Position: D 

Handedness: R 

Height: 6’5” (195 cm) 

Weight: 225 lbs. (102 kg) 

Preferred #: 27 

Rusty Shackleford was born in Arlington, Texas, the son of a professional rodeo cowboy. Rusty engaged in many typical southern activities growing up, the typical baseball and football, but took an interest in roller and ice hockey especially. For most of Rusty’s youth, he wanted to follow in his dad’s footsteps, and be a rodeo star, but fell in love with hockey when he picked up a stick for the first time. For most of his youth, his loving stay at home mom would drive him to his ice and roller hockey games in her trusty Chevy Trailblazer. He played linebacker and 2nd base in Arlington Middle and High School in football and baseball, and learned basic horse and bull riding. When he was a bit older, he picked up part time work in construction, not because it was financially necessary, but because his parents wanted him to experience and appreciate hard work, and how necessary it is to put effort into what he wanted in life.  

770_large.thumb.jpg.66c198e56cd1ff08b0e7eb8421d810c0.jpg

High School 

In Rusty’s Middle School and early High School days, he was a bit of a trouble maker, frequently acting out in class, and occasionally getting into fights. However, as he engaged in more contact sports and matured, Rusty’s energy was devoted to the physical side of his sports. As Rusty channeled his testosterone-fueled aggression into his athletic career, he came to like hockey more, and it became his main sport and focus in life. He also came to appreciate the party lifestyle, getting into various hijinks with his friends. One such adventure took place during his freshman year of high school, and involved stealing a rival high school’s mascot, the Belton High School Armadillo, Mr. Crackers. After sneaking into the high school and snatching Mr. Crackers, Rusty and his friends proudly paraded the kidnapped armadillo around the football stadium just prior to the varsity football game taking place between Arlington and Belton. Rusty and his crew sparked a near riot with this act, and ended up getting attacked and beaten by a large group of Belton high schoolers. Mr. Crackers was fortunately not harmed during this escapade.  Rusty enjoyed the party lifestyle, and quickly learned that big wins lead to big parties. His heavy hitting style of play made him a local favorite, and earned him the admiration of his coaches and teammates. Rusty’s motto that he tries to live by is “Play hard, and party harder,” but was able to learn how to balance fun and partying with the obligations and responsibility to his team. He is remembered by his teammates and colleagues as extremely kind, treating the towel managers with the same respect he showed for the best players and coaches.  

I couldn’t do my job without them. My gear would be way more gross, and I would be way too sweaty. They’re a major part of the team, and our success.” -Rusty Shackleford, when asked about Tony and the rest of the equipment managers. 

College 

After spending time in various junior leagues throughout the southern United States, Rusty received a scholarship offer from Arizona State University’s Division 1 NCAA hockey team, and gladly accepted a chance to demonstrate his abilities, and prove why he is one of the biggest rising stars in the hockey world. ASU’s reputation of raging parties and lively campus life were also major factors in convincing him to bring his talents to the desert. In his new home in Scottsdale, he could party it up a bit more than he could in high school, while staying relatively close to his new rink. While many high level athletes scoff at ASU’s hockey facilities, Rusty does not mind the quaint conditions of the rink and locker rooms.  

I think it gives us an edge. The whole team loves this rink, and it throws off a lot of our opponents when they come to play here.” -Rusty Shackleford on ASU’s hockey facilities.  

While many local restaurants and businesses offer Rusty discounts and freebies, he tries to pay full price as often as possible, because his finances are stable, and he would feel like he is taking advantage of people that need to make a living. He will, however, sometimes buy food and other nice things for his teammates, equipment managers, and other support staff that are not as well off.  

JWASU.jpg.53167e4bcede47f30d63b90cf6b23909.jpg

Rusty surprised some by choosing to major in business management, explaining that “I want to make sure that I take advantage of the great opportunity I have here, and have a stable future after my hockey career. While I’m not sure what I will want to do when that day comes, I think it is important to be prepared.”  

In his fourth game of the season in his Freshman year playing for ASU, Rusty was on the receiving end of a huge hit by Buck “Fridge” Kozinski, a mountain of a man playing for Colorado State University. The hit knocked Rusty’s helmet off, but he refused to give up on the play, hustling back to stop a rush, and ending up blocking a shot with his exposed face, knocking four teeth out.  

At first I was pretty freaked out when I was spitting out a lot of blood and saw teeth coming out too, but after it healed up it actually looked pretty cool, and kind of made me look tougher. My great grandfather was actually a prospector in the old southwestern U.S., and my mom showed me a picture of him smiling and showing off his missing teeth. We were laughing about how similar we looked!” -Rusty Shackleford, when interviewed about losing his teeth. 

jwalker.thumb.jpg.a653330b3d22bda7ce99fbc1ff724bf1.jpg

Personal Life 

Rusty enjoys eating steaks, corn, and pulled pork sandwiches. His drink of choice is usually an entire case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, but he has grown to like Bulleit Bourbon in his college tenure. He likes going to shooting ranges and horseback riding when he can, and tries to catch VHL games when he is not busy. After a successful college career, he is excited to begin his career in the VHLM with the Saskatoon Wild.  

Review - Great write up, very detailed and I like how you had the personal accounts or quotes sprinklend in there at every turn of your life, but on slightly odd topics, equipment managers, losing teeth, etc. This guy seems a lot like a guy I used to rent an apartment with back in college, substitute the Bulleit our for Kessler and I think we'd have a match. I bet that bull-riding background and hard work ethic has paid dividends for you time and time again on the ice. Good luck this upcoming season! Cheers!

Review:

Fantastic Biography. I like the picture each step of the way. I love that you used quotes to provide examples of what was being written in the story. This guys is hockey player through and through, broken teeth and all. One thing I was wishing for was more insight into why Rusty loved hockey as a kid. It was unexpected that someone from Texas with a father that was a rodeo star would choose hockey. I wish his reason for loving hockey and the effect that had on his father and peers was explored a little more. Excellent biography. You got me interested in following Rusty's career. Thank you for the story.

Review- Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I liked the way you laid out how Rusty truly is as a person. The fact he tips well and appreciates every member of the staff also shines a light on how good of a guy he is. Sounds like someone I’d want to grab a beer with. Great job! 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, Jake Levine said:

Review- Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I liked the way you laid out how Rusty truly is as a person. The fact he tips well and appreciates every member of the staff also shines a light on how good of a guy he is. Sounds like someone I’d want to grab a beer with. Great job! 

No article is allowed to have more than 2 reviews on it, so unfortunately, this doesn't count. RunnerBert and DMaximus have reviewed it already.