Official 2014-15 NFL Discussion Thread

frescoelmo

Not a fan of that. Making the playoffs is a big deal when only 12 of 32 teams can go, what's the point if you're suddenly allowing half the league to get in?

12 to 14 isn't that big of a stretch, one more team per conference.  It's about the same in every other league sub baseball...  The length of their season allows for that.

This is going to happen, that's for sure.  The NFL loves the fact that they can get another two MNF games out of this first round.  

I'd call us a 3-4 with a slight 4-3 tendency. It seems as though we have no clue what we are seeing as though our D has sucked for so long. We want to bring in an Elephant package this year though so who knows how that will work out. Raji will play NT this year though and they may rotate Pickett in (if he signs). I see it as this:

Neal - Raji - D. Jones

Peppers - Hawk - B. Jones - Matthews

You watch the Packers a lot more often than I do. Do they only play Mike Daniels when they run 4 man fronts or did he play frequently with 3 down linemen? He was great last year and I see him as a key breakout piece to this Packers D this year.

Glad the Giants are signing some good CB but the offensive line still looks terrible... I doubt they finish any better that 7-9 if that

Geoff Schwartz was a fantastic signing. If Will Beatty can play up to his talent level, the team can draft a Taylor Lewan or a Jake Matthews, shift Pugh inside and then their line will be fine.

Geoff Schwartz was a fantastic signing. If Will Beatty can play up to his talent level, the team can draft a Taylor Lewan or a Jake Matthews, shift Pugh inside and then their line will be fine.

yeah I completely missed that signing but still a little worried about it. 

yeah I completely missed that signing but still a little worried about it.

Being a Jets fan I was jealous of the signing. Schwartz has bounced around the league so that's truncated his value but after Arthur Jones I saw him as the most underrated free agent this year. The draft is fairly deep on centers so if the Giants draft an OT in the first round and then a center in the third or fourth they can jump right back to playoff contention.

You watch the Packers a lot more often than I do. Do they only play Mike Daniels when they run 4 man fronts or did he play frequently with 3 down linemen? He was great last year and I see him as a key breakout piece to this Packers D this year.

They actually use him more in a 3 man front surprisingly. He is used in a 4 man front from time to time but he is very mobile so they will shift him off the line. He actually will look like the 4th guy but he will come out of stance and still rush the QB. I call Mike a big play guy, not an every play guy. Comes in 50% of the plays, but oddly enough he always creates some worry for O-Lines.

So does Jadeveon Clowney go #1 or not?

I have such a hard time believing a team would risk on his lack of motivation/production...  Houston's in a weird position because they don't necessarily need him but this is such a crappy QB class that they might opt to trade down.  Once you weather all of the combine bullshit, he will probably end up #1 regardless of to whom.

I personally think they're gonna regret the DRC signing but otherwise yeah.

I think if any team can get his head back in the game, it's the Giants. Coughlin is a damn good coach who I can see getting DRC motivated to play hard. But at least if DRC busts hard, you'll be done with him after one season.

So does Jadeveon Clowney go #1 or not?

As much as I think that Watt and Clowney would be a deadly combo to build a defense around, I think Bill O'Brien will go QB. He showed a knack for grooming QBs at Penn State and I don't think he'll pass up the opportunity to get a similar situation in Houston with the QB of his choice.

As much as I think that Watt and Clowney would be a deadly combo to build a defense around, I think Bill O'Brien will go QB. He showed a knack for grooming QBs at Penn State and I don't think he'll pass up the opportunity to get a similar situation in Houston with the QB of his choice.

Which QB's are you talking about, the only current NFL QB from PSU is Matt McGloin who is a backup on Oakland.  I guess you could add Thaddeus Lewis to the list, but he was nothing more than a journeyman.

Which QB's are you talking about, the only current NFL QB from PSU is Matt McGloin who is a backup on Oakland.  I guess you could add Thaddeus Lewis to the list, but he was nothing more than a journeyman.

I was referring to how he was in the process of grooming Christian Hackenberg, who started last season for Penn State as a true freshman. O'Brien now gets the opportunity to bring in and groom the QB of his choice, like he did with Hackenberg and I don't see him drafting Clowney over his choice of a quarterback.

Matt McGloin was also starting games for Oakland last year, but I don't know what his positioning is on the depth chart now. He didn't do too bad either, pretty good for a rookie with no heralding or hype I'd say.

Edited by Doomsday

I was referring to how he was in the process of grooming Christian Hackenberg, who started last season for Penn State as a true freshman. O'Brien now gets the opportunity to bring in and groom the QB of his choice, like he did with Hackenberg and I don't see him drafting Clowney over his choice of a quarterback.

Matt McGloin was also starting games for Oakland last year, but I don't know what his positioning is on the depth chart now. He didn't do too bad either, pretty good for a rookie with no heralding or hype I'd say.

That's assuming a lot for O'Brien; he's surely been an offensive mind throughout his coaching career but I wouldn't necessarily consider him a QB groomer if he spent one year with a freshman.  Props to him for snagging the #1 QB prospect though.  McGloin is alright I suppose but he was undrafted and third on the Oakland DC.  Third.  He only started because Pryor was injured and Flynn is, well, Flynn.

In the end I don't necessarily think that the QB class is strong enough to validate taking one #1 overall.  If I were the Texas GM I'd try to move down 2-3 spots and get some value later in the first day.

That's assuming a lot for O'Brien; he's surely been an offensive mind throughout his coaching career but I wouldn't necessarily consider him a QB groomer if he spent one year with a freshman.  Props to him for snagging the #1 QB prospect though.  McGloin is alright I suppose but he was undrafted and third on the Oakland DC.  Third.  He only started because Pryor was injured and Flynn is, well, Flynn.

In the end I don't necessarily think that the QB class is strong enough to validate taking one #1 overall.  If I were the Texas GM I'd try to move down 2-3 spots and get some value later in the first day.

His ticket to a head coaching gig at Penn State was from his performance as the OC in New England. As much as I think that Case Keenum should get a full year of off-season reps as the starter and get the shot to prove he's the guy, teams tend to pounce at a top QB prospect when they've got the #1 overall pick. Especially considering his offensive background, I can't see him wanting to draft defensively here.

His ticket to a head coaching gig at Penn State was from his performance as the OC in New England. As much as I think that Case Keenum should get a full year of off-season reps as the starter and get the shot to prove he's the guy, teams tend to pounce at a top QB prospect when they've got the #1 overall pick. Especially considering his offensive background, I can't see him wanting to draft defensively here.

If it were entirely up to him I'm sure he knows better and would trade down! :P