TOR/NYA: S65 off-season

VHL Bot

I have no idea what's happening. For clarification Devise, I'm OK with this, but FA 's having their "rights" traded is stupid IMO. The season has ended, but I'm still contracted to NY and available to be traded? 

1 minute ago, BOOM said:

I have no idea what's happening. For clarification Devise, I'm OK with this, but FA 's having their "rights" traded is stupid IMO. The season has ended, but I'm still contracted to NY and available to be traded? 

Technically you are the rights to your former team until the second FA Starts

Yeah, just reread the rule book. It's still seems dumb. The player has to decide to do the right thing because he cost the acquiring team picks or players.... or to be an asshole and walk away. 

9 minutes ago, BOOM said:

Yeah, just reread the rule book. It's still seems dumb. The player has to decide to do the right thing because he cost the acquiring team picks or players.... or to be an asshole and walk away. 

alot of the time you can get assets for rights to get an early jump at contract negotiations.

3 hours ago, BOOM said:

It's more to get an early window into negotiation talk. No one would think bad if you walk and the GM knows going into the trade it's a gamble. Devise did the same for Keaton Louth two seasons ago and he walked right out anyway. It's not any more "asshole-ish" than any other free agency situation.

That said, I can now officially say we'd be happy if you resigned ?

6 hours ago, BOOM said:

It's also the way it's done IRL (I don't know if it's ever actually been done exactly this way, it just rarely makes sense to do so).

Season ends in April-June, depending on the team you're on, but UFA doesn't open until July 1st. Other teams can't negotiate with you until the week leading into July 1st, so if a team is particularly interested in re-signing you, they can trade something for your "negotiation rights", essentially.

Don't feel bad for saying no to the team acquiring you. They knew the risks when trading for a pending FA, so you can make the decision the same way you would if you had made it to FA.