Pat Svoboda Matches Last Year's Hit Total [1/2]

StamkosFan

Pat Svoboda Matches Last Year's Hit Total

mike20richards20takes20a20hit20from20zde

Svoboda crunches an opponent into the boards while playing against the Toronto Legion.

Pat Svoboda's rookie profile chastised his lack of physicality, with many bemoaning how he was wasting his massive 6'5'' frame. But just 13 games into the season, it's very clear that Svoboda is hitting more; he has matched his hit total of 7 in only 13 games, and reportedly, one of the primary things he is practicing is still hits. Despite pacing for around 38 hits, the Swedish right winger is not satisfied; he wants more. One of the reasons he avoided contact in the past was not just that European hockey was much less physical due to the bigger ice rink, but also that he feared it would result in him taking penalties. Svoboda esteems his discipline on the ice, but so far, he has managed to keep his hits clean and at the right time; although this statement will surely jinx that, through the first 13 games he has yet to take a penalty minute.

"I'm trying to find a productive outlet on the ice for all the anger that I’ve built up this past year, and nothing feels better than stapling opponents to the boards. I love watching a grimace spread across their face as they stagger for a few steps, struggling to keep their footing," said Pat Svoboda. "I’m thirsty for blood I would say, yeah. But I've been really careful not to cross the line or do anything dirty. I'm cautious not to draw the ref's attention or even do anything that looks vaguely bad. I'm not useful to my team, in fact, I'm putting them behind the eight ball if I'm sitting in the penalty box, so I do whatever I can to play hard, but stay the hell out of the sin bin. If I hit too hard or brutally, I’m also looking at potential retaliation from the other team, with guys head hunting and taking runs at me, which I don’t want. I think the hardest part of adding hitting to my game was learning how to keep it clean and learning the difference between a penalty and a hockey play, but I've got it under wraps now."

His 50 checking rating trails behind that of his linemate and fellow sophomore, Elias Dahlberg. Dahlberg’s 47 hits in the same 13 games eclipse Svoboda’s by far and put the right winger’s totals to shame; in fact, Dahlberg ranks among the top 15 skaters in the league in that regard. But adding a bit of snarl to his game will help Svoboda to avoid becoming a target of the enforcers and grinders around the league, and help Dahlberg not to have to do all the dirty work alone. His stature and size alone is enough to strike fear into the hearts of opposing players, and when most guys see Svoboda coming on hot for a check, they shy away and scramble to avoid it at all costs. His all around strength and muscular arms, built over years of working on a high velocity shot, make for a punishing blow if he connects with smaller opponents. Svoboda meant what he said about coming into this year leaner, meaner, and out for blood.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Pat Svoboda Matches Last Year's Hit Total [1/2]