Tamed? [1/2]

Peace

SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN -- At the beginning of the season the Saskatoon Wild were surprising the league, but the way they won their games wasn't through quality defensive play - no, not at all - on the contrary the Wild achieved their early season success by beating the ever living shit out of the opposing goaltender with pucks and red lights. Although that early season success was short lived, Saskatoon enjoyed the most potent offense in the league for quite some time. In fact, Saskatoon still maintains one of the best offenses in the VHLM, but their record speaks for the misfortunes the club has experienced.

But things changed. The Wild were held captive to their own weaknesses, such as the lack of any top end defenders or a top end goaltender, and while they have prospects developing in Shackleford, Amberback and Juandice... it hasn't been enough, and the Saskatoon Wild have become the team hockey clubs look forward to playing. It pads their players success, but recently the Wild have seemed to slip out of the spiral they were in. 

"I take responsibility," GM Peace adamantly stated. "I tried to get more defense out of our group and it backfired, and I only just recently came to the conclusion our team simply isn't built to play that desirable two hundred foot game. Nah, the Wild are an offensive team and we have to focus on our strengths, play to them like we did early on and return to the roots of that success. Fortunately, we've been maintaining a rather impressive offensive game despite our lines being shifted lately." 

GM Peace also apologized to his players for the lack of critical thought. "I want to apologize to my team for the lack of insight," He began. "Moving forward I will be making the adjustments that keep us going offensively, so our lines have returned to what worked for us on the past. I appreciate all of your patience, and I'm hoping to see us climb out from the bottom of the standings with a new, offensively focused mentality." 

The Saskatoon Wild defeated the Ottawa Lynx after making the adjustment in convincing fashion, but only time will tell if the new adjustments (or, rather, a return to what worked. Hey, if it isn't broken don't fix it, right?) will allow the stumbling Wild to gather momentum and begin outscoring their opposition once again. Similarly to recent NHL teams with poor defensive units, we've seen it is possible to get into the Stanley Cup playoffs on offense, so it shouldn't be too much of a far cry to expect something similar. 

"Our top two defenders? They're still developing," Peace said. "I expect great things from them in the future, and I'm glad they're members of the Wild. We've also got Juandice developing nicely and I think they're at the cusp of being more dominant than not game in and out. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the season and I have the confidence now that our team will do well from here on out."