Aston Martin Bio [2/2]

Sullvino

Aston Martin

Biography

April 22, 2019

Image result for patrick kane portrait

Aston Lucas Martin was born on February 5, 2001 in London, UK to his parents, Rex and Marie Martin. Aston’s father, Rex, was originally born and grew up in New York working as an executive businessman. During a business trip to London he met his future wife Marie while purchasing a new Aston Martin luxury car. Marie was born and raised in the UK.  After marriage a few years later, Rex then decided it was in the best interest of his family to take a full-time job in London, UK and raise the family there as opposed to back in the United States. Besides Aston, who is the oldest child at 18 years old (and yes named after the luxury British car brand where his parents met), the family has Alvin (15 years old) and Jessica (10 years old).  The Martin family growing up lived a pretty average, hard-working lifestyle. One thing everyone in the family had in common was their love of sports and strong competition. It didn’t matter what they all were doing, each and every one wanted to be the best. Winning was of the utmost importance to the Martin’s; there were no participation trophies handed out in this family. 

Image result for youth hockey

Aston’s childhood was one that was exciting and included a significant amount travel due to sports. He grew up in the UK and attended early school there. At school, Aston was widely regarded as a confident young kid and someone that everyone in the school wanted to be around. He was a class-clown and loved to have fun, but also understood the importance of doing well in school. Aston played many sports as a kid including hockey, baseball and soccer.  Early on he developed a special love for the game of hockey – he was constantly seen by his parents playing mini-hockey in the basement by himself for hours upon hours. His parents decided to register him for a local youth hockey team, there were no try-outs, everyone made the team. His time playing for this team helped lay the foundation for his hockey career and solidify his love for the sport. He was a natural. Skating, shooting, stick handling all came very easy to Aston, which is something you rarely see in the UK. It was about at the age of 13, that Aston and his family had a sit down discussion to talk through his future hockey career. It was clear that Aston had incredible skill and was over qualified for the leagues he was playing in. It was also clear that the competition in the UK for hockey simply wasn’t adequate for Aston to continue to improve. After long, hard discussions the family decided to send Aston to London, Ontario (CAN) to further develop his skill.

Aston’s father reflects on the decision to send him to Canada to pursue his hockey career

“That was an extremely difficult decision for our family. Selfishly, we wanted to keep Aston as close to home as possible because he’s such a solid kid to have around.  Ultimately, we felt that he wouldn’t be able to reach his potentially if he continued to play hockey in the UK and this was the best move for him. It ended up being the correct decision and we are thrilled about that”

Image result for barrie colts

As a 14 year old in Canada, Aston initially was living with a local family that he met by being teammates with one of their sons on his midget ice hockey team. He continued to live with this family for the next few years and really became comfortable in Canada and focusing on hockey. After his 15-year old season he was drafted to the Ontario Hockey League in the third round by the Barrie Colts. This was a defining moment for a young kid from the UK and reassurance for his family that the decision to send him to Canada was warranted. He saw great success in his years in the Ontario Hockey League, becoming the youngest player to lead the league in points of all-time and really began to open up some eyes around North America.  After two seasons in the OHL, he began to explore his professional career in hockey. There was no doubt he would play at the next level, the question just happened to be in which league. Of course, the National Hockey League is every kid’s dream, but the rival Victory Hockey League was also a serious option.  Lately, many players similar to Aston have been choosing the VHL over the NHL. The VHL has been growing and becoming a very strong professional league and ultimately it was decided that he would enter the VHL to pursue his professional career.

When the announcement was made, he immediately received several phone calls and interview requests from VHLM teams, which is the VHL’s minor league affiliate system. Given the timing of his announcement to join the VHL, he was not eligible to sign and play with a team in the league’s 65th season. Instead, his focus shifted towards preparing for the VHLM entry draft in April 2019 and eventually the Season 67 VHL Entry Draft. General Managers of the VHLM and VHL have been fairly impressed with Aston Martin’s skillset and work ethic so far, but definitely want to see more out of him before they anoint him as the next great one. It should be very exciting to see where the VHL takes his professional hockey career.

Aston recently reflected on his childhood and life growing up:

“I have nothing to complain about with regards to my upbringing and family support. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by people who love and care about me and my passions. They knew at an early age that I loved the sport of hockey and wanted to take it seriously to ultimately have it become my career. They were there to support me along the way. I cannot wait to have them come out to my first VHL game – it will be a very emotional time for my family and myself,”

Review:

Really nice bio for Aston. It's wild he was able to travel all the way to Canada at such a young age, but they just shows how dedicated he was to the sport. The images are nice as well. The only thing I can suggest is to adjust some of the formatting, centering the images and adding some bold text to break up the segments of the bio would really take it to the next level.