Minnesota Storm Press Conference Questions

1) The draft is quickly approaching. How do you feel? Anxious, excited, indifferent?

I am kind of nervous about this. Why? There is a lot of uncertainty in this draft and I really could end up going anywhere and that strikes me as somewhat frightening. What if I end up in Mexico City? Only Lord knows how I'd survive there. 

2) Philadelphia won the Founder’s Cup by beating Ottawa 4 games to 1 in the Finals. Were you surprised by them winning?

I am not surprised that the Reapers organization won as we got a taste of them first hand in the first round. They were very strong and even on their off night in Game 2, they were still able to come out with the victory and the eventual sweep against us. Now that they've had their turn with the Cup, I would like to have my turn next season. 

3) Minnesota has made multiple offseason trades of draft picks. It looks like management is hoping to make a strong push in S67. What do you think of the moves Minnesota has made?

I am definitely surprised that Minnesota has decided to go aggressive early on - but that is good. It sends a strong message to the rest of the VHLM that Minnesota is serious about competing in S67 and that the Storm will be a fearsome one to encounter. I only hope to continue to be a part of this wonderful organization.

4) Did you spend your offseason in Minnesota or did you travel elsewhere? Where?

Once our season was over, I flew right back to Iceland, my home country. Nothing beats being home, and with my family and practicing hockey with my old friends once again.  It was nice because I was definitely out of my comfort zone for a while in the VHLM. But it was a good adjustment period, so now I know better what to expect next season in a full year. 

5) What fun activities have you done during the offseason?

Eat, sleep, train, and drink hockey. That was what I've done so far and it has been fun. I am already starting to see the results of my work and I look forward to showing everybody else what I'm capable of. 

6) What is your favorite food to eat during the offseason that you wouldn’t normally eat during the season?

I do enjoy a good pepperoni pizza or two. I try to avoid this in the season as it is nothing but grease and fatty carbs. But in the offseason, YOLO if you feel me? I probably could eat a whole box to myself. 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:36 AM, DMaximus said:

1) The draft is quickly approaching. How do you feel? Anxious, excited, indifferent?

I'm excited but also anxious, I hope to be drafted to a team that will give me the opportunity to be successful.

2) Philadelphia won the Founder’s Cup by beating Ottawa 4 games to 1 in the Finals. Were you surprised by them winning? No, the trend this season seemed to be alot of sweeps, not to discredit Philadelphia they're a great team.

3) Minnesota has made multiple offseason trades of draft picks. It looks like management is hoping to make a strong push in S67. What do you think of the moves Minnesota has made?

The moves are great, I like that management is taking an early start on building a contending team.

4) Did you spend your offseason in Minnesota or did you travel elsewhere? Where?

I traveled to Hong Kong to visit family before the upcoming draft.

5) What fun activities have you done during the offseason?

Mostly eating local food, enjoying the sights.

6) What is your favorite food to eat during the offseason that you wouldn’t normally eat during the season? Definitely a classic burger and fries, I couldn't eat this during the season.

S67 Opening Minnesota Storm Press Conference.

Answer all 6 questions and claim for 2 TPE.

1) You were just drafted/signed by the Minnesota Storm for S67. What do you think about joining the Storm?

2) What are your expectations for the team this year?

3) What are your expectations for yourself this year?

4) Looking at the rest of the teams in the VHLM, who do you think will be Minnesota’s biggest rival? Why?

5) What do you think about the Storm’s facilities? Any recommendations to management for improving the locker room (i.e. Discord LR)?

6) Minnesota is a beautiful state, known as the land of 10,000 lakes. Have you been able to spend any time in Minnesota since you were drafted? What do you think?

1. I feel good, coming in as one of the top available players I feel good about what Rayzor is doing with the team thus far. 

2. Playoff team, working towards a top seed.

3. Surpass my point totals last season.

4. It's still a little early to tell, were stl adding pieces to our team.

5. Facilities are great, it would be great if the LR became more active.

6. Not too much, just been preparing for the offseason in the gym and on the ice.

1) You were just drafted/signed by the Minnesota Storm for S67. What do you think about joining the Storm?

I think it is great, it was a great honour to go at 1st overall, and all the guys seem great so far.

I want us to make the top 4 the higher the better, the final is really where I expect us to be.

I want to put up 100 points it will be a hard task but I hope I can pull it off.

4) Looking at the rest of the teams in the VHLM, who do you think will be Minnesota’s biggest rival? Why?

I think it will either be Philly or Halifax it depends when our games are if we have a lot with one of those teams straight up, that would make a good rivalry.

5) What do you think about the Storm’s facilities? Any recommendations to management for improving the locker room (i.e. Discord LR)?

It all seems good I was just surprised I didn't see more people around. But you can only do what you can do.

6) Minnesota is a beautiful state, known as the land of 10,000 lakes. Have you been able to spend any time in Minnesota since you were drafted? What do you think?

I haven't had much time to look around yet I have been focusing on making sure that I train so I am ready for game 1.

In fact I was, I love the community there and as a rookie they are very helpful.

I expect that we get to the playoffs and try and contend for the chip.

I expect myself to have a below average season as this is my first season, however if I can just learn enough from the Vet's then perhaps I could do better than expected.

Well I don't really know yet, I just joined this team today so I'll have to take a look.

I love the facilities, easy to get into, great equipment.

Not yet, I will have to make sure to get to that.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, DMaximus said:

S67 Opening Minnesota Storm Press Conference.

1. I am happy to be joining my old teammate who's now in a management role.

2. I hope we can be a top 3 team.

3. I just hope I can do well and not have pressure on me

4. Philly, they are the team to beat this season.

5. The facilities are great, I don't see any need for work.

6. Minnesota is a nice place, bought an island here to live on for now.

1) You were just drafted/signed by the Minnesota Storm for S67. What do you think about ng the Storm?

Interested to see how the season pans out hoping for an active locker room and responsive managers, so far the discord has been fairly active no response from my manager yet though.

Clearly the expectation would be to win, looking forward to seeing how well we perform.

As it's my first season I'm looking to build my players stats as quickly as I can in order to compete at a higher level.

From looking at last season it seems as though the Reapers will be a good competition.

The convenience of the Discord is good,  the team info on the forum says it's the Oslo Storm... Not sure if this needs updating or it's that way on purpose.

I've pretty much only been able to play hockey in Minnesota since I arrived, am looking forward to exploring the state however.

1) Minnesota has started the season a perfect 6-0. How are you feeling?

2) What are your thoughts on your personal performance over the first 6 games?

3) How do you feel about your linemates?

4) Has the performance of any other VHLM team and/or player surprised you so far?

5) Win streaks like this breed superstitions. Do you have any superstitions or pre-game rituals you follow, or are going to start following because the Storm are on a winning streak?

6) Do you prefer playing home games or away games? How come?

6 hours ago, DMaximus said:

4) Has the performance of any other VHLM team and/or player surprised you so far?

5) Win streaks like this breed superstitions. Do you have any superstitions or pre-game rituals you follow, or are going to start following because the Storm are on a winning streak?

1 - I feel like we are really meshing well as a team and it's good to see everyone performing well

2 - I feel like I am not getting enough shots in for my liking, I am taking a lot of shots but just not converting

3 - Hooper is cool and I would like to get to know him better but Mason just doesn't seem all there unless he is on the ice

4 - Mississauga have been surprisingly good, not the complete bottom feeder most people expected

5 - I always have a very large bowl of cereal before the game

6 - Away games, I am enjoying to see more of the countries in the VHLM.

10 hours ago, DMaximus said:

1) Great, I feel as though I've been playing some of my best hockey in these stretch of games.

2) Very good, but I always hope to do more. Looking to be over a PPG this year.

3) My linemates have been great, I feel as though our team has great depth but of course it would be great to add a few more pieces.

4) No, I'm honestly more surprised about our great start.

5) No i'm not too superstitious, just keeping my game consistent.

6) Home games for sure, there's nothing like playing for your hometown fans.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, DMaximus said:

1. I'm pretty happy, we haven't played a few of the stronger teams but we do seem to be one of the top in the league.

2. I'm fairly pleased, been throwing the body around and getting us the puck back

3. Foreskin and Chan are two different breeds who both can play really good hockey. 

4. Not really, everything seems pretty normal for once.

5. I break a stick over my knee to start every game.

6. Away, I live to be boo'd at and jeered. Puts a fire under me

•  

I am feeling great that I am apart of a winning community.

I think since I just joined the team I have been performing how I should be.

They are very welcoming and some of the best in the league.

Not really.

Nah, I just expect us to win at this point because we work so hard and are obviously the best of the best.

Home games because of the fans.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:28 PM, DMaximus said:

1) I think it's great for the team and fans! It shows how the team is ready for this season. So I'm glad that my new team shows really good hockey!

2) So I'm in this team recently. In Mexico, I think it was pretty good. But there always can be better and I'm trying to do that!

3) Still, don't know them but I'm ready to play with everyone on this team!

4) I think everyone shows a good game. (almost)    

5. My pre-game ritual is listening to rock music before the game. ( ACDC, Nirvana, Metallica )

6. Home, of course home. Playing for your hometown fans is the best feeling!

Answer all 6 and claim for 2 TPE:

1) Minnesota got their first taste of defeat, losing to Ottawa 4-2. What are your thoughts on that game?

2) Minnesota is leading the league with the least Goals Against. What do you think about the team’s defensive performance?

3) Minnesota’s GM, Rayzor, has continued to make trades recently acquiring Alex, Kaspars Claude, Kefka Palazzo, and Tormund Giantsbane. Do you like these trades?

4) Has it been easy to integrate the new teammates to the team (if you’re a new teammate, has it been easy to integrate with the team)?

5) Minnesota’s top 4 defenseman are all in the top 6 of total points for all defenseman in the VHLM.  How important is their scoring to the team’s overall performance?

6) Goalie Justin Cole leads the league with 7 shutouts. Why do you think the Storm already have so many shutouts?

1) Minnesota got their first taste of defeat, losing to Ottawa 4-2. What are your thoughts on that game?

The better team that day deserved to win. When you go up against a talented team, you gotta give it your all. I feel like we got a little too comfortable with our streak and took them lightly. Was a wake up call to us, showing us that their are good teams in the league.

2) Minnesota is leading the league with the least Goals Against. What do you think about the team’s defensive performance?

Clearly we are a team built from the back to the front. The defenseman and goaltender do their job and it makes it easier for the forwards.

3) Minnesota’s GM, Rayzor, has continued to make trades recently acquiring Alex, Kaspars Claude, Kefka Palazzo, and Tormund Giantsbane. Do you like these trades?

I like this trade a lot. I had chosen to go to Mexico City and its a good way to see that other GMs were interested in me. To be apart of this deep roster is an honor and I will continue to get better to try and help out the team as much as I can.

4) Has it been easy to integrate the new teammates to the team (if you’re a new teammate, has it been easy to integrate with the team)?

Yeah I can not complain. I do not think I have any enemies and I am pretty active. Still getting to know everyone but we get along in the LockerRoom.

5) Minnesota’s top 4 defenseman are all in the top 6 of total points for all defenseman in the VHLM.  How important is their scoring to the team’s overall performance?

It is always easier to be a good team when everyone is contributing. But it just shows us how talented we are on the back end. We all realize the strength of our d core.

6) Goalie Justin Cole leads the league with 7 shutouts. Why do you think the Storm already have so many shutouts?

Because Justin is talented and we all make it our mission to help him out as kuch as possible. We try to keep the puck in the offesnive zone and we do what we can to get him those shutouts. Whatever it is, we block shots and we stay disciplined.

4 hours ago, DMaximus said:

5) Minnesota’s top 4 defenseman are all in the top 6 of total points for all defenseman in the VHLM.  How important is their scoring to the team’s overall performance?

1. We didn't have a great game but I think a loss was needed it is always good to be knocked back into reality. We are not invincible and we can't rest we need to keep working to show we are the best.
  2. I think we have one of the best top 4 D in the league with, Chan, Palazzo, DeYeeto and Foreskin they are winning us these games making sure Cole isn't facing as many shots.
  3. I think they were all great trades, really enjoying having them all on the team however Giantsbane doesn't talk a whole lot.
  4. Yeah all the guys have been great and with our continuous wins they seem to have slipped right into the team.
  5. Our forward line is still developing so having these strong defencemen assisting me up front is crucial.
  6. It is our great D-Line, they make sure there are no easy shots on net, every shot is contested and rushed. Cole is a great goalie but having this amazing defence in front of him makes him look on another level.

7 hours ago, DMaximus said:

1. Every loss stings, this one felt like a hive was dropped on our heads. We felt invincible going into that game, and were served a piece of humble pie. On the bright side, the monkey is off our backs. Instead of worrying about a streak, we can focus on playing our game. We have an outstanding team, I have no doubt the losses will be far and few between from here on out. 
  2. This defensive display has been impressive. It all starts with Cole in net putting up an All-Star season, and our defense helping him out. The forwards are playing two-way hockey. It has been a team effort, but man these defensive pairings and Cole have been outstanding. 
  3. Guess I don't qualify as a "new guy" anymore, haha. Any trade that makes the team better is a good trade, and Rayzor has hit it out of the park. I don't know how you take a team that is defeating everyone and make them better, but man he figured it out. Lot of magic behind the scenes. 
  4. It has been super easy to integrate into the team, everyone is super approachable and driven. Everyone is focused on being the best player possible, and it is game changing to be in a locker room where everyone is so like minded and open. 
  5. They're making us forwards look bad! Kidding of course, these guys are amazing. They step on nights when scoring is low and bounces aren't going our way. They make all of us play play harder and remind us that defensemen can score just as much as forwards should be backchecking. 
  6. To start off, Cole is a hell of a player and a great guy. Of course, you can't talk about the shutouts without acknowledging our defense, playing great two-way hockey. Additionally, our defensive coach has been on top of making sure we stay a step ahead of our opponents. 

On 7/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, mmarcoux98 said:

Eh. It could have been a better game had things worked out in our favor and we got in more scores and didn't gain so many giveaways in that game. It's depressing but hey, what are you gonna do about it? You just gotta keep moving on.

I think the team has been performing well on the defensive side and that D is the main thing that's keeping us afloat along with our competent goal scoring. Overall, we're doing pretty good Defense wise.

Yeah. Guys like these help bring more flavor and tools that are worth something to the team that helps makes it better. It's a price to pay if you wanna be good.

Eh, kind of. When there's been a good amount of trades, there are some guys who can adapt to the move easily and just kick back and relax, and then there's some who actually get sad or discouraged at how they've now left their home spot. For the most part, we've got the former and they're just along for the ride of hanging out with the team and working hard. Perfectly balanced as all should be.

It's definitely big to us in the way of how we get scores and how we've managed to up out so many wins so far. I'd say if it weren't for our D men, we wouldn't be in first right now.

Well ain't it obvious? Alongside Cole killing it in the terms of goal defense, the defensemen and the rest team have been doing well on the defense side to the point where we're starting to shut down offenses before they even have a chance to get near the goal line. So it's clear that it's the team's efforts that's making this happen.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:56 AM, DMaximus said:

1) Unfortunate, Ottawa seems to have our numeber. We will need to improve our forward depth in order to be successful come playoffs.

2) It's been a great effort from the team, but more will be needed against the top teams.

3) Yes, it's a step towards improving our depth and team overall.

4) Yes, I've been trying to include newer players in discussions while also encouraging them to cap their tpe. which improves our team overall.

5) Very important, but as we can see it can only take us so far considering our recent losses.

6) Great defensively against the lower seeded teams, although the top 2 teams seem to have our number.

1) We’re getting close to the halfway point of the season. Have your expectations changed from the beginning of the season?

2) Who is your half-season MVP on Minnesota?

3) Have you picked up any bumps and bruises or nagging injuries this year? If not, how come? If yes, what are they?

4) What is your favorite drill in practice?

5) If you could get away with it, would you modify your equipment? Some people bend their sticks too much, others may do something crazier like add bits of razor blades in their shoulder pads. What would you do?

6) Describe your perfect meal.

1) We’re getting close to the halfway point of the season. Have your expectations changed from the beginning of the season?

Honestly, not really. Yeah, we started off really hot and then we lost a couple of games. But, we are still a top tier team and we will compete throughout the whole season.

Our defensive core is so strong so I would have to look there to see who is our MVP. Kefka Palazzo has the most points on the team and is also 3rd in points in the league as a Dee. So, easy choice there.

3) Have you picked up any bumps and bruises or nagging injuries this year? If not, how come? If yes, what are they?

Hurt myself in the gym actually. Was squatting and my hips locked. We got a good training group here so they attended my injuries really well and helped the recovery process.

La Banane is the best one for me. Just going and do a turn at the dot outside the zone and coming down 1-0 with the goaltender. I need as much practice I can get on scoring, not going good.

5) If you could get away with it, would you modify your equipment? Some people bend their sticks too much, others may do something crazier like add bits of razor blades in their shoulder pads. What would you do?

I cant really complain. I wouldnt mind a sponsor cause I am broke, need someone to pay for my equipment. Itll be better if it was free.

This is so easy. Steak with mashed potatoes and esparagus. Got all the food groups, and it just compliments eachother so well. Its amazing right before a game

18 hours ago, DMaximus said:

1) I haven't been as strong as I thought I would be unfortunately but I have a great team so can't complain.

2) @HughJas_ has been a great LR presence and an amazing leader on the ice easily my MVP.

3) little bit of an issue with my left elbow but the staff here are great.

4) Suicides I feel like my skating improves each time. Plus just shooting on net that's my favourite part of hockey.

5) Get an Australian flag on my gear to show that Australians are just as good as everyone else.

6) Chicken pesto gnocchi, with an apple pie for dessert.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:07 PM, DMaximus said:

1. My expectations are the same every season, win the whole thing. At this halfway point, my expectations are the same, but I am more committed to realizing this goal than ever before. 
  2. A case can be made for nearly any player. So many players that aren't as flashy, force turnovers and lead by example. For my money though, Cole was playing out of his mind at the start of the season, and is still playing incredible. 
  3. I broke my hand in a fight last season, and it's sticking around. Additionally, I took a stick to the groin in the last community night and had to have that looked at. 
  4. I really enjoy shootout drills and 3 on 3 drills. They give our players an opportunity to be creative, and help us play fast hockey. 
  5. Easy, puttin on some foil. Give me an edge in my fights. On a lighter side, attach bottles to the side of my helmet with a straw to my mouth, gotta stay hydrated out there.
  6. My favorite food is spaghetti and meatballs, but a perfect meal depends on the people. Either a meal with my sister, or a few years down the line with my wife and kids, should I be so lucky. 

We have had a solid season so far, could still do with picking up a little in order to climb past the Reapers and Lynx.

Based on sheer stats alone Kefka Palazzo's goals and assists have been wonderful this season.

Managed to sprain an ankle after falling on it funny, it's mostly healed now.

General skating drills, I love improving my balance and speed.

Rocket skates obviously. 

Rice as a base, some vegetables, tofu or something similar and maybe hot sauce. soy sauce or another kind of source