Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 17) [1/2]

Advantage

To Stockholm:

S51 QUE 3rd (Pass)

To Quebec:

C - Maxime Deschamps (S45-205 TPE)

My first trade as the GM of the Vikings was pretty much a nothing trade.  Being tasked with dealing with the rebuilding cursed Vikings franchise, I felt pretty confident with the pieces I had and just wanted to build out some depth.  That being said, the pick I acquired turned out to be nothing in what turned out to be one of the worst drafts ever, while Deschamps carved out a career as a depth center that brought minor value to second lines during his tenure, finishing with 126 points in 433 career games.

To Stockholm:

S53 RIG 2nd Round Pick (Luigi Linguini)

To Riga:

S51 SEA 1st Round Pick (Apollo Skye)

This ultimately wasn’t a great trade but part of my justification what that I didn’t need a goalie and outside of Skye, the draft was a joke.  This still remained true but Skye turned out to be a very strong that took home some hardware and was one of the league’s elite goalies during his career.  Linguini didn’t work out despite looks initially strong as a prospect, and this trade definitely turned out to be a dud for myself.  I think this was one of those trades where I thought out of the box, but trading the first overall pick for a late second round pick was a bit ludicrous (even though this was a two-part trade that helped recoup assets for the Vikings).

To Stockholm:

S52 Davos 1st Round Pick (Lee King Snatch)

S53 New York 1st Round Pick (SkateFast McChunky)

S52 Quebec 2nd Round Pick (Die Domi)

S52 Cologne 2nd Round Pick (Johnny Styles)

S53 New York 2nd Round Pick (Luigi De Rossi)

To New York:

RW - Diana Maxwell (S50)

C - Essian Ravenwing (S50)

D - Elijah Dotran (S50)

D - Nikki Kissanen (S48)

This was a crazy interesting trade for me.  Despite being in a rebuild with star young talents like Maxwell and Ravenwing, I decided to restart the rebuild due to getting the team when my goalie was in the prime of his career and entering into his veteran years.  Knowing that I would need an elite talent going forward in net (Skye looking pretty good now eh?) I decided to trade off Maxwell, Ravenwing and Dotran to the Americans for a huge package with a ton of picks.  This also solved the issue of not putting these guys through more of a rebuild, which saw a bit of a stat hit specifically for Maxwell and Ravenwing, which I did feel bad for.

Getting Snatch was massive for me and he was a pillar for the Vikings for quite some time starting at defense and finishing up front.  Snatch finished with over 700 TPE in his career and was easily the best player I got back in this trade.  Domi should have been better but Molholt just didn’t have a long grind in him with this player despite his best efforts, changing his name to the Undertaker after being drafted and retiring early with 342 TPE…a more than respectable amount but sadly was not a long-term fix for the Vikings.  Neither was McChunky but I traded him right after the draft for Xander Finn, who while not as good as I expected him to be, carved out a very productive career as an excellent second line center that could fill in on some first lines.  He had a ton of success for the Legion specifically towards the end of his career.  Finally, Luigi De Rossi carved out an excellent career as a second liner finishing up with 316 TPE over the course of his career.  It ended up being a decent haul due to some solid picks post first round, and of course with the acquisition of Snatch, but ultimately if I could go back and reverse the previous trade reviewed, I could have taken Skye 1st overall and paired him with Maxwell and Ravenwing.  Ultimately, hindsight always proves correct, but I do think had I done that, the Vikings could have won a Continental Cup during my tenure.

Review - A pleasant retrospective & 'what-if' on a series of GM moves - including a huge trade that sacrificed one's team future for a chance to win immediately. I'm appreciative of the reasoning you gave for each individual trade, and it's clear that each move (even in a single player/pick exchange) was very carefully considered.  A couple of minor grammatical errors (e.g. 'Skye's looking pretty good now, eh?//...turned out to be a dud for me) that I don't blame provided their frequency compared to the length of the article.

Even as a returning player I can appreciate deep dives into franchise history.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 17) [1/2]