Semi-Finals 2, GM 6: Halifax 21st vs. Houston Bulls

Beketov

1. Halifax 21st , Basaraba Moose 3 (Edward Vigneault 1, Nacho 4) at 4:09

3. Halifax 21st , Teagan Glover 3 (Dimitri Volosenkov 1, Jet Jaguar 3) at 1:51 (PP)
4. Houston Bulls , Milan Griffin 1 (Viktor Kozlov 1, Samuel Sparrow 4) at 14:20

our players on fire here EZ1Homc.png

IDK how I feel about this anymore. I'm starting to feel like this match is simply a battle of philosophies in the VHLM. You have Houston who is a good team that runs 3 lines with a great group of people. Then you have Halifax who is running 4 lines trying to get as many people involved and excited about VHL as possible. Who will win? IDK? I don't know how I feel about what Halifax should do b/c I think top line vs top line its super close. 2nd line vs 2nd line Houston by a little. 3rd line by 3rd line its Halifax. 4th line vs Houston 1st line again. ohh? I know people talk about VHL being a two-line league but when its the VHLM I don't know what the right way to do it is?

9 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

IDK how I feel about this anymore. I'm starting to feel like this match is simply a battle of philosophies in the VHLM. You have Houston who is a good team that runs 3 lines with a great group of people. Then you have Halifax who is running 4 lines trying to get as many people involved and excited about VHL as possible. Who will win? IDK? I don't know how I feel about what Halifax should do b/c I think top line vs top line its super close. 2nd line vs 2nd line Houston by a little. 3rd line by 3rd line its Halifax. 4th line vs Houston 1st line again. ohh? I know people talk about VHL being a two-line league but when its the VHLM I don't know what the right way to do it is?

I'd have to agree with RJ here. Halifax has tried to be inclusive by taking a full roster of players even on the fourth line and giving them all ice-time. It isn't really fair that a team who chooses not to sign as many players gets the upper hand in the playoffs. It isn't really that encouraging for GMs to sign players as it is going to be their downfall in the playoffs. This really kinda sucks.

22 minutes ago, Thranduil said:

I'd have to agree with RJ here. Halifax has tried to be inclusive by taking a full roster of players even on the fourth line and giving them all ice-time. It isn't really fair that a team who chooses not to sign as many players gets the upper hand in the playoffs. It isn't really that encouraging for GMs to sign players as it is going to be their downfall in the playoffs. This really kinda sucks.

Well Minnesota is running three lines and two defensive pairs and Yukon is running two lines, while Houston is running three lines and three pairs. I get what you're saying, but I think Houston is far from being the worst offender of this.

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, Thranduil said:

And you’re seeing exactly why the VHL is a two line league. Ultimately having more players doesn’t tend  to produce better results because the best players can just play all the minutes and not get tired.

9 minutes ago, cody73 said:

So, if I'm reading this right... our downfall has been the fact we play more guys? Is there not a stamina stat in the sim? 

There is, but it's set in a way to make it irrelevant.  Also all players get their endurance stat set to 99.

I'm scared for this game 7.

9 minutes ago, gorlab said:

There is, but it's set in a way to make it irrelevant.  Also all players get their endurance stat set to 99.

I'm scared for this game 7.

wait so why not make those usable stats then? that would make a three line league and a real backup goalie viable

35 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

This is correct. We have a few skaters on the 4th line as well, but those have turned out to be our inactives. No reason to give those guys time over the ones who are willing to put in the work.

@Thranduil

That's fair, maybe its not Houston in particular. It's just a bit annoying when some GMs care more about winning than inclusiveness to the point where they won't even offer for the 4th line because they don't want to have to play extra guys and ruin their cup hopes, I mean this is the VHLM, the idea is to get everyone involved. It's annoying to see that some players go for days without a contract offer whereas when Advantage created at the deadline, all of a sudden, everyone has room. All players should be treated the same. I'll admit, I've been guilty of this as well at times, but it was painful to have like zero roster spots and seeing a lot of teams who still had spots not bothering to offer. The teams that care more about the players, suffer as a result. Again, not saying Houston is the worst team for this, but something certainly needs to change to make sure teams don't hold out.

5 minutes ago, aleks said:

how do i like this more than once

I mean I suppose you could start by liking it once in the first place

It's interesting that it took game 6 in the playoff semifinals to start another debate about team depth. Makes you wonder what the real purpose of the VHLM is. Hopefully making 3 new expansion teams will be enough to accommodate the volume of players we've got coming in while maintaining competitiveness, but I do worry that few teams will take on newbies late in the season in favor of concentrating their teams for the playoffs. 

Edited by Renomitsu