A Check In From The New Home of the Wolves [2/2]

Bonzaijoe

As we usually do, today we sat down once again with Joe Nixon to ask some questions. This time, we focused around the team's move to Vancouver, how the fans have taken the move, and what's going on in the new big city!

How have the fans taken the transition to Vancouver?

"Well, I think. Of course back in Quebec there are still some fans who are upset about the move, rightly so. It's hard to take a team away from a city and I think they have a right to be angry but the new city has welcomed us with warm, loving arms and these new fans have been great to us. Quebec was an amazing place for this franchise to play, we're just sorry it didn't work out between us. Much love to that city, seriously. Vancouver has been great to us though. I love living here, it's a beautiful place, and the fans are awesome and seriously passionate about hockey, regardless of if we're new or not. With us being so close to Seattle, I expected more Seattle fans than Wolves fans, but these guys are embracing us and we're so grateful for that."

Have the vets of the team shown any rough signs after the move?

"Some guys were attached to Quebec, of course. But that's just bound to happen. We're here though, and the move was as a team. I understand being upset about a move, and I'm not blaming ANYONE for being upset about that, but at least it wasn't the same jarring effect that a trade has on a player? I'm just glad the transition was smooth. Some of those guys really loved that city though and you could tell. I can imagine some may go back after retiring, but for now we're here in Vancouver and we're here to play."

You guys have had some early season success so far, can you attribute that to the new place?

"Somewhat, yeah. For the most part, though, this team is built really well by our front office and we're seeing a lot of guys step up to the plate and it's awesome. The chemistry this team is putting together early in the season is second to none, and the guys get along so well. I'm extremely happy to be a part of this journey, and having some great guys like Iseult by my side to help me transition to Vancouver and into the VHL? This experience is truly great for me as a player. As for how the move has played in though, I can only say thank you to the fans as well. These guys are crazy about hockey, like I said earlier, and will support us every single step of the way until we can bring a championship to this amazing city! They deserve it, and they've really brought the energy we need to get it done night after night."

There you have it! Some early thoughts about how the transition between cities went, straight from a Wolves player himself. As always, a huge thanks to Nixon for sitting down with us. We're just surprised he isn't tired of us yet!

• 2 months later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to A Check In From The New Home of the Wolves [2/2]