Affiliate TPE Opportunity

Beketov

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, DilIsPickle said:

Also we can’t really do live games, but streaming the simming of some playoff games like they did for the final game would be cool to see. They have this in the Sba and I really liked how it was done and I think it would be cool to see here although it would have to be a stream of the sim.

I mean it’s not impossible but that stream would literally be me or Devise downloading lines, putting them in, and then pressing one button. It’s not exactly riveting stuff haha.

8 hours ago, DilIsPickle said:

Also, add a god damn word counter please. Invision makes it so easy all you gotta do is click a couple buttons.

Also we used to have this, I’m not sure what happened to it.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:51 PM, Beketov said:

We do too? or am I misunderstanding?

Hah, that's great. Thank you. We can attribute this to " I'm not (yet atleast) comfortable around the vhlportal" very easily. And obviously, being extremely new to the league I didn't have much knowledge or much to complain about so far. Moreso babbled about whatever came to mind and happy to be pointed in a direction there.

So for my response to the affiliate PT prompt, I'm gonna be suggesting something that is in other leagues, but with a twist that the VHL can take to make it all their own. If that's not sufficient enough for this PT, well, across my posts on the forum and in discord I've had enough talk about what I think the VHL should be doing from other leagues to fill this word count at least 20 times over, and a lot of those things have ultimately been implemented (harsher update scale, more aggressive expansion, another offseason tournament, etc.).

So my suggestion is gonna be NCAA. I've long stated that an NCAA system can be a big positive as a developmental pipeline for the VHL. When I started on that crusade the VHLM was as useless as it had been for 60 seasons; it has since found new life due to continued nurturing from qualified members and the vigor of the VHL's sensational new generation. There are enough members that have fond experiences from the M, whether as a GM or just as a player, that I don't think it should be abolished anymore. So, this is where the twist is gonna come in (and this is something I've brought up before): make the NCAA a separate path new members can take in their pre-draft process rather than have it replace the VHLM.

This can have multiple advantages. It can placate the need to expand the VHLM as frequently as the success of the recruitment drives has necessitated. It'll give the VHL an unprecedented pre-draft experience. And it'll have all the original benefits of the NCAA system, allowing members to have full control over which team they play for. It also builds some intrigue, as each new member decides whether they want to take the VHLM or NCAA path.

Now, this would require quite a bit of working out. The NCAA system is designed to allow for slow building without detriment to career length. As a result, there would have to be restrictions in place. Perhaps something like a lower maximum TPE cap to mitigate the min-maxing that will be possible with the system. Also, those teams will need to be filled, as they likely won't have as much demand as the VHLM, at least initially. This can be achieved by letting members make filler players that are capped to a certain amount of TPE per season and over the length of their career, which can eventually become depth players in the pros or even for the VHLM if the league doesn't want those players in the pros at all. Or ADs can be allowed to create their own fillers for their teams. I'm not gonna work out the best way to achieve that, that's not what they pay me for.

There also needs to be a distinction between the two as far as advantages from a functional standpoint. Maybe allow for the VHLM to continue paying out store cash while the NCAA gives a small TPE bonus every season but has less overall perks, since it already has the advantage of being able to maximize pre-draft TPE without detriment to career length. This is another thing that is better served being fleshed out in a place that can allow for more organized discussion.

There are a lot of benefits to adding an NCAA to the VHL pre-draft process. In the long run, if the VHL continues to grow but wants to curb expansion, it can even raise the cap for the VHLM and turn it into a post-draft developmental league while allowing the NCAA to be the starting point for new members. The way I look at it, it's creating a base that allows for a lot of future flexibility.

Since I'm not a member of either leagues I cruised through each leagues from page and read through a lot of the other members comments, especially those who are active in the other leagues. There were a few things that stuck out to me that I think would be fun and could add some more TPE opportunities and help further league immersion. 

First off the PBP posts. Not sure exactly how often they do these, but even if this was only incorporated into playoff games or series deciding/game 7 of a series, I think that would add a thrilling element to what I think are some what "flat" sims. I do love the sims themselves when it comes to my team and I am one who usually reads not only thru the play by play on there, but also the super detailed game recap at the bottom. Reading through some of those PBP posts you can definitely feel the intensity rise and everyone getting really into the sims. I think this would also help create some rivalries between teams and players since people would instantly be a little more emotionally invested in these games. This would also help get people excited or invested in sims from other teams. This would certainly get me into other teams sims. I will agree with some of the prior posters that I am guilty of usually only looking into my teams sims and the team I am AGM for, aside from that its usually only for article purposes. Not that I don't care about the other teams, there is just not driving force to bring me to those sims instead of focusing my efforts on something player and team related.

I also really like the idea of career TPE opportunities. I am not opposed to the 10TPE bio, as it is a nice way to give a fresh player a nice boost right away for people who are a little more serious, but the idea of breaking this up, or maybe even just adding a few different pieces sounds exciting. It would allow for people to really create an entire life and career for their player and add more article and media opportunities. In a roundabout way this also creates "milestones" which might help with player retention since it is giving people constant benchmarks to be pursuing. Almost the same idea of mobile games, where there is always another benchmark or reward to be earned within the near future that keeps people playing.

Lastly, I like the idea of .5 TPE opportunities for sim posts that meet certain requirements and capping them at 1-2. That way it's not out of hand and really skewing TPE earning, but adds another driving force to review sims across the league.

In short, I think anything that can help encourage and increase sim attendance for all sims across the league will only better the league and help develop more league immersion which would help league involvement and retention. Also the idea of career TPE opportunities would be fun and help with player development and also help with future article and media ideas.

Maybe it's not for the near future. but if the recruitment crew will continue their strong run we could consider to change some things with the World Championship. Now we have USA and Canada and then regions. Scandinavia, Western Europe and thing. Maybe we could consider about running with countries other than NA ones. Like choose the most popular Europe hockey nations like Russia, Finalnd, Sweden e.t.c. Or even choose more exotic one. I mean, we could have enough players to fill 6 teams at least? Maybe I'm wrong and other members won't be ok with playing for a specific country, but that's what I was thinking. SBA is already running with FIBA so we could try to make our hockey version of Olympics and World Championship. By the way, I'm not sure. Are we getting payouts for performance? I don't remember. But if not, I'd suggest to do that. TPE, or maybe even money, like SBA is doing this. 

I'd like to see an extension of time in the minors. As a late starter I feel like I'm miles behind everybody. Getting 4 years to catch up and be ready for the VHL. I don't want to come up and still have less TPE than VHLM players. I also would like more time with my teammates and GM. It's been a welcoming environment and they've helped with walking through the process of playing. And I think it'll be less stressful for new comers if they don't have one to two seasons to get to the cap. Getting time to do their TPE opportunities. Especially since quite a few of us have school or jobs that consume a lot of time. I think it would make the VHLM more competitive and draft picks would lose some value. I think it would prevent tanking and make the league more interesting with trades.

1 hour ago, FacebookFighter said:

I'd like to see an extension of time in the minors. As a late starter I feel like I'm miles behind everybody. Getting 4 years to catch up and be ready for the VHL. I don't want to come up and still have less TPE than VHLM players. I also would like more time with my teammates and GM. It's been a welcoming environment and they've helped with walking through the process of playing. And I think it'll be less stressful for new comers if they don't have one to two seasons to get to the cap. Getting time to do their TPE opportunities. Especially since quite a few of us have school or jobs that consume a lot of time. I think it would make the VHLM more competitive and draft picks would lose some value. I think it would prevent tanking and make the league more interesting with trades.

As long as you’re under 200tpe, you can be sent down to the VHLM to whatever team owns your rights

I've had players in both the SBA and EFL, but I've never been active with either of them once they made their respective major leagues. I can't say I know too much about the other leagues, but I've been around both of them long enough to have a rough idea of what is different.

EFL - Like many others have stated, one of the things I like from the EFL are the different career point tasks they have. We have the rookie profile and the biography, but don't restrict when they can be done. Thematically, I think the biography is best to do at the end of your career when you can talk about your childhood and your VHL/VHLM careers, but most people do them as soon as possible to get a TPE jump at the beginning of their careers. I think we should institute more career based point tasks and restrict when they can be done, such as leading up to your VHL draft year, making the VHL, leading up to your last season, etc...

SBA - I like their player archetypes between positions, but it won't work in the VHL due to having less attributes to use.

The EFL Portal has the ability to transfer PTs to both players at the same time and the ability to use one PT for both players. I think this should be applied here to GMs players. It's not like we don't do enough work as it is and it would be a nice reward. I get that having two players is a privilege argument but let us be real. If you can't maintain two players you aren't getting the most out of the site and if you want to be a GM of any value I feel you should have two players. But either way, the one other thing I would love to see in this league is the addition of the draftee's button that the EFL has, it's quite handy for tracking growth. I know we have a thread but it's pretty cool to have on the portal as well. 

45 minutes ago, Bushito said:

The EFL Portal has the ability to transfer PTs to both players at the same time and the ability to use one PT for both players. I think this should be applied here to GMs players. It's not like we don't do enough work as it is and it would be a nice reward. I get that having two players is a privilege argument but let us be real. If you can't maintain two players you aren't getting the most out of the site and if you want to be a GM of any value I feel you should have two players. But either way, the one other thing I would love to see in this league is the addition of the draftee's button that the EFL has, it's quite handy for tracking growth. I know we have a thread but it's pretty cool to have on the portal as well. 

Can you expand on what the draftee button on the EFL does?

6 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Can you expand on what the draftee button on the EFL does?

You click it and it displays all the upcoming draftees sorted by TPE, it's nice for you to track TPE earning, I just screenshot it once a week and then sort it before the draft.

People are talking about tpe for posting in the sim threads, and this is something I kind of agree with, but in a different context. Back when I was VHLM Commish, I made it a rule that you had to post in 3 VHLM game threads in order to earn you practice facility. This really increased the post count in the game threads, and most likely had more people actually checking the games since they were there anyway. We could do this with our current practice facility, and make it so you have to link to posts in 3 game threads (VHL or VHLM) in order to earn your practice facility tpe. I also think it would be helpful to do something similar with welfare, or with welfare post a link to somewhere you posted vhl recruitment to earn you welfare tpe, as it still takes 5 seconds and helps us get more recruits. 

• Will unfeatured this topic