S67 Draft Class Preview [1/2]

Today we're going to be looking at the S67 Draft Class for the VHL. As it's still early we currently only have a few standout prospects but more could surprise us as time goes on.

This is my top list of standout players to me and is roughly in the order i believe it will go not incorporating team needs.

1. Bjorn Scoringsonn - @11 Eleven

Bjorn is a 6'1, 190lb RW sniper who excels with his bullet like speed, precision passing, and deadly shot. He's a little lacking on the physical side of things but he makes up for it by being able to outskate larger defenders and get to the areas he needs to be. Currently the only downside is his lack of puck handling, this will be something he should improve on if he wants to make an impact on the ice. This past season he had 5 points (2G, 3A) in 9 games played with a -2 rating. He's a promising young prospect at only 18 years old. He's been a steady earner these first few weeks. Keep an eye on Bjorn as we move ahead and see how he progresses.

2. ACL Tear - @Quik

Tear is the definition of an enforcer at 6'8, 250lb defenceman who takes no prisoners. At 50 years old, Tear can lay out massive hits having 16 hits in 12 games played this past season. He's not afraid to get in the corners and battle for puck possession. His presence on the ice is definitely felt with his willingness to drop the gloves with anyone who even thinks of snowing his goalie. surprisingly he only had 2PIM in his 12 games, I suppose the opposition was too afraid to try anything fearing they would be pummeled by this giant. Tear's skating is alright considering how big of a guy he is, the only area i see needing improvement right now is his defense. If he gets that up he'll be a staple in the VHL for many seasons to come.

3. Boomer Kuwanger - @Hybrid1486

Boomer is a 6'2, 233lb puck moving defenceman. At 18 years old, this young d-man has exceptional passing, skating, and defensive capabilities. In 14 games played for Houston this past season he had 11 assists and was +6. With 18 hits and 25 blocked shots he is not afraid to sacrifice his body for the good of the team. He has virtually no downside to him other than his discipline and lack of scoring touch, which as defence you don't expect that anyway. In my opinion this is the kind of defenceman any team would be lucky to have,  he caps out every week so GM's will definitely be keeping their eye on him as we move ahead. 

4. Wrike Chyrnoble - @Savoire Faire

Wrike is a 6'4, 220lb goalie. In the last 4 seasons, a goalie has only been selected in the first round one time at 3rd overall. Wrike is a very well rounded individual, with good reaction time, speed, agility, and rebound control. At only 16 years old he's one of the younger prospects of this draft but is just as competitive. His only real downside is that he isn't particularly great at any one given attribute but on the flip side that just means he isn't particularly bad at any one given attribute either. One thing to note about this player is that he was a forward at one point and has transitioned into goalie. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to take this to the next level given the inexperience he has being in goal. Wrike has no VHLM stats to report so he is untested in the league but if he continues capping out as he has this week he has the potential to be a great goalie in the VHL if he can climb a few obstacles in his way first. 

5. Rayz Funk - @Rayzor_7

Surprisingly we have another top goaltender prospect in the form of Rayz Funk here who is 6'0, 165lbs. These two goalies are quite different though in every aspect. Funk spends most of his time working on his rebound control which is definitely the strongest aspect of the game. Second to that he constantly working on his reaction time. He's able to track pucks very well and be able to react quickly to a possible tip or deflection coming in. As noted in his rookie profile a weakness of his is discipline. He tends to go after players who may have run into him or he feels purposely bump into him in-front of the net. If he wants to not cost his team too many penalty kills he needs to work on getting his temper in check.

6. Lucas Nygren - @Advantage

Lucas is the top center of the draft at 6'2, 192lbs i dobut anybody will be able to catch the growth he's putting out. He has a strong offensive upside with good skating, passing and an accurate shot. This is likely one of the safest picks you can have given the consistency of TPE earning through job pay and capping every week. His short stint in the VHLM with 11 games played he had no points but was a +5 with 4 hits. So far hasn't found the scoring touch he should have but with his consistent growth i believe he can turn into a VHL superstar given enough time. Only real downside i see right now is lack of puck handling ability and physicality.

7. Kevin Low - @Smarch

Another returning user here in the form of Kevin Low, a 19 year old 6'0, 210lb defenceman. Kevin is an excellent well rounded forward having great skating, passing, shooting, and defensive capability. In his 12 games with the Aces he had 2G, 3A and a +6 rating. One of his two goals was a game winning goal as well. the downside to his game is that he also had 12PIM averaging a penalty in every other game he plays. Giving the opposition too many power plays could be costly for him and his team especially in the playoffs but maybe he can turn it around and improve his discipline. He also has recently started working on his puck handling trying to improve that. He has lots of room to grow so we'll keep an eye on him as we progress towards the draft.

That concludes todays S67 draft preview. There a few good prospects in this draft and it'll definitely be interesting to see how they play in the upcoming VHLM season and the rest of their careers. Lots can happen by the end of next season. Let me know what your thoughts are on this top prospects list and if there's anyone you think I missed who deserves some credit.

Until next time.

Word Count: 1138

Edited by SirRupertBarnes

7 minutes ago, SirRupertBarnes said:

I’m still fairly new to the VHL scene. I thought GM’s could have two players in the VHL though. Or can you only have one per league?

You can have two. Ryan Sullivan Jr is my non GM player. He went through the draft. Nygren doesn’t have to go through the draft. He just goes to Malmo. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...