Rushing to the Playoffs [1/2]

Dangles13

At this point in the season, I never imagined that we would be sitting outside of a playoff spot but here we are. We are tied with the expansion team from Houston with 29 points but they have a game in hand, I'm pissed. We are a better team than them and we need to play better in order to get our playoff spot back. We are only five points out of the last place in the league and that is unacceptable; I fully expected us to be a top team and the loss of Cole seems to have hurt us deeply.

On a personal level, I could objectively be happy with how my boxcars look but that's not how I am wired; winning is the only goal and all the stats don't matter to me. I knew that the Rush had a tough season last time around but I felt really happy with our draft and thought we were poised for a step forward. I haven't been filling the net as much as I would like to be so that is what I have to work on for the rest of the season. A few more goals for the boys might get us some more wins, especially when I'm getting passes from the best player in the league. 

Some of our teammates need to get some lucky breaks as well. John Frostbeard has a criminally low 3.23 shooting percentage and that is so unsustainable that I can't wait to watch this guy bury the biscuit every game and a half down the stretch. Two other guys, Huynh and Dreissche are two guys who are shooting under 6% and I can't see that lasting. My hope is that we bust out of slumps and start surprising teams down the second half of the season. Maybe a trade or two can get things rolling in our favour.

Playing with HHH is an absolute treat. This guy is absolutely sick on the ice and I find myself watching him do things when I should be playing and going to the net. The way he can manipulate his body to get around players is phenomenal and I can only hope to keep playing with him for the rest of the year. The guy has 28 tucks in 30 games to go with his 30 apples, the most shots in the league and the 2nd best faceoff percent; he's the best player in the league by a country mile. 

I don't know what will happen for the rest of the season but all I know is that I need playoff hockey at the end of this season or else I'll be crestfallen. Even with the draft looming in the far distance I would not be satisfied; my draft stock isn't near the top of the draft class and I don't know if I have the juice to get it higher. Some will attribute my success to riding the coattails of Helmsley and it is hard to deny it.

• 2 months later...