Implemention of NHL Sim [2/2]

So I've been thinking about a possible implementation of the NHL Sim. I think this would help create more suspense for the playoffs because then we could all watch as our teams play and gives us something over other sim leagues

I think it would be easier than people think it would. Also, I believe that EA sims are more forgiving to goalies ;). So here are some ideas:

1. TPE Conversion

So the main issue for everyone is how TPE would be transferred to in game stats. So I believe that each TPE put into the category will count as 1 overall point in the statistical category. This would not change that once you hit 70 in a catergory the TPE cost goes up.

Skaters-                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Checking-   Aggressiveness, Body Checking

Fighting- Fighting Skill

Strength- Strength,Durability, Slapshot, Wristshot Power

Skating- All Skating categories

Puckhandling- Deking, Puck Control

FO- Faceoffs

Passing- Off. Awareness Passing

Scoring- Handeye,

Defense- Def.Awareness, Shot blocking, Stick Checking

Penalty Shot- No idea yet

Leadership- Poise

Discipline- Discipline

Goalies-                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Skating- Speed, Vision,

Size- Durability, Aggressiveness

Agility- Agility, Endurance

RB- Rebound Control, Angles

Style Control- Vision, Pokecheck, Breakaway

Hand Speed-  Glove, Stick H/L

Reaction Time- Recover, 5 Hole

Penalty Shot- Puck Playing Freq, Passing

Leadership- Poise

2. How the SIMS would work?

Every Tuesday, each team will play two games as has been done this past season. Lines and updates are to be submitted by midnight on Sunday to be counted for the games. Monday will give whoever is in charge (pick me) to implement all the updates. Then due to time restraints the regular season will be simmed in 4 minute periods. Then in the playoffs, Games (depending on vote anywhere to short-medium-long) will be played out in real time in broadcast view on twitch. All games will be uploaded to youtube for video proof. All teams will have 4 lines, generic players capped at a certain overall will replace any vacancies.

3. Will you be able to customize your character?

No. Everyone is generic minus the name and number and handiness. Since size doesn't do much in the sim setting everyone to an agreed upon weight and height may be a good thing. However if we are to use our actual values that's possible.

4. Will the VHLM Participate?

Most likely no, they'd use the Sim Engine. Unless someone were to offer help

5. Will Teams Be Able to Make their own Jerseys?

100% Yes. I will sit down and create jerseys with GMs during off season so that each team feels real

6. Wouldn't that be time consuming?

Yes, but not incredibly for me.

7. What if a new NHL provides different stats?

No problemo, NHL has been relatively the same attribute wise through the past games. We can adjust accordingly?

8. This probably won't be accepted in the VHL, would you consider a separate league?

Depends on interest

These are all vague ideas but I think it's very doable especially because there are only ten teams in the league. The offseason would be brutal but once I have everything set up it would be fairly easy for me. Let me know what you think, if you think I'm crazy or if this is something you'd be interested in doing.

Edited by FacebookFighter

• Commissioner

Honestly this is how everything was done years ago before the VHL opened and I can honestly say we never would have survived 12 years doing it this way. As many faults as STHS has it makes simming and updating incredibly simple which is its saving grace. @Beaviss can comment as to how much effort it is just to put together the all-star game in EA let alone how much work it would be to aim every game that way. It’s just too much required in the updating and simming department vs. A few button clicks like we do now. The visual is nice but it doesn’t add enough to be worth it.

With that said. 

We we are running a lot of extra tournaments these days. World Juniors every year as well as the WC and Sponsor’s Shield on alternating years. While it wouldn’t represent perfectly accurate numbers for these compared to STHS (does anyone really care?) it could be an interesting way to have those extra tournaments.

I just don’t think in this day and age it’s reasonable to have sims take that much effort when systems can be, and are, in place to make things much easier than they were 12 years ago. Every sim league regardless of sport has moved away from EA games for the same reason: it’s too much work for the reward.

• 2 months later...

Review

As I did this once before the VHL. I can attest to how much time it takes to create players and keep the updated plus running the sim. it was a nightmare. It's a very cool concept but there is no way we can go backwards. It's like trying to take away Welfare now. We just can't. once you make something easier you cannot go back and make it harder because it just won't survive the old way anymore.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Implemention of NHL Sim [1/2]
  • 2 weeks later...

Review: 

Fun to read about the idea, as also graphically it would be an improvement to the text-only that STHS provides. But for the longevity of a sim league this would be unmanageable, lots of football leagues were run on Madden in the past and suffered the same fate. Keep sharing your ideas though, as it is nice to read.