My Thoughts on Expansion, Roster Sizes [1/2]

My Thoughts on Expansion, Roster Sizes

As I was writing my VHL fan.590, I realized that I had more I wanted to say regarding both VHL and VHLM expansion and roster sizes, as I hit roughly 250 words with ease, and it shouldn't be that hard for me to double that for a point task. So, that's where I am.

For as long as I've been here (joined in Season 24) and I believe for the VHL's entire existence, the VHL has been a league with rosters consisting primarily of 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie. For multiple reasons, some teams decided to load up on high end talent at the cost of depth, resulting in rosters such as 5 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, and I could swear that there was a Quebec team that won with 4 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, but I can't be bothered to look that up right now. Sometimes, these teams made a conscience decision to do this. However, in the past, we have had instances where our player base was not large enough to fill the rosters of every team in the league. This isn't meant to be a discussion on why previous expansion and/or project player two were failures, but it's important to note that part of the reason that our roster sizes are the way they are is due to the size of our player base.

However, due to the hard word of our recruitment crew, VHLM commissioners, VHLM GMs, and many others, the VHL has been growing faster than it ever has before. So far, retainment of these new members has also been better than it usually is. Suddenly, it's become apparent that if we continue on this path, the VHL is going to see change in either the size of rosters or expansion. Even if the specifics have not been announced yet, I don't think it's a secret that the league will be expanding to 10 teams. However, this might not be enough. I don't have the numbers, but just from hearing GMs talk about their roster plans and seeing the past VHL and VHLM Drafts, we're going to have to either expand our rosters or go through expansion again. In my view, expansion is the correct choice.

In my opinion, part of the draw of the VHL is the fact that no matter how low your TPE may be, there are minutes available for you somewhere (goalies notwithstanding, since that issue is a little more complicated). Whether it's in the pros or the minors, I don't think there's many feelings worse in sim leagues than to be stuck on a lower line with no playing time and not putting up any results. Yes, the situation may be a little more bearable if the team is winning, but at the end of the day, this is a player sim league, and we all want to see individual success as well. The few times I've been stuck on lower lines in the VHLM as a re-create have been my least enjoyable time in the VHLM, and I'm one of the biggest defenders of the importance of the VHLM there is. 

There used to be an argument that larger roster sizes would result in more discussion or activity and more rivalry. In our past, I would have agreed with this point, but noted that it wasn't more important than the player time argument, but in today's VHL, I don't think this applies anymore. Again, these are topics that could be discussed more elsewhere, but I don't believe discussion or activity would increase with higher rosters given that the majority of VHL discussion now either takes place in open areas of the forum or on Discord. Gone are the days where locker rooms were guarded from outsiders and team discussion viewed as a private matter. On rivalries, member to member or team to team drama is basically non-existent at this point. In general, this is a good thing, but I think the vast majority of older members would say that they miss the old true rivalries and bickering of the old VHL, when most of us were high school or college aged at a period of time when trolling, flaming, and even what insults/language were acceptable were much different than they are today. 

With all this said, I do believe that eventual expansion in the VHL and immediate expansion in the VHLM are the correct answer. I do think we should hold at 10 VHL teams for at least the next 2 seasons in order to see how the roster situation shakes out and how active some of these members stay. At the end of the day, it's easier and less messier to expand than to contract. Some have made the argument in the past that they wouldn't want to be on an expansion team, but my immediate reaction to that is that being selected by an expansion team is no worse than being drafted or traded to a rebuilding team. VHLM expansion is something that's going to be needed immediately. With limited spots available in a league that sees large fluxes of new members, we need to make sure there are always genuine spots available for these players, meaning not 4th line minutes. Even if teams are spread a little thing at the beginning of the season, the competitive balance of the VHLM will result in some teams being buyers and some teams being sellers, putting actives on competitive teams and giving new members plenty of playing time on the not as good teams. 

Now, do I think expanding rosters to 3 full lines on a regular basis would destroy the league? No, I don't, but I don't believe it's the better option between itself and expansion. It may even be something that has to be done on a temporary basis if recruitment/retainment continues to be this successful and we have 10 VHL teams, but at the end of the day, I don't believe that it's something that we should be striving for as a long term goal.

Edited by flyersfan1453

Since I am playing on an expansion team I can say that for me at least it is a great experience. About Rosters and their size, I think having full rosters adds a lot of flare and allows more strategies by setting lines differently etc. which would add so much to this league which I am honestly missing at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Sova said:

Since I am playing on an expansion team I can say that for me at least it is a great experience. About Rosters and their size, I think having full rosters adds a lot of flare and allows more strategies by setting lines differently etc. which would add so much to this league which I am honestly missing at the moment. 

What lines or strategies would you set differently? The most defensive player you'll see is a "two-way player" due to the lack of defensive stats available and it's just not fun not putting up points.

Just now, flyersfan1453 said:

What lines or strategies would you set differently? The most defensive player you'll see is a "two-way player" due to the lack of defensive stats available and it's just not fun not putting up points.

For example if you have a skill advantage in a line you can exploit that by moving players around and creating an advantageous matchup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Review

Well put together, just saw one spelling mistake but that is ok. I agree with you on the most part .Expanding to 10 is the right move. I think the next step is expanding roster sizes and cap to allow 3 forward lines 2 d lines (maybe a 5th defender) and the usual 1 to 2 goalies. I think this is the next logical step because expanding again so fast can be messy if every new player doesn't stick around. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to My Thoughts on Expansion, Roster Sizes [1/2]