VHLM Cap Rule

For clarity's sake: if a player starts a season in the VHLM below 175 TPE, then breaks it during the season, is he no longer eligible for VHLM play?

Hard Cap only for the start of the season. Once it starts if he goes past he is good to stay. Otherwise Slaughter, Fjordtsrumemem wouldn't have stayed.

Hard Cap only for the start of the season. Once it starts if he goes past he is good to stay. Otherwise Slaughter, Fjordtsrumemem wouldn't have stayed.

Except in the case of draftees that don't have a VHL team yet. I don't recall if Slaughter was above 175 at the start of last season, probably close.

So what the hell happens to me? Am I getting sent to the gulag for overachieving?

Yeah I'm not sure. I mean from my side I recruit to get guys here, to shield a guy away simply for this reason when in the past we turned our heads is weird. I say we solidify the rules from here on out.

Personally I obviously think it should be the same. If you forfeit points to stay under the cap then you should be in the vhlm - but you shouldn't magically get those points back at the end of the season. They should be gone for good.

The thing is that AwfulHomesick didn't forfeit any points, he just waited a few days until he added them. And since this thing has been handled rather inconsistently in the past, with some members like Molholt being punished for it, while nothing had been done against this when others did it, there reall was no precedence that Awful could follow. Also, the rule wasn't exactly prominently placed...

But Victor and AwfulHomesick have already found a compromise, so I think the situation is actually resolved by now.

And to add to Cowboys point, it wouldn't hurt Cologne at all if we had to keep Olynick up, but it would suck for pretty much everyone else. Olynick would play way less games for us than he would in the VHLM and Bern would lose their starting goaltender, not exactly a situation that would help anyone especially since it's all just based on a technicality.

And to add to Cowboys point, it wouldn't hurt Cologne at all if we had to keep Olynick up, but it would suck for pretty much everyone else. Olynick would play way less games for us than he would in the VHLM and Bern would lose their starting goaltender, not exactly a situation that would help anyone especially since it's all just based on a technicality.

Yes it would, there is the achievement tracker, a sure 20 TPE he would miss out on, not to mention a pissed off player riding the pine. Obviously it is ideal to keep him in the minors, the question is whether he gets to keep the TPE or lose it. Since he is your player, you have a biased point of view about the rumoured solution of him keeping the TPE.

FWIW, this isn't exactly the same as the Molholt situation. He would have sent Mike over the cap, while Cologne has plenty of room to bring up Olynick if need be. Just a note.

You know what they say though, buyer beware.

Yes it would, there is the achievement tracker, a sure 20 TPE he would miss out on, not to mention a pissed off player riding the pine. Obviously it is ideal to keep him in the minors, the question is whether he gets to keep the TPE or lose it. Since he is your player, you have a biased point of view about the rumoured solution of him keeping the TPE.

I don't have a biased point of view, I just want us to honor the original solution that Victor already came up with, instead of starting a whole big discussion where everyone can nit-pick the examples that support his point of view, because this thing has been handled very inconsistently in the past.

I'm ready to forfeit the points if everyone will just let this be and we can all just realize how broken and ass backwards the enforcement of this rule is.

God forbid someone comes along and wants his goalie to be...what, good?  :huh:

I'm sorry for my attitude but this has been on my ass all day and I just want it to end.

i was kidding about forfeiting the points.

I'm just nitpicking because I'm about the only person who lost tpe because of it. And frankly I don't want it back, I think that was the right way to go about it. Yet I caught shit for doing it that way and everyone else is a victim.

I'm just nitpicking because I'm about the only person who lost tpe because of it. And frankly I don't want it back, I think that was the right way to go about it. Yet I caught shit for doing it that way and everyone else is a victim.

Oh I'm not accusing you of nitpicking, you were someone that was personally affected by this rule so it is only natural that you use your own case as an example.

I don't have a biased point of view, I just want us to honor the original solution that Victor already came up with, instead of starting a whole big discussion where everyone can nit-pick the examples that support his point of view, because this thing has been handled very inconsistently in the past.

Well it is a problem to me if one commish is making arbitrary decisions to contradict previous decisions that have been made. What is wrong with having a discussion about it? This is a discussion board, posted in League Discussion IIRC. The fact of the matter is that it hasn't been handled consistently, that's why we are having a discussion. We don't need to stop the conversation because we disagree.

We need clarification on the rule and the rule needs to be updated to reflect that for future instances so this discussion doesn't need to occur.

Well it is a problem to me if one commish is making arbitrary decisions to contradict previous decisions that have been made. What is wrong with having a discussion about it? This is a discussion board, posted in League Discussion IIRC. The fact of the matter is that it hasn't been handled consistently, that's why we are having a discussion. We don't need to stop the conversation because we disagree.

We need clarification on the rule and the rule needs to be updated to reflect that for future instances so this discussion doesn't need to occur.

Well to me it seemed like there had already been a decision, at least that's the impression I got from my talks with Victor. Sorry if this isn't actually the case, I certainly didn't want to block the discussion.

And to be honest it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth to see a guy that already started his draft year with over 175 TPE thanks to a massive carry-over, using helpful tricks that are only available to recreates (deadline-retirement) and some plain old luck (the length of the off-season) tell a guy who worked his way up from 0 TPE to 175 in just one season that he can't have the points he earned because of some barely visible, inconsistent and badly enforced rule.

Sorry if I come over as a bit on the edge but I have already spent quite some time talking about this with both Victor and AwfulHomesick today and I'm pretty tired as well, but now that whole discussion starts again and suddenly I'm accused of being biased and my player of circumventing the cap. I hope you can see how that is a bit agitating...

It's possible Victor misinterpreted or forgot the situation which had established precedent. In the long run, 20 TPE is a very small amount. We have to keep rules in place to avoid slippery situations where people fuck the VHLM over by starting with 250 TPE for the season.

Olynick - I really like you and Collier as members, but my point is this: what if you had intentionally not updated 80 TPE because you would have been behind Chekhov anyway? What if you intentionally keep yourself under 175 until next year, bank 150 TPE, and then start the season with 320, using all of your PTs from this year, Training Camp from S37, etc.?  I'm not trying to attack, just trying to show you why we have these rules.

Well to me it seemed like there had already been a decision, at least that's the impression I got from my talks with Victor. Sorry if this isn't actually the case, I certainly didn't want to block the discussion.

And to be honest it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth to see a guy that already started his draft year with over 175 TPE thanks to a massive carry-over, using helpful tricks that are only available to recreates (deadline-retirement) and some plain old luck (the length of the off-season) tell a guy who worked his way up from 0 TPE to 175 in just one season that he can't have the points he earned because of some barely visible, inconsistent and badly enforced rule.

Sorry if I come over as a bit on the edge but I have already spent quite some time talking about this with both Victor and AwfulHomesick today and I'm pretty tired as well, but now that whole discussion starts again and suddenly I'm accused of being biased and my player of circumventing the cap. I hope you can see how that is a bit agitating...

The biased comment is a fair one since you are arguing for your own player. You had discussions with Victor in regard in favour of your own player. You are advocating in favour of your own player. You have to admit that. Its not a slight at you. However, you bringing up a point that is completely unrelated, about my own player, brings no fruitful discussion to the topic at hand. It is merely a red herring my friend.

Since you brought up that particular issue, I can address it now. I didnt break any rule, nor did I intentionally circumvent a rule to my advantage. I merely followed the rules in place. Had I been able to play in the VHL last season instead of the Minors, I would have, but that was not an option. Moreover, this massive advantage you describe didnt help my player secure the maximum Achievement bonus or an individual award so this is a moot point when in fact members with far fewer points earned got more in the end anyway.

So again, I am making this argument for the sake of clarity and fairness for future events and future members.

It's possible Victor misinterpreted or forgot the situation which had established precedent. In the long run, 20 TPE is a very small amount. We have to keep rules in place to avoid slippery situations where people fuck the VHLM over by starting with 250 TPE for the season.

Olynick - I really like you and Collier as members, but my point is this: what if you had intentionally not updated 80 TPE because you would have been behind Chekhov anyway? What if you intentionally keep yourself under 175 until next year, bank 150 TPE, and then start the season with 320, using all of your PTs from this year, Training Camp from S37, etc.?  I'm not trying to attack, just trying to show you why we have these rules.

Because there's guys last season who dominated last season, (i.e.- Slaughter, Fjorsstrom, Brookside) who may or may not have had 175 TPE before the season, and because of that they were able to keep adding TPE to their player in the sim and tear the league apart.

Why is my player being capped at 175 when there's forwards with a much smaller margin behind me than they did with those other 3? It only makes playing the rest of the season even harder for Olynick while the skaters get better and faster.

So because Slaughter/Fjorsstrom/Brookside were able to keep their TPE under 175 before Game 1, they were handed the leeway to go up to 300+ TPE by the end of the season?

I would love for anyone to tell me why that was okay to do last season but delaying the addition of points to stay in the minors is a crime.

The biased comment is a fair one since you are arguing for your own player. You had discussions with Victor in regard in favour of your own player. You are advocating in favour of your own player. You have to admit that. Its not a slight at you. However, you bringing up a point that is completely unrelated, about my own player, brings no fruitful discussion to the topic at hand. It is merely a red herring my friend.

That is a pretty arrogant way to look at a discussion, I'm biased because I support a certain point of view that you don't share? Maybe I just think this is the right thing to do? And believe me, I haven't been an unconditional supporter of my player through all of this, Victor can confirm this. I have already told AwfulHomesick that where I do and where I don't support him.

Since you brought up that particular issue, I can address it now. I didnt break any rule, nor did I intentionally circumvent a rule to my advantage. I merely followed the rules in place. Had I been able to play in the VHL last season instead of the Minors, I would have, but that was not an option. Moreover, this massive advantage you describe didnt help my player secure the maximum Achievement bonus or an individual award so this is a moot point when in fact members with far fewer points earned got more in the end anyway.

So again, I am making this argument for the sake of clarity and fairness for future events and future members.

See, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You didn' break any rules and you didn't intentionally circumvent the cap and neither did Olynick. If there was in fact a rule he broke then it is one that is buried somewhere, because it's neither in the VHL nor the VHLM Rulebook. And you can't expect a player, especially one in his first season,to follow a rule that isn't in the Rulebook.