New Role on the Ice [1/2]

Dangles13

"Kid, get in here" a man seated in a swivel chair shouts from his dark office. Being the eager rookie I am, I rushed into the room with a big smile plastered on my face. "Sir?" I say aloud while wondering what I did wrong. I have been showing up to practices on time and I think I've been doing the drills well, maybe missing a few queues here and there. My mind, as usual, is doing it's best to submarine my confidence like some sort of super villain with a shitty accent. 

Coach leans back in his worn-out chair with a torn mesh back and looks me in the eye, "Morzy, I'd like to talk about what we expect from you this season and go over some of the things we need to see from you. You are one of our big bodies and as such, we need you to go to the dirty areas and get pucks for Helmer or whoever else you end up playing with. Any goals you chip in are welcome but we really want you to lean on guys and wear their D down."

a6v7ok05sf101.gif

I think to myself, "why did he call a meeting for this?" He could have easily just pulled me aside after practice this morning and told me this; again, my mind starts to think of interesting ways in which this could be bad news. "No problem, coach. I will play big and make life easy on our boys and hell for the other boys". I expect to be dismissed and I put my hands on the armrests of the chair to lift myself out of the chair when coach leans forward.

"Valeri, there is a reason I wanted to do this privately; I want you to protect Helmer and Matthews this season. Nobody and I mean nobody, gets to touch them without repercussions. If someone is bugging them then I want you to bury them until they stop coming. Try not to take any penalties or get suspended but do what you need to do to keep those two playing top notch hockey for us". With that said, the coach eased back into his chair and put out his hand, indicating that I was to leave.

LikelyEsteemedKoalabear-small.gif

I stood up and looked him in the eye and said, "I understand" and then turned and walked out of the office. I had to think about what this meant, I have never been a fighter but I've had my share of shoving matches as a big man. A Rolodex started spinning in my mind as I wondered who I could reach out to so I could learn to fight. I might have to join a boxing gym or something to learn how to defend myself, punching really hard won't be enough to get the job done. I guess I will have to try to check guys into next week until I get better. I pull out my phone and start googling gyms near my apartment and settle myself into my new role.

Review: You have a great story telling ability and it was well displayed in this article. The clips were a nice addition to the media spot and added some creativity. I can tell you put time & effort into this article. Great job, keep up the good work!