Affiliate TPE Opportunity

Beketov

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Thranduil said:

as long as they get most of them done by Saturday, when the league file is updated

The league file isn’t always updated on Saturday though, we can update it whenever we want. I’m not sure what Devise has been doing with the VHL but I update the VHLM any time a new player is added as the ratings update also creates the player so that happens multiple times a week. If updaters were working less and just making sure everyone was good for one day there would be fewer updates likely going in.

Something that I've only seen on the EFL that I can recall is that they offer career point tasks. And what these are is there a point to ask related to a certain point in your career they have them for, your first college experience, your experience being drafted, and your first time testing free agency; various things that would happen in a person's career naturally and I think these are a neat way to tell your story and I know the VHL offers a rookie profile but I'd like to see that expanded. I think these would be a neat way for people to kind of put themselves in their players shoes, or skates if you will, so they can experience their career from standpoint that's not just looking at numbers in the index. I also realize that we don't have college system here but we can swap that out for juniors and I think you know hockey has its own Sport and has its own milestones in things like your first fight, your first goal, and even your first playoff game he's at all exciting events and I think it'd be fun to write about them.

Edited by Dangles13

4 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

Basically, instead of making you write one massive biography, they have it split into a number of smaller tasks for uncapped TPE. I think we could try and implement something similar as a replacement for our biography, since it's the most daunting task/line for newcomers to have to cross. One thousand words seems to be a lot for people who are just getting into the league, I've noticed that they struggle to find the willpower to grind out that 10 TPE right off the bat. If we shortened the task to about 300 words or so, rewarded 4 uncapped upon completion, and then offered other uncapped career tasks along the way, I think we'd get a lot more members to participate early on while also giving them incentive to keep active later on in their careers. By the time they finish their career PTs, they would ideally have amassed 15 or so uncapped TPE overall (spread out over different points in their careers, of course) instead of having the 10 TPE bomb to start things off.

I like this

After taking a look at the EFL I definitely have to agree with us adding the Career point tasks. I completed the rookie profile and biography one after another and it was a pretty big challenge writing that much at once about a fictional player I created. I think if it were to be spread out like the EFL (i.e highschool, college, draft, free agency, 5 year mark of career, retirement) it would not only make it easier on users who have a difficult time writing lengthy articles right off the bat, but it would provide more interaction throughout the season. On top of this I also found an option in their player store that I found interesting. You have the ability to purchase equipment that provides your player a permanent boost in a specific stat. For example we could have skates that give you a +1 boost to skating, a stick that gives you a +1 boost to your shot, shoulder pads for a +1 boost to checking, and so on so forth.

I'd like to see us adopt the poll system from the EFL. Having it on the side of the site makes it easy for users to access, and I think it provides some good feedback on the site for the head office to go over. From a user perspective it's also pretty fun to vote on these polls. I'd also like for us to daily trivia, but only on the weekends, every day is a bit too much, but maybe Friday, Saturday, and Sunday would be cool. The weekly trivia is probably better for the semi-actives, but for people that visit the site a lot more and spend 1+ hour browsing the forum each day, it can be a little boring once you do all of your tasks by Tuesday/Wednesday. The weekend trivia would be cool, because like I said, I usually have everything done by Tuesday then have nothing really left to do the rest of the week. 

I think having play by play announcers for games like the EFL have would be a great idea and a good way to further involve the community. Play by play announcers could be rewarded for their work with small amounts of TPE would increase activity and would help with immersion. I can personally give an example from the SHL:

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=82724&pid=2352772#pid2352772

where i had a goalie who had a 0.970 save percentage in game 7 where it went into like 2OT, you can literally see people shaking from excitement in their posts as the game is "broadcasted" live, or for an even more exciting example:

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=77353&page=25

where it is game 7 in the playoffs, where my goalie saved 54/55 something shots in triple overtime to send us to the finals ( where we were immediately swept, but thats besides the point.) If you read the responses in the threads its evident that theres so much enjoyment and excitement that come from reading the play by play with the combination of the GIFs and the like. its alot more exciting than just accessing the file immediately and being presented with the ending score and result.

The SBA's portal sbaonline has additional links to historical indexes and records gathered to listings. I know the vhlportal has an additional league index to it, but it's clunky compared to the actual vhlportal and clunky compared to sbaonline.

sbaonline also has clear and simple links in the dropdown menus and I'm not (yet atleast) comfortable around the vhlportal players lists and searching for upcoming draftees and the like.

in addition to this it would be welcome to have an incentive to role-play more via a manner of blogging, a player's tribune with quality assurance and spellchecking or more career-tasks. I personally don't see myself getting attached to my sim player currently, being now to the league and coming from sba and mainly claiming welfare for my weekly tpe, but like many others have said in this thread it makes you more invested and interested in the performance of your player if you document their experiences in life on and off-ice.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, okocha5 said:

The SBA's portal sbaonline has additional links to historical indexes

We do too? or am I misunderstanding?

Hey everyone, the thing I enjoy the most about the EFL Is that they give their members many unique opportunities to gain TPE.  I enjoy how their site is run. They have a very professional and well organized simulation but the VHL  is also strong in these aspects as well. Where I think many Simulation leagues fail Is really creating that user experience and encouraging interaction between users. It has been mentioned by many people that the EFL play by plays would be a good addition to the VHL.  Even though it is not an affiliate site the SHO also does play by plays which are very popular with its members. A play-by-play would not have to be dearly like in the EFL but could be done as a weekly feature and provide yet another important site job for a member who is looking to be active. 

Another thing I enjoy about the EFL is there method of Uncapping in the minors. It lets users choose when they want to move up to the majors and more importantly it keeps the playing field even in terms of TPE and It takes the pressure off of the rookie seasons and encourages members to stay down in the minors until it is most beneficial for them. For anybody who doesn’t know the method of uncapping in the EFL let’s the user  choose when to enter the draft during their initial three rookie season. The seasons do not count against regression as the player has not been drafted yet by the major leagues. In their final season the player can choose to Uncap  And apply an additional 50 TPE in their uncapped final rookie season.

The last thing I really enjoy about the EFL that I think could be useful for the VHL is there a player brand. These are fun in character blog like task points that encourage character development and add to the role play aspect of the site.  If the VHL  was only going to include one new thing from the EFL I would suggest it be the player brands because I think they add the most to the site. Literally, the chance to do character building is greatly under developed On Most sites and the player brand is a great tool to address that issue.

Edited by BladeMaiden

I would also like to see theme weeks in VHL or more of them. In SBA they have one for all-star week with different topics every season, they also have one for off-season where the uncapped extra TPE is on quotes and press conferences. What I like about the off-season theme week is that it gives a reason to do those mentioned things on the site. Normally I would never write a quote on SBA, same with press conferences. During the off-season ´theme week´ I can do those and don´t have to worry about writing a media spot, that is nice.

Over here in VHL the same could work, push people to do things they never do and in return they get some uncapped TPE, it will also help in keeping people active on the site during the off-season, of course the actives one will be there still, but would still be nice if there is something ´fun´ to do outside the normal weekly grind.

Everybody has their own routine on what to do to get their weekly TPE, throw some uncapped tpe in and spice things up here and there, that is never a bad idea.

Well, there's 2 things I'd like to see added into the VHL from EFL, and both have already been mentioned. The first one is career PT's. Like others have said, these are mini articles that tell a story about your player, from what they did before college to their retirement. These PTs keep you motivated with your player, and add an extra level of engagement. They don't feel just pumped out like the biography does with its 1k words, that follows the same story line for most people. But they feel like yours, and you can have fun with them since the word limit is smaller.

The other feature I'd like to see added is live presentations. With VSN we're already doing this with the draft and award show, and we can definitely improve on it, but the live shows keep you more immersed, and build up hype, unlike the portal drafts which seem kind of anti climatic. Live games would also be nice, but I don't think there is a good organized way to do this with VHL, so you could do something similar to the SBA, and have a dedicated simmer who will sims 3 or 4 days a week, instead of every day, but have more games.

EFL link in case I don't hit word count.

Two things I'd like to see expanded upon are career point tasks and game presentations. Career point tasks give players more opportunity to build their character outside of hockey and it helps build the world around the league. The other thing I'd like to see is more interactive pbp/presentations. I had fun watching the twitch all star game last season (though admittedly it was because I was in it, and it's probably not a thing I would watch frequently). Still I'd think even just doing a pbp thing once a sim or a couple times a week could help build excitement around the daily games rather than just checking a box score each time.

So this is really the only league I’m in 100%. I’ve been a member of lots, including the SBA. That was one league that I did find similar to this, mainly due to the updates being on a portal. But what I’d like to see is some sort of “sim attendance” tpe where we can have a scheduled sim, and show up for it and comment x amount of times to earn one or two a week. Seems pretty insignificant but it’d be awesome if we could get game threads going that were live and allowed for more discussion. I’ve seen some game threads that’ll go by and only get one or two posts. I think it could encourage activity if you made it so people felt the need to check in each day at say 7pm ET to be there for the sim to earn the points.  And maybe if you attended 5 out of 7 sims for that week and posted in each thread during the sim you could be awarded. Not sure how it would work but I like the idea!

One thing that I like about the affiliate leagues that I’ve proposed a bit of a hybrid of before is career lengths. 

We’ll see if it ever comes to the VHL, but I like that you can pretty much go as long as you want with career lengths in the other leagues, with increasingly heavy regression the longer you go. I’ve always been a fan of letting the member decide what they want to sacrifice: a higher peak that is a bit shorter, or a lower peak but a longer prime. It would also make counting records more interesting: 1000 games would be really cool, people could actually hit things like 500 goals, 1000 points, you could keep chasing a Continental Cup, etc

But yeah, that’s basically the one thing I really like from other leagues. 

There's two things for me, one from the SBA and the second technically from both the SBA and EFL (although moreso the SBA).  The first is pretty minor, and the second is a more significant change that, to be honest, might not be something that could be accomplished here.  

The first is that because the SBA rosters are on their portal (SBA Online), the SBA was able to make the team sections smaller.  Obviously the VHL portal already has this, and with updates and stats moving more and more over to the portal website, I think the same could be done in the VHL.  I'm not saying the team sections should be removed completely - in fact, the individual GMs' posts about all-time stats, award winners, retired numbers, etc. are really interesting to me.  But since the "team update" threads are completely gone you can just replace the team sections with something like the SBA's "Franchise Bulletins".

The second would be adding the possibility for VHLM-only filler players and in turn expanding the VHLM.  Both the SBA and EFL have the option for members with a player already in the major leagues to create a second player for the NCAA that can only have 50 APE applied to them per season.  These filler players can either be drafted into the SBA/EFL and function as inactive players with 200 TPE after 4 NCAA seasons, or can be 'uncapped' at any point by going over 200 TPE and turned into recreates.  This might be hard to accomplish in the VHL with larger rosters, but I think allowing for filler players (maybe with a 100-150 APE limit instead, and allowing them to exist as VHLM-only players for a full eight year career?) and expanding the VHLM could make the VHLM more interesting and possibly end up giving new/active members more playing time.  

(310 words - wow that's more than I meant to write)

Edited by solas

I think that instead of having lottery inside of game threads, we should have capped tpe rewarded for a # of words inside of a game thread comment. The other leagues do this and would allow for members to actually look at the game threads.

We should also implement career pt’s so that people can be more engaged with their player’s and their storyline. I would really like this feature implemented and I fell that it would be appreciated by many people who already are into the storyline aspect of their player.

Also we can’t really do live games, but streaming the simming of some playoff games like they did for the final game would be cool to see. They have this in the Sba and I really liked how it was done and I think it would be cool to see here although it would have to be a stream of the sim.

Also, add a god damn word counter please. Invision makes it so easy all you gotta do is click a couple buttons. 

Probably on the wild side of things. I would love to see the VHL adopt a NCAA/Junior League System which allows the player to stay in the league for 4 years if they wish. As the VHL is the only league that does not employ this, it would bring a whole different dynamic to the League and I think it would be very beneficial as draftee wouldn't leave the NCAA/Junior League until they are ready. I think that would help spread drafts out more rather than having super drafts. I think it will also help fight against the 8 season limit as those who reach 199 TPE mid season instead of at the beginning when they uncap they can wait to uncap the next season and not miss out on TPE or waste a season in the VHLM which would count against the 8 season rule.

When i first joined the SBA i was a bit indifferent to the NCAA but now being on my 3rd player. I really enjoy the NCAA experience. I think the VHL should adopt this system and I think it would line up us with our affiliates even more since both the EFL and SBA have the NCAA System.