Rookie Profile: Aston Martin [1/2]

Sullvino

Scouts impressed with UK-born Aston Martin

April 16, 2019

VHLM Tribune

The United Kingdom may not be exactly a hockey hotbed, but heads have been turning when centerman Aston Martin takes the ice. Slated to enter the VHLM in the coming weeks, we decided to sit down and talk with an anonymous VHLM scout to provide us with his latest scouting report.

Name: Aston Martin

Height: 6’0

Weight: 175

Position: Center

Number: 88

image.thumb.png.b4def8558e1ed12091cf2c480bb4f960.png

Overall Assessment: Aston Martin is a dynamic centerman who brings a strong goal scoring and playmaking touch every time he hits the ice. Martin has very good size for his age (17) at six feet and 175 pounds. We think he still has room to grow and bulk up even more. Martin also has intangible leadership qualities that separate him from other VHLM prospects.

Pros:

Skating – “The first thing that sticks out is his skating ability and edge work. He reminds me a bit of a McDavid in this regard. He gains so much momentum and power through the neutral zone and is a one man zone entry. He rarely dumps the puck in, as he can skate through the opposition with ease.”

Passing – “Martin has an incredible eye for the game and this translates well to his passing ability. He sees the ice so well that he makes passes that some people didn’t think was even an option. Tape to tape.”

Leadership – “As mentioned in the overall assessment, this guy is a leader on and off the ice. He leads by example and does not shy away from being vocal on the ice. He was named captain of his junior team after coming over to North America from the UK. He didn’t know anyone, yet he was able to prove to the coaches and team that he was the leader of the team. Something VHLM and VHL teams will love.”

----------

Cons:

Physical play – “Despite his large and built-out size, he rarely plays a physical game. I think this is something he will need to incorporate when he takes it to the pro level. He may not be able to get away with the strictly speed and finesse game, but I may be wrong”

Shot – “His shot isn’t going to necessarily over power any goaltender at the next level. I expect the VHLM team to dedicate some time to improving his release and shot power in order to become a dynamic goal scoring center. Don’t get me wrong, he can definitely beat any goaltender, but it wont be strictly with his shot.”

Temper  - “With his great passion and leadership, he has found himself going a bit crazy on this ice at times. I do think, at its core, it is because he is so passionate and wants to win so bad, but as a leader he needs to also know when to reign it in and not put his team in an adverse situation on the ice.”

• 1 month later...

Review: Well written rookie profile. I enjoyed learning about Aston Martin and his strengths and weaknesses. The blurb about UK not being a hotbed of hockey players was great and added a nice touch to the profile!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Rookie Profile: Aston Martin [1/2]