Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 19)

Advantage

To Stockholm:

(S46) D - World B. Free

(S46) RW - LeAndre St. Pierre

To Toronto:

S54 - STO 2nd Round Pick (Jean-Claude Girard)

S55 - STO 2nd Round Pick (Hodor)

The thought process I had with this trade was that it in an off-season where I wanted to propel the Vikings into a competing spot (which I did as we lost in the Finals that season).  I felt that by doing this, the second round picks would ultimately not be very valuable given how weak drafts had been prior to that stage. 

Starting with what I gave up, Jean-Claude Girard went on to a fairly lengthy career, recording 153 points in 360 career VHL games.  Ultimately, he was just a depth defender who was probably a decent pick with where he was selected but was ultimately not a player I regret missing out on.  Meanwhile, Hodor was a career VHLM player who was out after playing three seasons on Oslo, where he recorded just 101 points in 216 games. 

As for what I got, given that I didn’t give up much, this was a huge trade for my Vikings.  LeAndre St. Pierre was a rental pickup who played defense for me in his final season, recording 53 points and 101 hits in 72 games.  He was a long-time successful forward with the Legion where he finished above a point per game, but he was a solid player for my Vikings and filled a roster spot.

This trade was mainly to acquire World B. Free, whose agent I’m a massive fan of.  He ultimately was a rental too that recorded 40 points, 187 hits and 75 shot blocks in his only season with the Vikings.  More importantly, he was huge in our playoff run with 5 goals and 12 points in 13 games, while recording 45 hits and 23 blocked shots.  While these guys were both rentals, to move practically nothing for two solid veterans that could contribute to my team, I was very happy to make this move.

To Stockholm:

D - David Hamilton (S47)

To New York:

D - Misha Tobolsk (S50)

David Hamilton ultimately wouldn’t play a game in Stockholm, but he went on to have a decent 432 game career.  He recorded 319 points, 293 hits and 662 blocked shots during his six season career.  I was looking for some experience for my defense and moved the younger Tobolsk for the more developed player and rescued New York from a bit of cap hell with the move.

Misha Tobolsk ultimately played five seasons in the VHL and recorded 159 points in 360 games, recording 702 hits and 618 blocked shots during his career.  Tobolsk was an solid second pairing defensive defender during his five season career, playing with the Vikings, Americans, Dynamo and Express. 

As a whole, I don’t mind this move as Tobolsk for me was an expendable asset especially with me going for a more competitive team.  Hamilton was a better defender during his career, and while he didn’t play for Stockholm, he was someone I could use to leverage another trade.