Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 18)

Advantage

To Stockholm:

G - Artom Zhumbayev

S53 COL 3rd

To Cologne:

G - Atticus Von Braxton IV

This trade was simply a move so that I could re-create as I had planned to once I decided to rebuild.  This gave me the opportunity to do my proper rebuild and make a move so that my player could join another team and perhaps take a shot at a Continental Cup.

Zhumbayev had a pretty successful career but ultimately only played eighty games in Stockholm, finishing with a 41-27-7 record with a 2.19 GAA and a .923 Save Percentage.  He ultimately finished his career with a pretty solid .923 save percentage but surprisingly only won four more games than he lost.

Meanwhile, von Braxton IV had a career with a lot of losing, finishing with a 55-142-10 record as he was unfortunately stuck in a lot of rebuilds throughout his career.  He did finish with a very respectable .922 save percentage and a 2.90 GAA as well.  To me, this was a fine trade with AVB4 not really having much value overall, as it gave me a goalie that I could use in the meantime and move on to my next talent.

To Stockholm:

S50 - Travis Gowecny

S49 - Tobias Klingberg

To Calgary:

S53 STO 2nd Round Pick (Apollo Aho)

S54 STO 1st Round Pick (Markus King)

This ultimately was a trade I made to add some solid players entering their prime to support my young guys as I felt I had a chance to compete for a Continental Cup pretty quickly.  I took advantage of an opportunity and acquired two players to be key cores of my team’s push to competiveness as I was looking to have the quickest rebuild possible, without sacrificing my future.

Travis Gowecny ultimately only played one season in Stockholm and recorded 88 points and was a +63 in 72 games.  Despite his incredible success, it became clear that his agent was going to take over the Calgary Wranglers GM position and decided to leave in Free Agency to join Calgary.  This annoyed me a bit but ultimately it is what it is, and Gowecny gave me one incredible season as a Viking.

Meanwhile, Klingberg was a tremendous acquisition for my Vikings as he went on to have three excellent seasons on Stockholm.  As a defenseman, Klingberg recorded 210 points in 216 games and was a ridiculous +205 in those games.  He spent the great majority of his prime with the Vikings and was a huge part of our team during those seasons.

Ultimately, what I gave up was pretty interesting.  Aho really ended up as nothing special but King certainly grew to be an incredible talent that was enshrined in our Hall of Fame.  Albeit he did only fall because he was a goalie, but nevertheless, talent wise it’s pretty clear he was the best player in this trade by a significant bit.  Marcus King went on to record a 313-159-34 record with a .924 Save Percentage and a 2.11 GAA, though ultimately none of those games were played on Calgary.  I don’t mind the trade in the end, but King definitely was the best part of this trade.  Had Gowecny lasted longer on the Vikings, I think I would feel a lot better about this trade, but ultimately this was the best decision at the time for a competing team.

Just now, flyersfan1453 said:

quik question @Advantage - do you remember all of your thoughts for these trades or do you have to look up prior information on them?

I remember most of my thoughts.  I usually explained thoughts during trade threads too.

I usually spend a lot of time going over my options before making a move so it's usually pretty memorable.