Semi-Finals 2 - Game 5: Toronto vs Riga

Devise

13 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Underdogs should never win in a system that's based on numbered attributes, really. If you got 90s facing 70s, why would the 70s ever win? It's not like they can turn it on and be better in the playoffs like middle six guys in the NHL in real life.

To be fair though, show me a VHL underdog team that won with players attributes in the 70's. That is kind of the only aspect of this debate that rubs me the wrong way. This happened when RIGA was wanting resims vs NY this season too. It's not arrogance it's just, how do you guys see that your team has zero chance of losing? That isn't the case. New York doesn't have players with just 70's. Hell even JHC has a 90 in an attribute. That is the whole point. RIGA and SEA were TOTALLY better on paper, by a slight margin. But all the teams that made the playoffs, hell even DAV/Vancouver can be counted among the group, have elite level players somewhere in their line up. Players with not just high 90's, but 99's in important attributes.

It doesn't excuse the sim entirely obviously, and I think Kallis struggles vs JHC's success is a good place to be frustrated at. But goalies have always been inconsistent in the playoffs as several members here can attest. The point is though that we build underdog stories in this league not from who is the worst but who we perceive to be the best. For it to be the "underdog story" and a highly unlikely win as most people think these things are, the underdog would need to suck. Most of the "underdogs" in these series don't suck. They just aren't as stacked as the teams we had as best on paper. Again I point out that the team OVR of both HSK and TOR are higher than not just average but like...most cup winners. The fact that RIGA and Seattle are so good is only a testament to how many good players we have in the league. 

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now and I'm sure another team entering the league matters. But yeah, 90's facing 70's with the 70's winning attribute wise is not something that happens. 

35 minutes ago, Devise said:

To be fair though, show me a VHL underdog team that won with players attributes in the 70's. That is kind of the only aspect of this debate that rubs me the wrong way. This happened when RIGA was wanting resims vs NY this season too. It's not arrogance it's just, how do you guys see that your team has zero chance of losing? That isn't the case. New York doesn't have players with just 70's. Hell even JHC has a 90 in an attribute. That is the whole point. RIGA and SEA were TOTALLY better on paper, by a slight margin. But all the teams that made the playoffs, hell even DAV/Vancouver can be counted among the group, have elite level players somewhere in their line up. Players with not just high 90's, but 99's in important attributes.

It doesn't excuse the sim entirely obviously, and I think Kallis struggles vs JHC's success is a good place to be frustrated at. But goalies have always been inconsistent in the playoffs as several members here can attest. The point is though that we build underdog stories in this league not from who is the worst but who we perceive to be the best. For it to be the "underdog story" and a highly unlikely win as most people think these things are, the underdog would need to suck. Most of the "underdogs" in these series don't suck. They just aren't as stacked as the teams we had as best on paper. Again I point out that the team OVR of both HSK and TOR are higher than not just average but like...most cup winners. The fact that RIGA and Seattle are so good is only a testament to how many good players we have in the league. 

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now and I'm sure another team entering the league matters. But yeah, 90's facing 70's with the 70's winning attribute wise is not something that happens. 

I was just exhaggerating the numbers. Toronto definitely has what it takes to win, I'd say.

I know your argument isn't really against me, however. Haha.