[FRENCH] Philadelphia Reapers newest rookie's interview [1/2]

Patpou22

@Patpou22

I think if you're going to post an article like this, maybe put in a translated section as well? I don't think this should necessarily count. I know there's no clear rules against it, but I feel like it's probably general knowledge that this is an English league.

I don't want to count anybody out because of a language barrier, however. So either just do your best in English, or use Google Translate and post translations. You could include a translator in your interview if you go with that style as well.

8 hours ago, Beketov said:

Japanese should I expect to get service in that language?

If you walk into a Japanese store in Tokyo you would probably speak English right?

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Sova said:

If you walk into a Japanese store in Tokyo you would probably speak English right?

Speak it maybe but I wouldn’t expect service in it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the big to-do is.

There are no secondary language areas on the site. As with most sim leagues, and even general forums, English is the language used in the VHL. @BladeMaiden, I understand you are fighting for your player/want things in black and white, but this isn't a legal proceeding, so

13 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

In the law ambiguity always benefits the plaintiff

doesn't apply here, even though @Beketov has allowed it this time (which does benefit the 'plaintiff' in this situation). For nearly 12 years, nobody has questioned that articles need to be in English. @Patpou22 accepted this fact when Bek replied.

This site is not, and never will be, run as a legal entity, where every little detail is written down. Just as you are here on your free time, so is everybody else, so while official rulings are nice to have, there won't be one for every situation, because, well, I don't know that anyone here is a lawyer or fortune teller, and as much as we like to have our bases covered, some things are understood, and others are dealt with when they come up.

If there's something that you believe is a gray area, the course of action is not to tell someone 'go ahead, we'll fight it if we don't like the answer,' but rather to ask somebody with decision making power (with point tasks, the first contact would be @DollarAndADream, and if he can't answer, he'll come to Bek or myself for clarity).

As much as we want to make things easy for each individual member, it's not the job of an updater to translate an article to see if it meets the necessary criteria. They already have a big enough job, when it comes to approving updates in a timely fashion, that figuring out if an article is VHL related, meets the necessary word minimum, and isn't complete jiberish (not saying this article is, I truly have not read it because that's beside the point), is added work they don't need. If a member needs to write in their native language first, and then translate it themselves, that is fine, as long as the general gist of it makes sense, and is VHL related/meets the word count, the league has never held that against anyone.

Well I'm going to write my next fan590 in Australian. Good luck understanding that shit, you fuckers. 

PS, it was a good article and has been subsequently translated. He knows now, so let's encourage more good writing from new members. 

Just now, BOOM™ said:

Well I'm going to write my next fan590 in Australian. Good luck understanding that shit, you fuckers. 

PS, it was a good article and has been subsequently translated. He knows now, so let's encourage more good writing from new members. 

So... normal English where c*** is both the greatest of insults and the greatest of compliments depending on context, eh?

You should also tell people to ‘Fak ouf’ at least five times in that article. 

Just like an article in Canadian means you’re apologizing for everything while smoking a dart and drinking that Timmies double-double!

17 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

Like I said this just encourages the use of google translate.

I'd say just let the OP run it through google translate as opposed to everyone wanting to read it or accept it as an update needing to. Makes discussion about the content easier too, considering everyone here has at least a baseline understanding of English.

Let it be clear that this is no knock against people who speak baguette because I'm one of them.

@Quik @Beketov Maybe you should make a media section for "other than English" where ppl could post articles in their native language/in a language they've been practicing for others that speak the language can talk about it in that language or give the person points/tips on the language. Or require "english translation" on the article if its decided to be published in other than english. (without giving extra credit?)

On 3/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, Nykonax said:

they both speak baguette

We speak poutine, bitch. Get it right.

• 2 months later...

Review

My browser auto asks me to put google translate on. With that being said, there were some funky wordings in it but that is expected with google. It's ok though as it was a different fro the norm read. I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work my friend. Keep plugging away at the english. I won't grade you to harshly considering it isnt your first language. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to [FRENCH] Philadelphia Reapers newest rookie's interview [1/2]