89 NEW LW - Ben Hafkey 36   USA itsmclovin
89 NEW C - Logan Swallow 36 PHI USA TriaL Exotic
92 Down 5 LW - Waluigi De Rossi 34 OTT ITA Kitras
93 Down 5 C - Matthew Tolsma 33 SSK CAN matthewtols
94 Down 5 D - Anthony Griffis 32   USA Tygrzz
94 Down 5 G - Marchello Mirabella 32 MIN ITA Wandering_Buffalo
94 Down 5 LW - Tim W 32   USA Spadesy
97 Down 5 C - Gervais Bulhoes 31   CAN HOCKEYBEAST9000

As with all weekly updates, Up/Downs relate to progress from last week. These TPE rankings were correct as of Sunday 3PM EST and were the rankings primarily used for this Mock Draft.

First off, for those who haven't seen the status updates, sorry that this is later than originally announced. I thought I would be able to submit a mock with an unnamed expansion team since it seemed pretty inevitable across the board that we were expanding, but was asked to hold off till the announcement of expansion was made. When the announcement was made though, I then had a run of birthday's and Mother's Day that meant my free time wasn't as much as usual. Hopefully I should have next week's rankings up at a swifter time next time around.

One thing to note for the Mock Draft is that I have not added anyone who hasn't added TPE to their player in a fortnight. This does not mean that they cannot re-earn their way back onto later Mock Drafts by adding TPE to their player, but given that prospects are generally going to be ranked on their earning rate, a player that hasn't earned TPE in two weeks does not offer anything a prospective team would be looking for.

The following Mock Draft has been done based on the VHL Standings as of yesterday (Monday) morning and with the expansion team Malmo Nighthawks picking sixth overall. First off though, to get a gauge on what they need, here's the mock expansion draft.

Expansion Draft Selections for Malmo:

From Moscow: Lew Bronstein

Moscow have seven active players currently on their roster, so they’ve got an interesting decision on their hands; protect all them and lose an inactive + a 3rd in likely this season’s draft or free up an active. So Moscow offer up Lew Bronstein (their oldest active) for selection, ADV considers trying to get Von Moltke back active from EFL, but does wind up going with Bronstein.

From Calgary: Callum MacElroy

Calgary have seven actives on their pro roster at the minute and elect to protect all of them, leaving a pick between Brian Strong and Callum MacElroy, a pick decided by MacElroy having a chance at earning TPE through the recruitment of Ludvig Sederstrom and Finn Theismann

From Vancouver: Jorgon Weyed

Another interesting scenario, I can actually see Vancouver leaving starting goalie Tristan Iseult being left unprotected here but I don’t think Malmo will have much use for a goalie with only two seasons remaining, so they go with Jorgon Weyed.

From Davos: Jack Lynch

I originally had Malmo picking Cayden Saint here, but since Malmo don’t want to completely overload on defensemen in this draft, they take Jack Lynch, who has shown solid bursts of activity and could be a very good winger in the future.

From New York: Paolo Nano/Vaydar Odinsson

I couldn’t tell from Boom’s topic if he intended to leave the league after this season or later on than that, but I think either way, he’s unlikely to be protected. If he doesn’t retire, I could see ADV taking a punt on him for certain, but if he is retiring, it will likely be Paolo Nano who, for the second consecutive expansion draft, finds a new team.

From Helsinki: Dan Montgomery

Vesto Slipher’s retirement has at least provided the Titans with an extra protection for this expansion draft, that I think they will intend to use on Orion Slade. This leaves Helsinki a choice between Dan Montgomery or the younger David Harrison, but I think he’ll go Montgomery.

From Toronto: Chace Trepanier

Toronto would have the option of either Trepanier or Lespineau-Lebrunette, but I don’t foresee Malmo having much need for a defenseman entering his final season in the league, so they take Trepanier who regularly submits for welfare.

From Riga: Anthony Matthews

I think this will be between Matthews and Basaraba Moore, two players who I think Riga would rather keep, but will likely have to expose to keep up their championship aspirations. I’ll say that, while Moore has displayed better TPE earning than Matthews as of late, Malmo takes Matthews mainly because they could use a center.

From Seattle: Gucci Garrop

I think Seattle will be picking here between Sergei Kovalev and Gucci Garrop for their seventh protection. While Kovalev is considerably older than Garrop and not that far ahead in TPE, the GM Blake Campbell

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST ROUND

1st Overall

Moscow Menace select Center Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Victor may have announced that his GM player for the Moscow Menace is going to be a centre, but should they win the lottery, I would highly doubt they would be looking at anyone else with their first overall pick. Helmsley gets a guaranteed 12 TPE per week through his recruitment work that winds up also receiving the benefits of TPE-events automatically, so there's very little chance that anyone is going to catch Helmsley in terms of TPE. Don't be surprised to see Victor hold off of adding faceoff points to his GM player until after the lottery is decided.

2nd Overall

Calgary Wranglers select Left Winger Shane Mars

Calgary already have a couple of very promising wingers in Brady Stropko Jr and Diljodh Starload, but with players like Aksel McKnight and Bryce Zhields either retiring or purely filling in as depth on the second line, they will definitely have a place for Shane Mars in that offense. Like Helmsley, Mars benefits from earning a capped 12 TPE per week from his recruitment job, so unless he leaves abruptly, the pieces are in place for him to become one of the best players in the VHL once he enters his prime. 

3rd Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Left Winger Julius Freeman

One of the bigger reasons for not just reposting the Mock Draft I made a week ago is the dramatic change in the VHL standings. In my previous mock draft, Vancouver were picking seventh overall but after losing eight of their last ten games, they find themselves picking with one of the first three picks. Vancouver will already have two full lines of offense before this pick (even with losing Weyed to expansion, they’ll still have Matthew Kai promoted to the pros), Freeman offers them a second winger other than Beau Louth who regularly hits the 12 TPE cap. Not only that, Freeman has earned an absurd amount of uncapped TPE through the lottery, which has helped catapult him to seventh in TPE despite joining late on in the process.

4th Overall

HC Davos Dynamo select Center Jet Jaguar

I remember back in Season 49 that Gorlab’s last player Bobby Digital was selected by the Dynamo and he demanded a trade because he didn’t want to play for them (In fact it was myself who wound up trading for him), but history shouldn’t repeat itself here as he’s talked on the discord about how that wouldn’t be the case this time. Depth at center is probably the main weakness for Davos as Connor McDavid (their current second line center) only earns a max of 6 capped TPE per week while every other forward on the top two lines regularly hit the max 12 capped TPE per week. Adding Jaguar to that and Davos have an incredibly dangerous forward line to keep an eye on.

5th Overall

Riga Reign select Right Winger Mikko Aaltonen

Reign were likely expecting a top four pick when they traded Leph Twinger for this selection, but with the Wolves falling down the table, the Americans currently find themselves in the wildcard slot. They still get one of their primary targets though in Mikko Aaltonen who, like General Manager Benjamin Zeptenbergs, is Latvian (or at least GRZ is) and will both now represent a Latvian team. Aaltonen has been max capping very consistently and will be a very good winger for the future, likely replacing the now inactive Kisshan Shan down the line.

6th Overall

Malmo Nighthawks select Goalie Owen May

I had to think about this for a bit because there’s a lot of very good skaters still available here and there are some good goalie prospects outside of Owen May, however May is the only one who is consistently capping out at 12 TPE per week and if you were to let him fall to Moscow at 11th, it could wind up becoming a decision you regret in the future. Norris Stopko’s playoffs just last season showed just how important getting the very best goalies can be and, if he continues on his current pace, May can certainly get up there.

7th Overall

HC Davos Dynamo select Defenseman Jerry Garcia

Davos will be waiting till the fourth after this round is over till their next picks and, with only three defensemen on the roster currently, they’ll probably want to make sure that they can get the best available defenseman in case Riga decide to snap him up with their two consecutive picks. While it’s extremely close between Garcia and Charlie Paddywagon, I’m giving the edge to Garcia here as he’s got the more VHL ready build of the two (which will be ideal for a Davos team that should be looking to compete in Season 66), but both are consistent 12 capped TPE per week earners and this is definitely the closest race for best player at their position.

8th Overall

Riga Reign select Defenseman Charlie Paddywagon

While Riga don’t necessarily need a defenseman right away, they will likely want to snap up one for the future as, while they do have very active defenseman like Ryan Kastelic, Shawn Glade and Basaraba Moore, they’re currently getting inconsistent activity out of Dylan Nguyen and Bolt Vanderhuge is purely a welfare player. Paddywagon can therefore potentially be the fourth super active defenseman for the team and will rise to prominence once the likes of Glade and Nguyen start to regress after Season 66.

9th Overall

Riga Reign select Center Bert Meyers

With Matthews gone in the expansion draft, Riga don’t currently have a young center prospect in their system and, with Podrick Cast and Mikka Pajari both hitting regression prior to the start of Season 66, plans need to start being made for their replacement. Meyers, like Freeman, has had an exceptional start to the league and could very well go quite a bit higher than this depending on GM member preference. He may not get many minutes out of the gate, but Meyers will go on to be a key player for this Reign team in the future.

10th Overall

HC Davos Dynamo select Right Winger Arnor Sigursson

Davos think about snagging another defenseman before they go silent for the next three rounds, but wind up going with the best player available. That would be either Shawomir Jagr or Arnor Sigursson, who are both very similar right now, but they wind up going with Sigursson. While I think Jagr may be the better prospect, it seemed from his media article that Jagr really wanted to go to Moscow, so I think the fact he’s very likely to go there with the next pick would make him extra disappointed if he goes here. Sigursson is still a very good player though, capping at 12 TPE the last few weeks and gives a more physical edge to the Davos forward line.

SECOND ROUND

11th Overall

Moscow Menace select Right Winger Shawnomir Jagr

As mentioned above, Jagr mentioned that this would be his favourite team to be picked by in the draft and this will fill a need for the Menace as they have just two active wingers right now in Matteo and Dan Bailie. I think they would also consider defenseman as well as, after losing Bronstein in the expansion draft, they’d only have Evgeni Komarov and Mitch Matthews who are active, but I think there’s a player he can potentially snap up in the third that fits what he’s looking for at that position.

12th Overall

Calgary Wranglers select Defenseman Aron Nielsen

Calgary could still use another active forward to add to their roster even after the addition of Mars, but I think they’ll make sure to fill up their second line of defense with this pick. After having his last five players in the VHL being taken no later than second overall, Solas re-enters second round territory for the first time since Season 27. Out of all of the top three defensemen I've had selected this draft, I'd say Nielsen is likely the most VHL-ready player and, while it has been a while since he's made a defenseman, his general understanding of the sim will likely see him distribute TPE a little better in the early goings. He is progressing at a solid rate TPE wise, currently flipping between 8-10 TPE per week, which is good, but not quite the rate of the other defenseman ahead of him. Hopefully this is a return to form for a very good member who has made the Hall of Fame once before with the powerful two-way forward Theo Axelsson.

13th Overall

Riga Reign select Center Maximillian Kirbsson

It might be surprising to see a player who is currently third in the rankings occupy this space in the draft, but ultimately this was triggered by the fact that I feel like his recent TPE earnings have been off the pace in comparison to the remainder of his forward competition, only earning six capped TPE this week. If he were to return to the form that got him this high up in the rankings though, then Riga have an absolute steal here and, like Meyers, an eventual replacement to the aging pair of Cast and Pajari.

14th Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Left Winger Dimitri Volosenkov

Another player who is ranked very high but is picked later than maybe anticipated due to recent TPE earning, Volosenkov has already demonstrated he can earn TPE as he’s already set to enter the VHL next season. However, he’s not quite at the same TPE earning pace of the other players taken ahead of him here. I mentioned it in another article I believe, but he really is just 150 words away from capping each week (VHL.com articles), and given that he’s done media articles before, he’s got that capability in him, he just needs to do it to prove he belongs with those taken ahead of him.

15th Overall

Helsinki Titans select Left Winger Kyle Sabertooth

With losing Dan Montgomery in the Expansion Draft and Bald Guy not having done much to improve his player as of late, Helsinki are desperate for defenseman help, but there’s a lot of depth at this position set for the third round, so they’ll hold off till then. In the meanwhile, they’ll pick the most talented offensive player available in Kyle Sabertooth, a podcaster for the VSN who is more than capable of hitting the 12 TPE cap pretty comfortably with his current radio job. This gives the Titans a player to potentially fill the hole that the retirement of Vesto Slipher creates.

16th Overall

Malmo Nighthawks select Right Winger Mat Tocco

This may seem like a very early selection for the Nighthawks based off of the rankings, but for an expansion team such as Malmo, this makes a lot of sense. In reality, the Nighthawks are unlikely to be competing for the next couple of seasons, so their prerogative should be less focused on “who is going to help us most in our first few seasons?” and more focused on “who is going to help us most in our third season onward?”. That’s where a player like Mat Tocco comes in, someone who is reaching the TPE cap super consistently (moreso than the players still left to be picked ahead of him in the rankings) and provides a great future offensive threat for the Nighthawks.

17th Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Defenseman Rusty Shackleford

Vancouver do already have four defensemen on their roster, but I believe they’ll want to have more future talents in mind for the position given that Samuel Gate has long been inactive and both he and Marvin Harding are entering regression after this season. Rusty Shackleford has been either capping at 12 TPE or getting very close to doing so since creation and should he keep that form up, he would likely continue on to be a better player than Gate was, even though the fifth year defenseman was taken second overall.

18th Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Right Winger Nethila Dissanayake

Aiming to be to hockey what Murali Murilitharan was for cricket, the Sri Lankan Dissanayake had a bit of an off week last week, only earning 6 TPE, but he’s been an active contributor in discussions and has shown max TPE potential in the past.

19th Overall

Riga Reign select Right Winger John Frostbeard

Like GRZ taken previously, John Frostbeard is another Latvian member who I’m sure Hedgehog will have an interest in. Frostbeard hasn’t been hitting the cap lately, hitting 7 TPE the last couple of weeks, but he’s certainly shown the potential to be earning much more than that. He’ll still be a very solid player even if he maintains the earning of the last two weeks, but returning to his previous form will be the factor that can turn him into a star.

20th Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Left Winger Chico Smeb

A member who has made several solid players in the past, Smeb will hope to improve upon those players performances with Chico Smeb. So far he’s on the right track, hitting the pension cap on quite a few occasions. Won’t likely feature on the top lines out of the gate, but will be competing with Volosenkov and Dissanayake for second line minutes down the line.

THIRD ROUND

21st Overall

Moscow Menace select Defenseman Codrick Past

Does Victor take the player who is named after one of his current players? Yes he does. Past has been pretty good at hitting 11 TPE per week with his player and it fills a need for Moscow who, like stated above, only have two active defenseman on the roster.

22nd Overall

Helsinki Titans select Left Winger Valeri Morosov

Morosov is an interesting case as his TPE per week has varied drastically week-on-week (been anywhere between 4 and 9 capped TPE per week). He’s proved with Otto Axelsson that he can make a solid player, let’s see if he can do the same with Morosov.

23rd Overall

New York Americans select Center Hans Gruber

Gruber is a player who I think could climb in later Mock Drafts as he’s very regularly hitting his welfare cap of 10 TPE. Gruber will provide a good backup solution for Odinsson down the line should the winger decide to leave New York this off-season.

Edit: Noticed after writing that Gruber changed to Center, but he can still cover for Odinsson for the time being.

24th Overall

Riga Reign select Center Ludvig Sederstrom

A player who has been earning solid amounts of TPE since joining the league, Sederstrom really only falls here because after the first few centers are taken, their isn’t that much clamour for a center. Riga have already drafted two, but they will play one/two of those on the wings until the retirements/transactions that end Pajari/Cast’s stay with the team.

25th Overall

Moscow Menace select Goalie Clayton Park

Moscow need a backup plan at goalie to challenge Chase for the number one spot in case he goes missing for a period like he did earlier this season. Park has less TPE than other alternative Wendy Kandee Cain, but has displayed greater potential in earning TPE, so I think he’s more likely to take this spot.  

26th Overall

Malmo Nighthawks select Defenseman Apollo Hackett

Very much like the Tocco pick, this is quite a bit higher than Hackett sits in the rankings, but he’s earning max TPE per week, something that Advantage is going to want out of his star defenseman. Hackett looks set to rise in future Mock Drafts with continued activity as well.

27th Overall

Helsinki Titans select Defenseman Cody Parkey

The first defenseman Helsinki take to address their need at the position, Parkey has shown capabilities of hitting the 12 TPE cap and has a couple of recruits (Dwin Championship and Duncan Jeffers) that he will gain lots of recruitment TPE from should he reach the required milestones.

28th Overall

Helsinki Titans select Defenseman Beau Buefordsson

Buefordsson had an off-week that saw him only claim two capped TPE, but bounced straight back with one that earned him 12 capped TPE, demonstrating his capabilities to earn TPE. Another defenseman, Buefordsson and Parkey could be a very good combination down the line should they hit their potential earnings more regularly.

29th Overall

Riga Reign select Left Winger Emil Passerelli

Riga pick up a solid winger to finish off the third in Emil Passerelli. While he’s occasionally hit the welfare cap of 10 TPE, one thing he’s had that worked in his favour was the recruit of Juan Jaundice, netting him some extra recruitment TPE.

30th Overall

Vancouver Wolves select Center Jordan Joshua Tonn

Vancouver have Beau Louth entering regression, so can start to plan for the future depth of the position with Tonn. Tonn has yet to hit the TPE cap since joining, but is a solid earner nonetheless.

3554 Words.

The mock we’ve all been waiting for! Very well done but you don’t need the new guy to tell you that. Ridiculous how much time you must have taken to brighten our day. 

This is the first time I’ve seen Garcia be projected as a first-round pick, but you make it seem believable. Can’t wait to see what happens!

4 minutes ago, uphillmoss said:

unfortunately you just missed my lattest update that brout me up to 179

Either way though I loved the article

This is based on TPE rankings as of Sunday—I’m at 182 here and listed as 160. I’d say this probably isn’t much different from the rankings if they were based on today’s TPE rankings—Tagger probably assumes that those who are active will stay that way. 

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

This is based on TPE rankings as of Sunday—I’m at 182 here and listed as 160. I’d say this probably isn’t much different from the rankings if they were based on today’s TPE rankings—Tagger probably assumes that those who are active will stay that way. 

yeah, but I feel like that huge boost would have landed me higher in the mock draft. But it's all good.

4 minutes ago, uphillmoss said:

yeah, but I feel like that huge boost would have landed me higher in the mock draft. But it's all good.

Yeah I got you there—this probably isn’t strictly based on TPE anyway. If I made a mock draft it would probably be all about TPE and there’s no way I’d be at #7. Good luck wherever you’re drafted and whenever; at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter

Yeah, John Frostbeard hasn't been getting much love lately, but that will not be the case soon - I just have to get more free time (It doesn't sound promising, I know) and then I can jack it up to 14 TPE at least a week. And huge thanks to @Tagger for kind words said about John Frostbeard - I hope that your words of him possibly becoming a star will come true and in a few seasons we will see him on top of the VHL in points! 

15 hours ago, uphillmoss said:

unfortunately you just missed my lattest update that brout me up to 179

Either way though I loved the article

As with all weekly updates, Up/Downs relate to progress from last week. These TPE rankings were correct as of Sunday 3PM EST and were the rankings primarily used for this Mock Draft.

literally this is the first thing he writes lol. how did i know this would have been the first comment

15 hours ago, Beaviss said:

@Tagger Moscow don't lose a player to expansion. 

So I thought we'd agreed on that as well, but I noticed the last post in the BOG mentioned that Moscow would need to be in it (although in hindsight, it looked more like they were talking about if we were adding more than one team) and since I didn't see any specific mention in the announcement to say they weren't going to lose a player (something I figured would have been added when explaining the expansion rules), I figured I'd best add them in.

15 hours ago, uphillmoss said:

Like has been mentioned above, the cutoff was towards the end of the week (would have been unfair to add any of the TPE from this week into consideration given people will potentially opt to do the same tasks later in the week), so only a small portion of that would have been included and prolly wouldn't have influenced the order of the Mock Draft.

There'll likely be another one in two weeks which, if you continue that form, could see you rise up the draft board though!

Edited by Tagger