Nixon Weighs in through "collapse"

Bonzaijoe

We sat down with our good ol' friend Joe Nixon amidst a long string of downward play in this VHL season.

"It's tough, you know. I'm sure everyone's aware but not being able to go get the wins hurts. We've been playing solid it just hasn't been enough. Our team is working our hardest to go out there and put a good product on the ice," Nixon said this evening. "The crowds have been great and the city has supported us well, I want to let them know that we will get back in the groove and figure out the reasoning behind this slump. This won't last forever, and I promise you that."

The Wolves have not been playing well after coming off an electric start early in the season. Nixon saw more starting time throughout, but is backing up Iseult on the bench more recently. Nixon said, "It's tough to know that we're in the slump. This isn't all fun for us and we're continuing to improve ourselves as players when we face this kind of adversity. Losing is hard, and our mentality behind the game is tough, but we're doing well to keep up our morale as we are trying to get back in the swing of things."

Nixon said, on how he practices, "hard. It's rigorous. We want to go out and win and we have to practice as hard as possible to keep up with the best teams in this league. It means a lot to have these fans behind us and as a team, we have to help each other out just as much. It's tough to go out there and play hard and not be able to get the wins so we're working and working to make sure we escape from this."

On how much time he expects in the future, Nixon said, "I'm not sure. Iseult is playing solid and I'm definitely not better. My stats were kind of inflated by some lucky early success and Tristan is 100% the person to go with going forward. My time will come, and I'll deserve more starts eventually. Right now I'm still young and I'm still working on the future to be able to play at my best. I'm continuing to work with the trainers, coaches, and the team at all times to better myself and put myself in a place I know is good for me for the future."

On the future, and the new VHL expansion, Nixon answered, "I'm not really sure how it's gonna go or who's gonna be up for that," Joe laughed slightly, "I've been told that I'm a big part of the Wolves' future going forward but at the same time, if the expansion rules don't allow me to star, I'm not sure how it'll go! I'm sure the Vancouver front office knows what they're gonna do, though. They know what they want moving forward and I have full confidence in them to make the correct decisions to make the team better.

Thanks to Nixon for sitting down with us yet again! Good luck to him and the wolves going forward.