The Euros Bond [1/2]

bluesfan55

I woke up before our first game of the season in a cold sweat. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I was going to be a top 6 forward on a team with playoff hopes after coming over from Iceland and only impressing as a physical player in my 15+ games with the Ottawa Lynx last season. I looked around my hotel room in Houston. My roommate and close friend Sami Van Den Dreissche was sound asleep in his pajamas, which were adorned with Belgian flags. You see, Sami and I don’t come from conventional hockey countries. Sure, there was a Belgian drafted in the third round of the 2016 NHL Draft, but other than that, there’s never really been a really good Belgian player.  It’s the same for Iceland. Yes, there’s a VHL Hall of Famer from Iceland in Grimm Jonsson, but no other Icelander has really succeeded in North America. That’s why Sami and I are so close. We want to prove that our prospective countries aren’t just flashes in the pan. To prove that Iceland and Belgium could really have staying power as hockey countries. We’re very different players. I’m a power forward, who’s strong, a good checker, and a solid scorer. Sami is also a scorer, but he’s more of a finesse player, who can skate and puck handle well. He’s got a mean streak though. Val Morozov was chirping him during practice the other day, and the next time he had the puck, Sami absolutely flattened him out. He’s one of the most underrated checkers I’ve ever seen. 

Sami and I got dressed and went out to practice in the small rink next to our hotel. It was just us there. I’d seen some news recently that Minnesota had signed an Icelandic goalie. It was nice to see, and on the way there, I was talking to Sami about how it really seemed that the Icelandic hockey scene was gaining attention. He listened, but looked sad. I asked him why. “Well, I’m the first Belgian to make the VHLM at all. A center named Kieran declared two seasons ago but never made a team. It’s just me at the moment.” We entered the rink and began working on our shots. There was a lot of vulgar chirping involved that I’m not gonna mention (not getting a suspension). Sami and I were ready. We walked back, giggling like little kids, and played VHL 66 (of course we played as Yukon) until it was game time. We got in our tuxes and walked to the Bulls’ arena in central Houston. 

It’s safe to say that both of us played nervous. Even though we won 6-5 against a really solid Bulls team, we struggled. I committed two minor penalties (including one 16 seconds into the game for goalie interference) and only registered one hit. Sami put up a big fat goose egg on the scoresheet besides being a +1. Sami and I both knew it would be a tough season, and we’re prepared for the season. We know no matter what we do, we’ll be together, whether as roommates or teammates. It’s time for us to put our names out there as top prospects for the draft.

@TsarPeter