Finding the Balance: Catching Up with Juan [1/2]

Jus

Hello, and welcome back to Finding the Balance with Howie Buskiewitz, our segment that focuses on up-and-coming players that have piqued our communities interest, for better or for worse. Today we are joined by the goaltender for the Saskatoon Wild: Juan Jaundice.

It's been almost an entire season since we last touched based with Mr. Jaundice...

Howie: Juan, welcome back. Our apologies for delaying this call so many times. We had a lot of important projects in the pipeline. As you may know, the hockey season is absolutely our biggest time of year.

Juan: Oh not to worry, I understand that things come up. And yeah, I imagine the season would be a pretty important time for a hockey show.

H: Wonderful. So, talk to me. How do you feel right now? How did your first full season being paid to be turned into swiss cheese*ahem* Excuse me, play professional hockey turn out? 

J: Well. First of all, ouch...I thought I turned it around after the midway point... But yeah, it was...eye opening. At first, Cinderella Story, you know? But that wore off pretty quik. I definitely took more steps backward than forward in the beginning. I felt like I finally got my feet under me about mid way through the season, though, and I had some pretty solid performances. Too little, too late I suppose. We obviously did not make the playoffs.

H: In fact, you fell just short of the playoffs in your last few games, didn't you? That must have been heart wrenching. Just absolutely soul-crushing.

J: You sure like rubbing salt in wounds, don't you Mr. Howie? Though you are right, we did lose it all in the final home stretch, and it was absolutely crushing. A lot of people look to the future and search for positives and I'm trying to do that myself.

H: And what positives have you gleaned?

J: Well. I came into a hot league with very little formal skills, and though I was bottom of the list for the majority of the season, I held my own at times and I know I stole a few games for my team. Our offense was phenomenal and our defense really showed they have a future in this league coming soon.

H: Okay. So there's been some rumors about problems in the locker room, Juan. Care to elaborate?

J: I have no clue to what you are referring.

H: Well, the word around town is there has been some hostilities flaring in the Wild's locker room. Maybe some dramatics among the players?  You have nothing to say about that?

J: I think any issues between the players in the locker room need to stay between the players in the locker room. Grown men don't gossip, and words get twisted far too easily. That's all I have to say about that. 

H: Understood, but I'm sure the truth will come out sooner than later. 

J: Look Howie, the thing is that anything you've heard or anything that's been said has most likely been exaggerated beyond belief. There are no problems in this locker room. No more than any other competitive team. Sure, some tempers may flare up and sure, some stupid words are said. But at the end of the day, we're still a team. We're brothers and we have spent the majority of the last season together. You'll have clashes, but we're stronger because of it. It's all about balancing everything.

H: You missed a prime opportunity to name drop the program, Juan. But, yes. Alright, I won't pry. Clearly you are the bastion of secrets, a veritable steel trap firmly clenched and unwilling to let out even so much as a peep. Clearly. So then, let's switch gears and talk about your future plans. What does Juan do going forward? Enlighten me to what the future holds.

J: Oh geez. ...Well. The VHLM Draft is coming pretty soon, and there's been talk that a few teams have looked at me, or at least I'm on the radar somewhere for some mocks. The prospect of it alone is very exciting. That's sort of ripped me from my doldrums, you know? Again, too little too late but I've starting feeling that fire just like when I first entered the league.

H: Maybe it's a good thing we haven't touched base since then?

J: Yeah, it might have been embarrassing. I was pretty emo for a while! I kept beating myself down, which...it's not who my parents raised, you know? I'm a lot stronger than that. I definitely lost my swagger there, but it will come back, you'll see.

H: Oh, yes. I can hear some of that swagger now. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's good to hear that again.

J: Thanks, I think.

H: Trust me, it's a compliment. But please, continue.

J: I've really taken some extremes with training now. I've gotten with some strength and conditioning coaches for the off season, along with the team's plans for me. I think when they see me hit the ice next season, there's going to be a reckoning! I'm really excited. A lot of focus is going to go into shoring up my fundamentals, and adding some tweaks to my play. I'm also in talks with an old school goalie. You know how I love the tried and true standards of goal tending, and I aim to bring those back to trend. The best way to do that, in my opinion, is to try and learn it from one of the greats first hand!

H: And will you be telling us who this so-called "Great" is?

J: Another time, maybe! Nothing is set in stone, you know. Don't want to jinx anything.  But anyway, thank you so much for checking in again, Howie. I have to get going though, the gym is waiting and my trainers really make it hell when I'm late.

H: Wait...can he do that? I thought we scheduled time slots in adv- Ah. Okay. Alright, yes, thank you Juan. We'll let it slide this time. Next time, stay for the agreed upon ti-

*CLICK*
H: I-I think he hung up? Ugh...cut to commercial. This damn kid...

(1038 words, claiming for week ending 4/28 and 5/5)

Edited by Jus

Review - A lot of personality in this media spot, which is something I love. Very few usage/grammar/spelling errors. I felt like the interview was well-paced and that none of your answers went on too long. I also felt like many of your questions were better than typical sports interview questions, which is always a plus.

I laughed out loud at the swiss cheese comment. Sorry for the rough season, hopefully you don't hold it against me!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Finding the Balance: Catching Up with Juan [1/2]
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, Renomitsu said:

Review - A lot of personality in this media spot, which is something I love. Very few usage/grammar/spelling errors. I felt like the interview was well-paced and that none of your answers went on too long. I also felt like many of your questions were better than typical sports interview questions, which is always a plus.

I laughed out loud at the swiss cheese comment. Sorry for the rough season, hopefully you don't hold it against me!

Thank you! It was a bit rushed on my end, but I really wanted to bang that idea out as soon as possible.
And no! I don't hold it against anyone, things happen and games play out as they play out, ya know? It's going to make Juan's rise to super stardom even sweeter when we realize he started as sludge. Honestly, couldn't have asked for a better start story-wise...stats are a different story haha.