Claimed:Trading Draft Picks

Trading Draft Picks

Are trading draft picks really worth it? Now I will give you a glance into trades that involved draft picks and how they worked out for the teams. The trades I will look into involved team’s way back in Season 1.

Tosl0lsg.jpg

Season 1 Amstel Tigers 1st Round Draft Pick ~ Left Wing Scott Boulet

Season 1 Amstel Tigers 2nd Round Draft Pick ~ Goaltender Drew Barclay

S2 Amstel Tigers (Avangard Havoc) 4th Round Draft Pick ~ Defenseman LaDanian Tomlinson

To1315790721-U11620.png

Season 1 Calgary Wranglers 1st Round Draft Pick ~ Goaltender Robert Sharpe

Season 1 Calgary Wrangler 2nd Round Draft Pick ~ Left Winger Petr Shirokov

Trade Breakdown

The trade that shook the VHL world involved GM Brett Slobodzian trading his 1st round draft pick which also happened to be 1st overall. This was purely a depth move as Brett felt it would be better to have 6th overall and 11th overall rather than 1st overall and 16th overall. Let this sink in though, for those who don’t know how amazing Brett Slobodzian was in his career, just imagine if Calgary had kept the pick and drafted Scotty Campbell. Can you imagine how much records would be so untouchable, like literally untouchable? It would be like Wayne Gretzky setting up Brett Hull night after night.

TPE

Back to the trade though, the final TPE standings go as; Robert Sharpe obtaining 188 TPE and Petr Shirokov obtaining 325 TPE for a total of 513 TPE. Meanwhile, Scott Boulet earned 510 TPE by himself. The other two earned 210 TPE combined with Barclay earning 184 by himself. So now if we add these up Amstel earned a grand total of 513 compared to Calgary’s 720. Pretty easy to see who won that trade right? Calgary did not only win that trade because after half a season Robert Sharpe was traded to Stockholm just before the trade deadline. So after giving up a chance to draft Scotty Campbell, they traded their first draft ever.

Career Numbers

The career numbers for Sharpe are as follows; 274 games played, 144 wins, 100 losses, 21 OT/SO losses, and 0.889 save percentage, 3.10 goals against average and 14 shut-outs. Robert Sharpe also was able to play in 15 games in the playoffs. He went 8-51 with a 0.885 save percentage and a 3.21 goals against average. However, none of this with the Amstel Tigers.The career numbers for Drew Barclay are as follows; 134 games played, 101 wins, 17 losses, 4 OT/SO losses, and 0.898 save percentage, 2.64 goals against average and 6 shut-outs. Drew Barclay was able to play in 19 career playoff games amassing a record of 12-4-1 with a 0.897 save percentage and a 3.11 goals against average. Most of this was with the powerhouse Wranglers though. With Barclay obviously going to the better team in Calgary as he was in net for the tumultuous season when they went 69-3. Sharpe meanwhile struggled and was caught with steroids. He wasn't allowed to practice in the first season so that was a downer for the Tigers who later gave up on him as I stated before. Drew Barclay was also traded, but I will get into these trades later you’ll find it quite a surprise.

The career numbers for Petr Shirokov are as follows; 290 games played, 121 goals, 213 assists, 334 points, +29, 432 PIMS, 371 hits, 778 shots and 486 shots blocked. He also was able to get into 25 career playoff games. In these games he put up 6 goals and 28 assists for 24 points. Almost a point per game in the playoff career makes him a valuable piece. The fact is though that he didn't put up most of these numbers with Amstel so this makes it less of a win for Amstel. The career numbers for Scott Boulet are as follows; 432 games played, 349 goals, 388 assists, 737 points, +401, 1329 PIMS, 772 hits, 3068 shots, and 174 shots blocked. Scott Boulet played in an amazing 50 games in the playoffs. In these games he was able to put up 29 goals and 39 assists for 68 points. Well over a point per game while playing solid defence which his +10, 90 hits and 30 shots block appoint too. Petr Shirokov switched to defence early in his career to fit the need in Avangard (Amstel). If he stayed as a Left Wing can you imagine the offensive numbers? We will never know what could have been for Petr other than he was very good at what he did in both the offensive and defensive zone. He was inducted into the VHL Hall of Fame in Season 5. Scott Boulet was too inducted into the Hall of Fame in Season 7. Both players had great careers, but with the longevity of Boulet, I think we will have to say Boulet had the best career.

The career numbers for LaDanian Tomlinson 72 games played, 17 goals, 32 assists, +22, 62 PIMS, 58 hits, 89 shots, and 109 shots blocked. This pick happened to be a throw in but with Tomlinson having a decent season, he happened to be more than that. Did he play for the team though? No he did not; in the not too distant future I will get into that.

Final Analysis

Well, after that breakdown it is almost obvious who won that trade. Although, if Petr Shirokov played as long as Scott Boulet did, and didn't change positions, this trade would look more even, but he didn’t so this is almost lopsided. Scott Boulet played longer, didn't get traded from Calgary, put up better numbers and was an integral part of the franchise for a long time. Drew Barclay put up almost the same amount of TPE as Robert Sharpe and had similar stats. Tomlinson was later flipped for other parts which I will get into after. I declare the winner of this trade the Calgary Wranglers simply because Scott Boulet was able to deliver a championship to Calgary while Sharpe was traded from Amstel.   

*sorry i couldnt get the career stats for the players in which they played with the team as the old site stuff is not working from S1 to 17 or something close to there.*

Edited by StevenStamkos91

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

1,011 words. When I was awarded first overall, I knew that I could transform 1 good player into 2 or 3 good players, which I did. In the first draft, there were so many good positional players that I could gamble on that first overall and get what I needed and more. The trade turned out to be something that set the precedent for the Wranglers and how the franchise would unfold, culminating in a plethora of success throughout history. The MS was great aside from some grammatical errors. Otherwise, it was a good analysis.

Grammar: 1.25/2

Unfortunately there were just a lot of things that added up.

team's way back = teams from way back

Tigers = Tijgers (x5)

LaDanian = LaDainian (x2)

how much records = how many records

season Robert = season, Robert

first draft ever = first draft pick ever

and = an

Tigers.The = Tijgers. The (spacing and spelling correction)

tumultuous season = you are speaking of the 69-3 season, which was far from tumultuous. Possibly a better wording needed here.

later you'll find = later, so you'll

in the playoff career = during his playoff career

shots block appoint too = shots blocked appointed to.

Left Wing can you = left wing, could you

best = better

Tomlinson 72 games = Tomlinson included 72 games

Appearance: 1/1

Center alignment, colors, logos...

Overall: 5.25/6

Edited by Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3 - The History Channel rolls on! I rather enjoyed this one, as it is a lot less subjective to determining who won or loss a trade when there is no potential for things to change, only the facts of how it went from there. Those facts certainly support your case here and I'm inclined to agree. Crazy to think about how 510 TPE was a high amount in those days when you have players retiring with more than double that amount now.

Grammar: 1.25/2 - Unfortunately, I also have to agree with Slobo: that's a laundry list of mistakes, one that's going to end up costing you. If you would like, I am willing to proofread your article to help catch some of those errors before your article is posted.

Appearance: 1/1 - (Y)

Overall: 5.25/6 - Keep 'em coming!

FINAL: 5/6

• 2 weeks later...