[FRENCH] Philadelphia Reapers newest rookie's interview [1/2]

Patpou22

March 4th 2019

The Crematorium Center

Edward Vigneault, the man from the woods

Tout d'abord, bonjour Edward, merci beaucoup de me recevoir au Centre Crematorium aujourd'hui pour cette entrevue. Comment te sens-tu pour ta première présence face au médias?

Merci à toi de m'avoir convoqué! Je dois dire que j'étais un peu nerveux avant ton arrivée à cause de Kandee qui m'avait dit que mon entrevue allait se dérouler en anglais, et comme tu le sais, j'ai un peu de difficulté avec cette langue, puisque ou j'ai grandi, on ne parle que le français.

Et bien, parlons-en de la ville ou tu as grandi. Que peux-tu nous dire sur celle-ci?

Eh bien, c'est une ville d'environ 20 000 habitants pratiquement au bout de la route 138. C'est assez reculé comme endroit, en effet la ville la plus grande est à 550 km. Par contre, les hivers sont plus long, les saisons de hockey durent plus longtemps, on peut jouer sur les patinoires de quartier au mois de décembre facilement. On pêche, on chasse, beaucoup de plaisir et j'ai déjà hâte d'y retourner et retrouver ma famille et mes amis.

Donc, tu sembles nous dire que c'est un bon environnement pour développer un joueur de hockey?

A vrai dire, non pas vraiment, bien qu'on peut jouer plus longtemps et plus souvent, il est très difficile de percer et de sortir de la région. Les gens en ville ont des camps d'entrainement et de perfectionnement tout au long de l'année, des joueurs VHL qui viennent et donne de très bon trucs aux jeunes qui s'améliorent donc beaucoup plus rapidement que la moyenne de notre coin.

Et toi, comment as-tu réussi à te démarquer et à sortir de la région?

Avec beaucoup de chance, et oui, mes parents sont assez fortuné pour me payer quelques fois par année le voyage vers Québec ou Montréal pour participer aux camps d’entraînements. Cependant, j'ai accompagné cette chance par un travail acharné, tous les jours je jouais au hockey: le matin avant l'école, je tirais une centaine de rondelles au filet dans ma cours arrière, le soir si je n'étais pas dans la rue en train de jouer au hockey, j'étais à la patinoire du quartier pour faire les ''drills'' que mon entraîneur m'avait donné à ma demande. Je vivais pour le hockey, j'en mangeais matin, midi et soir. Finalement, je dois dire que mon physique aide beaucoup, 6'6'' et 250lbs, c'est un bon gabarit pour le hockey.

Ton physique, parlons-en! Comment te décrirais-tu comme défenseur?

Je ne suis pas vraiment bon à me décrire, mais pour répondre à ta question, je crois que je suis un défenseur très défensif, je peux appuyer mes dires avec mes statistiques au hockey mineur! Je crois que j'ai assez de facilité à libérer la vision de mon gardien, quoi que maintenant dans VHLM les avants sont plus gros et plus fort, mais mon physique m'avantage toujours.

Alors merci beaucoup pour ce court entrevue, et je te souhaite la meilleure des chances dans ta carrière en VHLM

Merci beaucoup Pierre, au plaisir de se reparler dans un future rapproché!

À notre sortie du vestiaire des Reapers, nous avons rencontré @BladeMaiden, directeur général de l'équipe, nous en avons profité pour recueillir ses commentaires sur sa nouvelle recrue, qui a notre plus grande surprise, nous a répondu en français et je cite:

'"Je suis très heureux de pouvoir accueillir dans notre équipe un joueur très talentueux. Ce n'est un secret pour personne que certains des meilleurs joueurs dans les jeux sont venus du Québec. Edward Vigneault est un exemple parfait de cette excellence. Nous sommes ravis de le voir écraser la concurrence."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all, hello Edward, thank you very much for having me at the Crematorium Center today for this interview. How do you feel about your first presence in the media?

Thank you for having me! I must say that I was a little nervous before you arrived because of Kandee told me that my interview was going to be in English, and as you know, I have a little difficulty with that language, since I grew up speaking only in French.

Well, let's talk about the city where you grew up. What can you tell us about this one?

Well, it's a city of about 20,000 people practically at the end of route 138. It's quite remote as a place, because the largest city is 550 km away. However, the winters are longer, the hockey seasons last longer, you can play on neighborhood rinks in December easily. Fishing, hunting, lots of fun and I can not wait to go back and meet my family and friends.

So, you seem to be saying that it's a good environment to develop a hockey player?

In fact, not really, although you can play longer and more often, it is very difficult to break out of the area. People in the city have training and development camps all year round, VHL players coming in and giving great tips to the kids who are improving so much faster than the average of our area.

And how did you manage to stand out and leave the region?

Hopefully, and yes, my parents are fortunate enough to pay me a few trips a year to Quebec or Montreal to participate in the training camps. However, I accompanied this chance with hard work, every day I played hockey: in the morning before school, I drew a hundred slices in the net in my back yard, the evening if I was not in the street playing hockey, I was at the rink of the neighborhood to do the '' drills '' that my coach had given me at my request. I lived for hockey, I ate morning, noon and night. Finally, I must say that my physique helps a lot, 6'6 '' and 250lbs, it's a good size for hockey.

Your physical, let's talk about it! How would you describe yourself as a defender?

I'm not really good at describing myself, but to answer your question, I think I'm a very defensive defenseman, I can support my story with my minor hockey stats! I think I have enough ease to release my goalie's vision, although now in VHLM the guys are bigger and stronger, but my physic still favors me.

So thank you very much for this short interview, and I wish you the best of luck in your VHLM career

Thank you very much Pierre, with the pleasure to talk again in a near future!

When we came out of the Reapers locker room, we met with @BladeMaiden, the team's general manager, we took the opportunity to gather his comments on his new recruit, who has our greatest surprise, replied in French and I quote:

"I am very happy to welcome a very talented player to our team, and it is no secret that some of the best players in the games came from Quebec, and Edward Vigneault is a perfect example of this excellence. pleased to see him crush the competition. "

Edited by Patpou22

1 hour ago, Patpou22 said:

March 4th 2019

The Crematorium Center

Edward Vigneault, the man from the woods

Tout d'abord, bonjour Edward, merci beaucoup de me recevoir au Centre Crematorium aujourd'hui pour cette entrevue. Comment te sens-tu pour ta première présence face au médias?

Merci à toi de m'avoir convoqué! Je dois dire que j'étais un peu nerveux avant ton arrivée à cause de Kandee qui m'avait dit que mon entrevue allait se dérouler en anglais, et comme tu le sais, j'ai un peu de difficulté avec cette langue, puisque ou j'ai grandi, on ne parle que le français.

Et bien, parlons-en de la ville ou tu as grandi. Que peux-tu nous dire sur celle-ci?

Eh bien, c'est une ville d'environ 20 000 habitants pratiquement au bout de la route 138. C'est assez reculé comme endroit, en effet la ville la plus grande est à 550 km. Par contre, les hivers sont plus long, les saisons de hockey durent plus longtemps, on peut jouer sur les patinoires de quartier au mois de décembre facilement. On pêche, on chasse, beaucoup de plaisir et j'ai déjà hâte d'y retourner et retrouver ma famille et mes amis.

Donc, tu sembles nous dire que c'est un bon environnement pour développer un joueur de hockey?

A vrai dire, non pas vraiment, bien qu'on peut jouer plus longtemps et plus souvent, il est très difficile de percer et de sortir de la région. Les gens en ville ont des camps d'entrainement et de perfectionnement tout au long de l'année, des joueurs VHL qui viennent et donne de très bon trucs aux jeunes qui s'améliorent donc beaucoup plus rapidement que la moyenne de notre coin.

Et toi, comment as-tu réussi à te démarquer et à sortir de la région?

Avec beaucoup de chance, et oui, mes parents sont assez fortuné pour me payer quelques fois par année le voyage vers Québec ou Montréal pour participer aux camps d’entraînements. Cependant, j'ai accompagné cette chance par un travail acharné, tous les jours je jouais au hockey: le matin avant l'école, je tirais une centaine de rondelles au filet dans ma cours arrière, le soir si je n'étais pas dans la rue en train de jouer au hockey, j'étais à la patinoire du quartier pour faire les ''drills'' que mon entraîneur m'avait donné à ma demande. Je vivais pour le hockey, j'en mangeais matin, midi et soir. Finalement, je dois dire que mon physique aide beaucoup, 6'6'' et 250lbs, c'est un bon gabarit pour le hockey.

Ton physique, parlons-en! Comment te décrirais-tu comme défenseur?

Je ne suis pas vraiment bon à me décrire, mais pour répondre à ta question, je crois que je suis un défenseur très défensif, je peux appuyer mes dires avec mes statistiques au hockey mineur! Je crois que j'ai assez de facilité à libérer la vision de mon gardien, quoi que maintenant dans VHLM les avants sont plus gros et plus fort, mais mon physique m'avantage toujours.

Alors merci beaucoup pour ce court entrevue, et je te souhaite la meilleure des chances dans ta carrière en VHLM

Merci beaucoup Pierre, au plaisir de se reparler dans un future rapproché!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

À notre sortie du vestiaire des Reapers, nous avons rencontré @BladeMaiden, directeur général de l'équipe, nous en avons profité pour recueillir ses commentaires sur sa nouvelle recrue, qui a notre plus grande surprise, nous a répondu en français et je cite:

'"Je suis très heureux de pouvoir accueillir dans notre équipe un joueur très talentueux. Ce n'est un secret pour personne que certains des meilleurs joueurs dans les jeux sont venus du Québec. Edward Vigneault est un exemple parfait de cette excellence. Nous sommes ravis de le voir écraser la concurrence."

Note: This article had to be written in French since the athlete questioned had a lot of difficulty answering our questions in English. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I could be wrong but this might not count. And this league might not be for you. As a fellow english as a second language(i speak russian). I can understand why its easier but as this is a primary english league i dont know if this will fly.

@Will @Beketov @Banackock @Beaviss @Quik these guys may be able to confirm 

Edited by Gooningitup

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, Patpou22 said:

@BladeMaiden, my GM told me I can, maybe he didn't knew

I mean it’s ultimately not up to Blade. It’ll fly for this one but we’d really prefer articles in English. Even if it’s not perfect, we don’t mind at all. The VHL has actually been very beneficial in developing English as a second language sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean it’s ultimately not up to Blade. It’ll fly for this one but we’d really prefer articles in English. Even if it’s not perfect, we don’t mind at all. The VHL has actually been very beneficial in developing English as a second language sometimes.

Look at me I'm still far from perfect, have a hard time getting a point across but I'm much better than i started

10 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You are right it isn't up to me but I saw no rules against it so I didn't see a problem if you can direct me to the part of the VHL rules that states we are a primarily English ( I would be interested in seeing how i missed this if it is a formal rule.)  The only thing this will rile will do is improve ppls use of google translate  but hey that is my opinion :) Thanks for the head up Bek!

• Commissioner
Just now, BladeMaiden said:

if you can direct me to the part of the VHL rules that states we are a primarily English

There’s no formal rule but I think the fact that every announcement, rule, and post is made in english should be enough to showcase that we are a primarily English league. Our memebrs speak many different languages ( @hedgehog337 is a great example) but posts and articles especially should still be English. I assure all members no one will be chewed out for having English be their second language.

9 minutes ago, Beketov said:

There’s no formal rule but I think the fact that every announcement, rule, and post is made in english should be enough to showcase that we are a primarily English league. Our memebrs speak many different languages ( @hedgehog337 is a great example) but posts and articles especially should still be English. I assure all members no one will be chewed out for having English be their second language.

When you directly call me out for being Miss informed i just look a reason I could hVe missed something official. I state again if things are just understood to be a certain way thst thst is a flimsy reason to treaten to reject articles ( or letting it slide this time, really??) Just because things have been done a certain way doesn’t mean that it should continue to be that way. Like I said this just encourages the use of google translate.

7 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

When you directly call me out for being Miss informed i just look a reason I could hVe missed something official. I state again if things are just understood to be a certain way thst thst is a flimsy reason to treaten to reject articles ( or letting it slide this time, really??) Just because things have been done a certain way doesn’t mean that it should continue to be that way. Like I said this just encourages the use of google translate.

Google translate is garbage lol i can do english to russian and get it wrong, and then reput what they translate as russian into english and get a different statement.

Also its done this way cuz 99% of the league speaks it. I speak russian at home, and knew probably as much as this man in english my articles were terrible at first. But im not gunna expect the league to google translate it an make sense of it. 

18 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

Although it'd probably be fine in French, considering we have a few French speakers on the site, what if someone wants to write an article in a language no one else here knows? We could use Google Translate to get a gist but as Gooning has said and from my own experience as well, Google Translate does a poor job. So at that point, how can we confirm it's league related? Or, on a much bigger note, how can we confirm that it doesn't contain things like racial slurs that could push people away if they also join and speak that same language? It's hard to open that can of worms and then say this language is allowed, but those aren't.

Having said that, I wouldn't be against allowing articles to be written on here in French. It does kinda suck for members like Gooning though that had to struggle through improving their english by writing in a language they weren't too comfortable with.

Edited by .sniffuM

12 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Google translate is garbage lol i can do english to russian and get it wrong, and then reput what they translate as russian into english and get a different statement.

Also its done this way cuz 99% of the league speaks it. I speak russian at home, and knew probably as much as this man in english my articles were terrible at first. But im not gunna expect the league to google translate it an make sense of it. 

I respect that but half the articles dont get read and I wrote a french quote for this article. There are many ppl on this site who speak different languages and unless there is a specific rule about it I would expect my player’s article to be taken in whatever language he writes it in. The issue is that unwritten rules make it easy for GMs to give advice to their players. All I’m asking for is hard guidelines to be put in place and much respect to @Gooningitup for his struggle, I would have never known his 1st language wasn’t English so kudos to him.

Edited by BladeMaiden

7 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

I respect that but half the articles dont get read and I wrote a french quote for this article. There are many ppl on this site who speak different languages and unless there is a specific rule about it I would expect my player’s article to be taken in whatever language he writes it in. The issue is that unwritten rules make it easy for GMs to give advice to their players. All I’m asking for is hard guidelines to be put in place and much respect to @Gooningitup for his struggle, I would have never known his 1st language wasn’t English so kudos to him.

1 minute ago, Quik said:

Honestly, I would never have known has you not said anything, your English is really good!

Its taken me a few years, to get to where i am. I credit VHL for it, i also do a lot more paperwork now in english as i own my company so i have had to adapt and grow. Only been in Canada about 12ish years now 

I didn't wanted to draw so much attention, I tried it to see if it would went through, it obviously didn't, as said before, from now on I will write in english, that's all

13 minutes ago, Patpou22 said:

I didn't wanted to draw so much attention, I tried it to see if it would went through, it obviously didn't, as said before, from now on I will write in english, that's all

This is  the fault of nonexistent ‘understood’ rules, now we know. Perhaps that should be rectified @Quik and @Beketov so ppl like me don’t start arguing that this is not a valid reason to not take these alternative language articles because there are no official rules on it. In the law ambiguity always benefits the plaintiff, just an interesting fact for you :) like i said thank for the info !

Edited by BladeMaiden

• Commissioner
19 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

This is  the fault of nonexistent ‘understood’ rules, now we know. Perhaps that should be rectified @Quik and @Beketov so ppl like me don’t start arguing that this is not a valid reason to not take these alternative language articles because there are no official rules on it. In the law ambiguity always benefits the plaintiff, just an interesting fact for you :) like i said thank for the info !

If I walk into a store in the middle of Iowa and start speaking Japanese should I expect to get service in that language? I don’t think there’s a distinct reason to have a rule that says “English only” when it’s fair to tell from reading literally anything on the site that we’re an English community. I don’t mind a little French in articles, it adds a certain extra flair and character that could be interesting and wouldn’t be present if we made a hard and fast rule. I just think we don’t want to open a potential can of worms for people to come in with anything they want that no one else can understand. As @.sniffuM said it could just create problems.

Also FWIW I wasn’t calling you out at all. You need to stop taking everything I say as some kind of slight. All I said is ultimately it isn’t up to a VHLM GM to decide what counts for an article. If anything it’s not even up to me, it’s really @DollarAndADream‘s department.

25 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If I walk into a store in the middle of Iowa and start speaking Japanese should I expect to get service in that language? I don’t think there’s a distinct reason to have a rule that says “English only” when it’s fair to tell from reading literally anything on the site that we’re an English community. I don’t mind a little French in articles, it adds a certain extra flair and character that could be interesting and wouldn’t be present if we made a hard and fast rule. I just think we don’t want to open a potential can of worms for people to come in with anything they want that no one else can understand. As @.sniffuM said it could just create problems.

Also FWIW I wasn’t calling you out at all. You need to stop taking everything I say as some kind of slight. All I said is ultimately it isn’t up to a VHLM GM to decide what counts for an article. If anything it’s not even up to me, it’s really @DollarAndADream‘s department.

Please refrain fron telling me what I ‘need’ to do but i see your point of view. However, i don’t get why if it important enough to enforce why a rule about Primarily English articles would be difficult .

Ex.

point tasks for tpe must be completeed in English. Alternative languages may be used to enhance Articles and add personality but the bulk of the article should be in English.